U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 PM

48 posts, read 137,347 times

Advertisements

hey gang, the family and I may move one day to Virginia, or Maryland. The area would be in the eastern shore part of virginia, and the neighboring area of maryland.
If you were planning on living near the state line, what state would you choose, and why? Which state has a lower cost of living? (taxes).
We would be looking to spend up to 550,000, and like the ocean side of the eastern shore. Thank you for any wisdom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 06:32 AM

384 posts, read 899,403 times
I would choose Virginia, due to the lower income taxes. Maryland typically has higher income taxes but a low property tax. I think the real estate property tax in VA can vary by county. So you really need to check how much it is going to be. It is usually listed on the real estate listing. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2010, 08:02 PM

83 posts, read 252,758 times
If you are looking to be near the ocean do your homework on the Eastern Shore..

Maryland has Ocean City and Assateague Island, all State & National Park

Virginia starts with
Assateague Island Park then has Chincoteague Island then mostly marsh/wetlands.. no real "Ocean Front" in Virginia and very little in Maryland..

Virginia's Eastern Shore is pretty rural..

Maybe a visit would help..

Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 PM

791 posts, read 2,452,789 times
Maryland has tax-exempt groceries, but 6 percent on other merchandise. Virginia taxes groceries as well as residents' motor vehicles and boats annually.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:03 PM

240 posts, read 492,740 times
Great post! I am considering a move to the D.C. area and Northern Virginia (NoVa) came to mind (Fairfax County.) I was wondering if anybody could give me a little insight on Fairfax County (i.e. schools, lifestyle, cost of living, etc.) In other words, why should or shouldn't I move here? Which would you recommend. Living inside Washington, D.C. and especially Bethesda is out of the question (for me.)

Old 09-28-2010, 02:12 PM

48 posts, read 137,347 times
all great replies, but if you were going to spend 350-400,000 on a house with 2 or more acres of property. ( I would like to hobby farm) What state would you choose? Thanks again!
Frank

Old 09-30-2010, 07:05 PM

3,879 posts, read 5,334,090 times
Keep in mind Maryland has a millionaire's tax, if you're in that range.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124329282377252471.html

Old 10-04-2010, 06:21 PM

240 posts, read 492,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortlandtmanorresident View Post
all great replies, but if you were going to spend 350-400,000 on a house with 2 or more acres of property. ( I would like to hobby farm) What state would you choose? Thanks again!
Frank
If you meant me, the one I am really hoping for at the moment is Northern Virginia (only if I should choose the Washington, D.C. area.) If I picked Maryland, I would probably move towards Cumberland and avoid places like Bethesda like the plague.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:13 AM

6 posts, read 15,284 times
Hi, I am a newbie to this forum and I will suggest here for Virginia, it is a good place to live and you can easily get the house there. I am areal estate agent and helped many people in buying their houses, who are finding difficulty in selling house.

This will be the best place for you and if you need any help then, I am there to help for sure.

Regards,

Zoya-capitalareahomebuyers.com

Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 PM

791 posts, read 2,452,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
If you meant me, the one I am really hoping for at the moment is Northern Virginia (only if I should choose the Washington, D.C. area.) If I picked Maryland, I would probably move towards Cumberland and avoid places like Bethesda like the plague.
If by "Northern Virginia" you mean the suburbs of Washington, housing and costs of living there are extremely high (although they have come down some due to the recession). This is due to the many high-paying professional jobs, highly-educated workforce, and nearly full-employment rate. The D.C. area overall has the nation's second-worst traffic congestion, according to annual A.A.A. rankings for the past several years. Housing near "metrorail" stations is even more at a premium.
Try to live as close as you can to your job, if possible, to avoid sitting in gridlocked traffic for hours. Schools are very highly-rated in Fairfax County = this is also true of Montgomery, Howard, and Calvert Counties in Maryland.

If by "Northern Virginia" you mean the countryside further west, or Blue Ridge Mountains, then housing costs are less there. But there are fewer good-paying jobs there - although many people in outlying regions commute to Fairfax County and Loudoun County (Loudoun a few years ago had THE fastest-growing population of the entire USA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or