Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 02:59 PM

27 posts, read 58,834 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Although I have been reading this forum for a while, this is my first message, so bear with me if I don't get all the "protocols" just right this first time in terms of information needed to get good answers from you guys.

I've seen a lot of messages about families wanting info about where to move in NoVa. My situation is a little different. I'm thinking of moving up to the DC area for early retirement. So I don't need any info on good schools or commuting problems. I have no kids and a vibrant social life is not tops in my agenda. I don't mind the small town feeling (like Leesburg) nor the suburbia lifestyle (Reston is right now my top pick).

I just want a nice quiet place to retire, where I'll be mostly a "homebody". A place where taxes are not the highest and there are local access to walkways and good, affordable restaurants. I don't need close access to a big mall since I don't frequent them that much. My favorite stores to go to are Barnes & Noble, Borders, Best Buy, and the occasional used bookstore/used CDmusic store, a nice movieplex and Starbucks. What can I say? I am your cliched insufferable yuppie, living by myself. I'm moving to the DC area to be closer to more cultural events, and better access to a large international airport for traveling than we have here in Kentucky.

I am looking for a 1 or 2 BR. Condo/TH as I am not a lover of yard work. My (hopeful) limit to spend on a condo is 200K. Although it is a bit soon for the actual move, it would be nice to lock in a good price on a condo before real estate prices start to skyrocket again (and it gives me time to get all the info I need). I have seen a few places that fit my bill on Zillow and Trulia. I went to Nova a couple months ago, and the places that seemed the best so far, were Reston, Ashburn, and Sterling. Arlington is too close to DC, too expensive, and not enough of an open-space feeling. McLean just seemed way out of my budget. Leesburg looked Ok but it is kinda isolated in the NW corner of the area. Herndon, south of the Dulles Toll looked OK, but not to the north of it where I imediately felt I had landed in South America (where I spent 4 not-very-enjoyable years and would prefer to stay away from a potential repeat of that situation). No, I am not a racist ( I have good friends from India, Japan, UK, France, Argentina, Ecuador, etc. and I am a foreigner myself, from western europe).

I don't know much about other places like Oakton, Burke, Centreville, Montclair, Woodbridge, and even all the way down to Fredericksburg. My other choice is Richmond but that is for another Thread.

So for a single, early to mid-fifties, no kids, bicycle-riding, frugal living-and-spending, not too concerned with dating anymore, who likes to get on a plane to see western europe (occasionally, as in once every 2 years or so), likes good restaurants but not the stuffy and expensive kind; what is in your opinion the best place to retire in the NoVa area?

Man, for a goofball that refuses to grow up, I sure came across as a pretentious a**.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 03:37 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,737,428 times
You will probably get better responses on the Northern Virginia forum. If you like to bike, you might like to stay close the W&OD Trail. It is 44 miles from Arlington to Purcellville. I think Reston would probably fit the bill for you. There is a Barnes & Noble, Best Buy (I think) as well as lots of condominiums, and you can access the bike trail from there. It isn't far from Dulles Airport either. Oakton probably does not have as many condos as Reston, although it may be closer to the Metro if you like to ride into DC for the cultural events. I'm not super familiar with Burke, but others seem to love it. Again, not sure how many condos there are. The Fair Lakes area of Fairfax has lots of condos, I believe. And there is a decent Reston Town Center-type place called Fairfax Corner nearby. Centreville is a bit cheaper than the others and a bit farther out. But you could probably get what you want there. I'll let others comment on Montclair/Woodbridge. They are in Prince William County, which is generally cheaper than Fairfax County. Manassas has a great used bookstore called McKays that I love to visit! HTH.

ETA: Two other places you might want to consider are Bristow and Gainesville. They are in the western part of Prince William County, and there is a lot of building going on there now with lots of box store places. It is farther out, but newer.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:02 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times
Curious why you decided on NoVa.... sounds like you'd be more at home in places like Lynchburg, Culpeper, etc.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 PM

4,893 posts, read 7,412,188 times
I, too, was wondering how you picked NoVa.

From reading your descriptions, the first place that came to my mind was Bethesda, Maryland. The Crescent Trail for bike-riding, Barnes & Noble, tons of restaurants, Metro for trips into DC, very walkable, art galleries, Strathmore Center for cultural events. There are a handful of condos (4242 East-West Hywy area) in that price range. Bethesda is a sophisticated, urbane, cosmopolitan area. The only downside might be it is a fairly high tax area. But you might want to look.

Good luck.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,737,428 times
I used to live in those condos. They're older, but you can't beat the location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
There are a handful of condos (4242 East-West Hywy area) in that price range.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I used to live in those condos. They're older, but you can't beat the location!
Hey!! They're not that old -- I remember when they were being built! My mother was convinced that high rises would be the downfall of Bethesda!

But, yes, the location is really good.

I had another thought for the OP: how about Fairfax City? Walkable, Metro, George Mason University for cultural events, Starbucks etc. Pretty similar to Bethesda demographically.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Default How I picked Nova

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I'm already getting info that I otherwise would not have known about.

You wonder how I picked Nova? Here goes...

I had four criteria. 1- I want a place closer to the coast, but also close to the mountains. I lived in Knoxville, TN for a while and really enjoyed just driving to the Smoky Mountains without major planning. Also, I miss being close to the ocean. In Portugal, I lived 2 miles from the ocean. It takes at least 7-8 hours from Ky to the nearest beach (Gulf Shores, AL). 2- I want to be on the East Coast for the occasional, quick flight over to western europe. One thing I hate being in Kentucky is the wasted time in layovers and small flights trying to get to a big airport that has direct flights to Europe. My last trip, I woke up at 5AM to get the plane at 7AM for NYC-Kennedy. Then you have to wait up to 7 hours to get to the plane to Lisbon, if there are no delays! On the way back, I usually arrive at 12noon and my connecting flight to KY is not until 5 or 6PM. Too much wasted time, not to mention the extra expenses for the connecting flights. 3- I want a place close to a major city for diversity of cultural events. A major city that is still affordable. Boston is way too expensive. And NYC is NEVER an option! 4- I don't want a place that is too oppressively hot nor cold.

So my options are Western Mass., North Carolina, and Virginia. I decided that the sweet spot for me is the squarish-shape area from DC, west on I-66 to Front Royal(maybe as far as Winchester), south on I-81 to Staunton, east on I-64 through Charlottesville to Richmond, and north on I-95 to DC to close the square. This is a beautiful part of the country. When I drive to DC from KY, I like to stop in Staunton. That way I can enjoy the I-81 corridor in the morning light and be surrounded by mountains on both sides. And I also get to skip rush-hour traffic too. And I love all the historical stuff that VA has to offer. That is what I call a bonus!

I hope this wasn't too long winded.

Thanx "michgc" for the idea on Fairfax Lakes in Fairfax. I have not heard of that area before. Also for the suggestion on Gainesville and Bristow. Never heard of Bristow. I have read some people say some positive things about Gainesville, though. Will have to check it out. I have heard of the W&OD Trail but didn't know it was that long. That is a plus for Reston, and other places with easy access to the trail. When I lived in Knoxville, TN they had a great used bookstore named McKays! Could there be a franchise of used bookstores named McKays, or is this simply a coincidence? Hmmm...

Flamingo13: I looked up Lynchburg, and as soon as I found out that its the home of Jerry Falwell, it got "icks-nayed" quickly!!! Culpepper is inside that sweet-spot square that I mentioned so I'll keep it as an option.

LynchburgLover: Please don't take my dissing of Lynchburg personally. I simply like more diversity. I don't want a place that is too red nor too blue. I guess I am one of them "independents" that swings a little left, then a little right. Does that make me a moderate Republican, or a blue-dog Democrat??? But your suggestion of Bethesda intrigues me. All I've read about Maryland so far is that it is either way too expensive, too high-crime, or too much the "People's Republic of Maryland"! Thanks for the details on Bethesda. I'm visiting the DC area again sometime in the first quarter of 2011. I'll have to put Bethesda on my list of places to see. And also Fairfax City. I did not have it on my list.

Again, thanks everyone. I'm already getting what I came here for: new ideas that I may overlook.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
You will probably get better responses on the Northern Virginia forum.
Oops. Chalk it to a rookie mistake. I will post it in the Northern Virginia Thread also. On the other hand, I already have some new info from you guys on this new Thread, so it may not be a mistake after all.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Mr Blue 12, LOL, No offense taken about Lynchburg! Trust me, I've heard it all about Lynchburg and I'm quite realistic that it is not for everyone. That's why it never occurred to me to recommend it from your description.

You're right about Bethesda and Maryland -- they definitely lean left. And, it's too bad, Bethesda has so many other attributes.

Good luck with your search.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:58 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times
Mr Blue - I hear you about the Jerry Falwell thing, we took a long weekend there recently and didn't encounter anything of the kind (thank goodness, LOL) - but have to "feel folks out" you know? Different strokes for different folks, etc. (personally, we enjoyed our visit but wouldn't live there). We also did a visit to Culpepper so can't say how it would be living, but it was an enjoyable visit. Personally, for the most part, we like where we live (Alexandria City).

Good luck in your pursuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia