U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,506 times
Wink Where to move to in Southeast VA?

We are ready to make our final move and I get to decide where to! I have picked SE Va. I am 55 - my husband 58, we run an on-line business, but would also like to open a retail store where we move to, buying a property that is zoned commercial/residential would be ideal. Here is what we are looking for - 1 hr or less to the shore, a small house on approximately 5 acres. I have a horse and I would really like to finally have it on my own property. We would like to live in a racially diversified area, a reasonable distance to a hospital and an area that shows some signs of growth (although in this economy I realize that this may be almost impossible) We could spend up to $200,000. although I would prefer to spend less. We both plan on working for a long time. We currently live in the Syracuse NY area & have been for 30 yrs. We get an average of 150" of snow a year, our taxes are over $6,000 a yr on a $154,000 house and since we now work for ourselves - We want OUT. We have visited the Staunton area and although we thought the people were great and we loved the climate I don't believe the area is big enough for what we need. Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 07:50 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,872,314 times
Did you say $6,000 on a $154,000 home? In most parts of this state you will pay less than $2,000. Of course, this republican state of ours doesn't believe in taxes to fund basic state services such as transportation issues such as road construction either. With all of that snow in NY state I bet there are a lot of road issues.
I think being less than an hour from the shore might be a challenge. I was thinking the Hampton Roads area, around Suffolk. There are some rural areas still undeveloped there and the area is always growing for your business.
The eastern part of VA is quite urban as compared to the western side.
If you get north of Richmond toward DC the real estate sky rockets in price FYI.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,506 times
Wow - thanks for the quick reply. I thought living less than an hr from the shore might be a problem with trying to spend less than $200,000 but I realize that I may not be able to have it all. I've been googling the areas you suggested and between the two the Suffolk area seemed most promising - country but not totally isolated. NYS is very generous with their public assistance that is why our taxes are so high. The snow is not a problem in northern NY because they have special plows to remove it, unlike warmer climates where I hear they just attach a plow to a garbage truck. Thank God - because it is not unusual to get 48" of snow here at one time.

I don't know if this is allowed (I don't remember the fine print of the user agreement) but if anyone can or is allowed to suggest a realtor that may be willing to work with us in finding a place please let us know - we are motivated to move. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia