U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2007, 04:21 PM

26 posts, read 95,888 times
Smile Charlottesville or Richmond?

I did post a detailed list of what I was looking for - but will ask again if anyone has any feed back - which is better (aside from the school district - I have no kids)

Charlottesville or Richmond?????
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 07:24 PM

1,984 posts, read 3,713,361 times
Default Charlottesville or Richmond?

Charlottesville and Richmond are very close to each other. On I-64, I think it is little over an hour drive between both cities. Both cities are perhaps among the most historic places in the U.S. as most of America's founding fathers are among its products. Because they are special, the people in both cities tend to hail from some of America's "First Families". There is a feeling there that if you weren't born here, somehow you will never feel a part of either place.
Charlottesville tends to favor the more "upscale" students at the prestigious University of Va. The downtown Mall is sophisticated with fusion restaurants, italian gelato ice cream parlors, art galleries, etc. In my opinion, C'ville is a much easier place to live than Richmond. In Richmond, the city is segregated with majority African-American and the suburbs typically white. The west end of Richmond has a wonderful upscale mall, Short Pump. Richmond has an endless array of shopping and employment opportunities. The area is close to DC, the beach, Williamsburg, etc. Whether you pick C'ville or Richmond, both are very close so you can enjoy what both have to offer!!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:46 PM

Thank you so much!!!!! I wasn't getting any replies and I was worried that I was asking too many questions ... my other posting is likely too long - I will be working in Farmville as a Professor and have an hour drive either place I live - and I know, long drive but I am used to it - which would be easier to drive to Farmville from - Richmond or Charlottesville? Traffic wise road wise - likely no traffic where I am going but still curious.

The rents are about the same I am finding - (I have more detailed post - so I will not bore you now ..... ) but getting to D.C is it easier from Richmond or C-ville? Driving? Train? and the Beach - which months are good for it's use? Crowded at the Beach? Sorry for being so 'clueless' ....

Also, now, I am Hindu - but raised in Canada and America so I like diverstiy of all kinds - which of the two has more liberal politics? I am not even sure if I worded that correctly - I noticed more Ethnic gorcery stores in Glen Allen and a Hindu Temple (although I am not overly religous more spiritual, it is nice to know one is there) - but the demographics showed few Asians in Richmond and more in C-Ville - is that true? Will I be welcomed as a visible minority in Richmond or C-Ville? That may sound stupid - I know but again, I am completely clueless to the area(s) - I did read what you wrote but is there any insight you can add to the Asian observation(s) .... Thank you again.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:29 AM

72 posts, read 203,134 times
I rarely get on this forum-- but have to say C'ville is hugely more liberal than Richmond. Richmond has a big variation though in areas, like the city of Richmond fan district has a youngish, liberal population, near the college but overwhelmingly Charlottesville is a huge Univ of Va, intellectual, hip town, lots of democrats, where Richmond is prob more conservative republican depending on where you go.

Maybe as you get to know the area you'll find places to live closer to Farmville. You'd have more time to live if you aren't driving so much!

Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBB View Post
I rarely get on this forum-- but have to say C'ville is hugely more liberal than Richmond. Richmond has a big variation though in areas, like the city of Richmond fan district has a youngish, liberal population, near the college but overwhelmingly Charlottesville is a huge Univ of Va, intellectual, hip town, lots of democrats, where Richmond is prob more conservative republican depending on where you go.

Maybe as you get to know the area you'll find places to live closer to Farmville. You'd have more time to live if you aren't driving so much!

Thank you - that was very helpful!!!!! (yeah, I am not looking forward to the driving ... but it will be fine for now)

Old 07-02-2007, 04:30 PM

1,984 posts, read 3,713,361 times
Default Charlottesville & Richmond

Farmville is closer to Richmond and very little traffic until you get into Richmond. There is an Amtrak train station in downtown C'ville which offers limited service to Washington Union Station. Richmond has an Amtrak station which also offers train to DC. Va Beach is about a 2.5 hour drive from Richmond. I think both places would welcome you. Good Luck!

Old 07-02-2007, 07:06 PM

2,124 posts, read 5,426,178 times
nancysi, you can live on the southside of Richmond, in the chesterfield county area, and be closer to Farmville, and still have easy access the shopping you like. You can hit the mall in Shortpump by using 288 in about 20 to 25 minutes or you can go to Stoneypoint (sax) in about 20 minutes down the powhite pkwy. You can be downtown in 30 minutes. But your daily commute would be easier in chesterfield. The newer areas of chesterfield (around Hull Street rt. 360 and Midlothian Tnpke rt 60) have a LOT of northern transplants. You will find folks from all over the country, so that may make you feel more comfortable. As for getting to the beach, also very easy.. you take 288 south, 95 south towards petersburg, then take 460 east towards suffolk. then you will hit 64 west towards Virginia Beach. It is a locals secret, so don't tell anyone, lol : ) It is easier to navigate the back roads than fight the traffic across the hampton roads bridge tunnel to the beach. Also, it is easier access to the beaches of NC.

Virginia Beach is primarily touristy with lots of hotels and tourist shops and a boardwalk. a lot of energy. the outer banks of North Carolina are my favorite. mostly homes, beautiful beaches for miles and relaxation.

Good luck in your new job.

shelly

Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
nancysi, you can live on the southside of Richmond, in the chesterfield county area, and be closer to Farmville, and still have easy access the shopping you like. You can hit the mall in Shortpump by using 288 in about 20 to 25 minutes or you can go to Stoneypoint (sax) in about 20 minutes down the powhite pkwy. You can be downtown in 30 minutes. But your daily commute would be easier in chesterfield. The newer areas of chesterfield (around Hull Street rt. 360 and Midlothian Tnpke rt 60) have a LOT of northern transplants. You will find folks from all over the country, so that may make you feel more comfortable. As for getting to the beach, also very easy.. you take 288 south, 95 south towards petersburg, then take 460 east towards suffolk. then you will hit 64 west towards Virginia Beach. It is a locals secret, so don't tell anyone, lol : ) It is easier to navigate the back roads than fight the traffic across the hampton roads bridge tunnel to the beach. Also, it is easier access to the beaches of NC.

Virginia Beach is primarily touristy with lots of hotels and tourist shops and a boardwalk. a lot of energy. the outer banks of North Carolina are my favorite. mostly homes, beautiful beaches for miles and relaxation.

Good luck in your new job.

shelly

Okay - one guy complained that I have too many 'threads' ... I still have no idea how this site really works .... but I have to say thank you!! Actually, I have narrowed down my apts to two in each of the places - and one of them in Richmond is on Hull Street - so hopefully it will work. Thanks again - my only concern is car safety since I don't want to do street parking. You were very helpful.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,585 times
Nancysi,

Farmville is a nice area in itself. For big city, there must be a lot of realtors answering your responses here because Richmond is one of the highest murder per capitas in the US, not Charlottesville. You're right, Charlottesville is a college twon but it is an upscale college town. UVA has a high class reputation. Richmond is dangerous. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Farmville. Check it out. You might like it and be able to get a better deal on land and home.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:50 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,683,919 times
FYI, I'm not a realtor....

and labeling all of Richmond dangerous is like someone labeling Farmville a backwater hick town that has a big furniture store and that's about it... ignorant

Poverty and crime are quite concentrated in specific areas which none of us would recommend to a newcomer.

Good luck Nancysi on whichever city you choose... both offer a good quality of life and many amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia