U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 PM

430 posts, read 553,897 times
The other thread (Appalachia County Questions) is very helpful, KewGee, thanks.

On "...Carroll the best so far", I meant, what criteria have been applied that lead to the conclusion...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 04:42 PM

2,640 posts, read 157,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme2010 View Post
The other thread (Appalachia County Questions) is very helpful, KewGee, thanks.

On "...Carroll the best so far", I meant, what criteria have been applied that lead to the conclusion...
I meant all three of them as the best, Carroll, Floyd, and Grayson. I'm really leaning toward Floyd and Grayson though as they're not as populated and I think a little bit more scenic.

Some of the counties I was in during my short stay, the people didn't seem very friendly, some I can't afford, some have too many in population, some have a lower air quality, some are terribly impoverish, and other "silly" things than I'm considering, even ethnicity, crime reports, and an influx of people within the next 20 years.

I'm still interested in Craig County on the WV border but not far from Roanoke. I didn't make the trip up the mountain this time, but hopefully will next time I visit. Some have told me it's like Deliverance; others say it's a great place, so I'll have to find out for myself.

Like you, I'm really going to have to "live" in VA temporarily until I can decide and be certain. I'm too old to make a mistake in moving 1,000 miles away. I just wish I could begin all this "right now," but I can't. Grrr. This is one time in my life I wish I were a little older and retired so I could just go and do it.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 PM

I've digged a bit more about these counties, some like Lee seems reasonably sophisticated ...
My concern is if broadband Internet service and VoIP is easily available in these counties (search service provider's site by area code may not be accurate enough...)

With regard to friendiliness, all I expect is that people are reasonable, probably most are... and I'm not going to take jobs away from them ... instead, I'm going to spend ...

Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 PM

One thing I was told about Lee County near the Cumberland Gap is that it is a bit humid and uncomfortable. It was from a poster who lives in NC, but I can't remember where. She said both she and her husband didn't like it at all and it was very different from where they live. They were hot, as she said.

Just a thought for you. I don't want you to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:10 PM

Thanks and yes, of course not making any decision yet, not even setting my feet on the soil of sw va counties yet ...

Also, I'm not looking for paradise, and may I add, not yet

Old 07-06-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme2010 View Post
Thanks and yes, of course not making any decision yet, not even setting my feet on the soil of sw va counties yet ...

Also, I'm not looking for paradise, and may I add, not yet
When you do set your feet on the soil of the SW VA counties, please let me know what you think, find out, etc.

Good luck, and thanks.

P.S. I think finding paradise would be delightful!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:17 AM

2,658 posts, read 4,824,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
One thing I was told about Lee County near the Cumberland Gap is that it is a bit humid and uncomfortable. It was from a poster who lives in NC, but I can't remember where. She said both she and her husband didn't like it at all and it was very different from where they live. They were hot, as she said.

Just a thought for you. I don't want you to jump from the frying pan into the fire.
That was probably me, KG. I see you are still in the research phase. I hope the small amount of time you were able to spend in the area gave you more of a feel for areas to narrow down to.

I was just in that Cumberland Gap area last month, on a trip back to see my folks in the Midwest. That's as far as I got, though, my motorcycle broke down in Corbin. I made a quick fix and limped back home.

I repeat my stand on that area: it's hotter than places east. I won't boggle you with the details of the route, but I turned onto 58 from 421 at this town called Duffield, VA, and almost immediately started to elevate. Kinda scary 'cause the road went from 4 lanes to 2 and the grade was very steep. I think the road sign said 12%. Once through there, I was in a valley between two steep ridges. Very scenic, but I think the terrain has a tunneling effect on weather. Hot.

I know you don't want to be in an area that will develop into sprawl over the next 20 years, but I hope you do (on a longer trip) get a chance to check out the Damascus, VA area. I took 421 to Boone (NASTY town, I don't see what the attraction is) and then more of 421 (running into road construction being done to deal with the growth of the area) to Mountain City. Now that's a neat little town, but expected to see growth - unfortunately. Take 93 out of Mountain City to Damascus. Between those two towns is rolling mountain farmland that turns to a narrow, squiggly trace between a national forest, bordered by a wild stream. Then into Damascus, which is popular because of a bike trail that runs thru there: the Virginia Creeper. At least check it out to observe the little piece of heaven it is right now. When a 1/3 acre lot in town, on a flood plain, has an asking price of 53K (up from its previous 50k), you know what's going to happen to the town. I stopped there on my trip for a butt break and just to walk around a bit. If I won a very large lottery, I know the first thing I'd do is buy up as much property in that area to keep it from being developed.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:37 AM

16 posts, read 58,830 times
Check out Floyd, VA a bit more. If you looking for an area that is liberal, without a lot of government interaction, a lot of farmland, and a nice music scene, it may be a good match for you. Everyone I have ever met there was fantastic. I pulled some websites for you...
Floyd Virginia Online - Discover the heart of the Virginia Blue Ridge
Welcome to Floyd County - Visitors

Best of luck!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post

That was probably me, KG. I see you are still in the research phase. I hope the small amount of time you were able to spend in the area gave you more of a feel for areas to narrow down to.

I was just in that Cumberland Gap area last month, on a trip back to see my folks in the Midwest. That's as far as I got, though, my motorcycle broke down in Corbin. I made a quick fix and limped back home.

I repeat my stand on that area: it's hotter than places east. I won't boggle you with the details of the route, but I turned onto 58 from 421 at this town called Duffield, VA, and almost immediately started to elevate. Kinda scary 'cause the road went from 4 lanes to 2 and the grade was very steep. I think the road sign said 12%. Once through there, I was in a valley between two steep ridges. Very scenic, but I think the terrain has a tunneling effect on weather. Hot.

I know you don't want to be in an area that will develop into sprawl over the next 20 years, but I hope you do (on a longer trip) get a chance to check out the Damascus, VA area. I took 421 to Boone (NASTY town, I don't see what the attraction is) and then more of 421 (running into road construction being done to deal with the growth of the area) to Mountain City. Now that's a neat little town, but expected to see growth - unfortunately. Take 93 out of Mountain City to Damascus. Between those two towns is rolling mountain farmland that turns to a narrow, squiggly trace between a national forest, bordered by a wild stream. Then into Damascus, which is popular because of a bike trail that runs thru there: the Virginia Creeper. At least check it out to observe the little piece of heaven it is right now. When a 1/3 acre lot in town, on a flood plain, has an asking price of 53K (up from its previous 50k), you know what's going to happen to the town. I stopped there on my trip for a butt break and just to walk around a bit. If I won a very large lottery, I know the first thing I'd do is buy up as much property in that area to keep it from being developed.
Hey silverwing...........

Yes, it was you that I quoted about Lee County, but I didn't mention that in my post.

I thought about you numerous times while in VA and pictured you whizzing along the roads on your bike. I had copies of all your posts with me along with the ones from others. I had planned on spending two weeks there, but that plan fell through. I'm just so thankful I was able to go at all. It was only for four days and two of the days were partially spent on driving to and from GA.

We did go to Damascus and walked a ways on the VC Trail. It was a very nice area. We were there on Father's Day and it was a little warmer than I had expected, but not too bad.

We traveled towards Saltville (another one of your recommendations) before Damascus and stopped at an overlook to view the town. It was very pretty looking down into the valley. I've attached a photo from there. I zoomed in on the valley, so it appears closer on the pic than it actually was. The photos I took while in SW VA don't do the area justice. Everywhere we drove were rolling hills, mountains, valleys, tall trees, or forests. There just wasn't one bit of unattractiveness in nature that I saw.

I so wanted to go to New Castle in Craig County but while beginning the drive up the mountain, we both chickened out. Heights are not our thing. Next time I swear I'll just do it to overcome my fear and travel outside of my comfort zone.

There was another town (I can't remember now what town) we wanted to go to via Catawba, but it looked like another frightful road on the map. We asked a local about it and she said there wasn't any way she'd drive that road; hence, we by-passed Catawba and took the more traveled road. I swear I will take the less traveled road one of these days. I won't be satisfied until I do.

Without a doubt, I loved the area. I particularly liked Check, VA in Floyd County, but there were other places that were great as well. The Piper's Gap area was wonderful in Carroll County.

I also have ruled out several areas, but still want to recheck again. I'm still concerned about the four-lane highway you mentioned. I can't remember it right now, but it's in my notes from you.

They definitely are going to build that prison in Grayson County. It will be outside of Independence. Some of the wonderful locals in Galax told us of such. Apparently, the people won about it not being built on the New River, but it's still going to be in the county. I liked Grayson, but that prison is still a turn off.

For a town too large for me, I did like Galax and wouldn't mind living near it, but not too close for sure. The town and it's people were really great.

You know, I'm so unfamiliar with the area and all that I have to be alert about, that I'm getting confused. I have to live there for a month or more before I can truly decide for sure what area I want to live. Of course, I must overcome my fear of winding roads too as I may really miss one of the better areas if I don't.

If I had the money, I'd move today. I even went so far as looking for jobs in the Grayson and Floyd County schools. I work in a school system now, but as a paraprofessional, not a teacher. There are openings and I was so tempted to apply, but I'm not being realistic. One just can't move that quickly with a house to sell, etc.

It was great to see your post. I really do think about you often.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/Saltville4.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-07-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
Check out Floyd, VA a bit more. If you looking for an area that is liberal, without a lot of government interaction, a lot of farmland, and a nice music scene, it may be a good match for you. Everyone I have ever met there was fantastic. I pulled some websites for you...
Floyd Virginia Online - Discover the heart of the Virginia Blue Ridge
Welcome to Floyd County - Visitors

Best of luck!

Thanks for the sites. I really didn't have a good enough look at Floyd while there, no time. After doing all my research on the web, Floyd has appealed to me very much in so many aspects, crime, air quality, water quality, weather, and the list goes on. I surely have it on the top of my list even though I didn't get to spend much time there.

Like I said in the post above, I liked the Check, VA (Floyd County) countryside very much. There will be more to find one of these days in SW VA. Next time, I must have more time.

Last edited by KewGee; 07-07-2007 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia