U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:00 PM

11 posts, read 14,986 times
Smile Charlottesville VA or Greenville SC - where to move?

Hello

My husband and I are looking to move to either Charlottesville VA (or surrounding area) OR Greenville, SC (or surrounding area).

Both are nice and have definite pluses but we are having difficulty deciding.

Some important things for us is:
Cost of living
Travel via airport
Culture, music, plays
Vineyards and orchards
Education (we are in our 50's and want to take some univ classes)
Beaches
Outdoor stuff (biking, kayaking, running, hiking)

ANY advice is greatly appreciated . We were from Illinois - too cold and the political scene and taxes are awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,688,479 times
Greenville is a popular destination. It has a very nice "people friendly" downtown area. It is very close to Asheville & the mountains, Charlotte & Atlanta. In my opinion, the best beach on the east coast is Myrtle Beach SC.
It IS the Bible Belt and it is Hot & Humid in the summer, taxes are low in SC and it is attracting many retirees. Its Big enough to have good shopping, services, cultural attractions but not too Big to have the urban woes seen in most larger cities.
Charlottesville has a nice downtown Mall with many shops, restaurants. It has
great access to the mountains, Blue Ridge Pkwy, ski resorts, vineyards, university, historical attractions and Wash DC(easy rail access and only 1.5 hours to Dulles airport). Va Beach is about 3+ hrs away, lots of traffic!
To me, it seems like a more "upscale" place and it has the reputation of an expensive destination.
In an odd twist living in Roanoke, I think Roanoke would be a better blend with Greenville & Charlottesville. C'ville is only 2 hrs away! Good luck on your search!

Old 01-03-2011, 04:44 PM

842 posts, read 916,955 times
Charlottesville also has dozens of vineyards in the area, as well as orchards. UVA helps bring quite a bit of culture for a town/city of this size. Cville also has a pretty good airport that can take you to Dulles for international flights or it has some direct flights of its own too. I think the Cville area would be perfect for you. The one downside is it's expensive for the size area it is. Politics here are very moderate too. The cities are liberal while the rurals are very conservative. Basically, the more populous the area, the more liberal, and as population thins it becomes more conservative. Nothing against Greenville, I've never been, it just seems like Charlottesville would suit you better. In either case, good luck!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 AM

643 posts, read 763,007 times
Greenville trumps Cville in just about every way. Greenville's airport is similar to that of Richmond; its metro area is similar as well (~ 1.2 million), but it still retains the small town feeling. The downtown area far eclipses Cville's as do the shopping opportunities and the outdoor activities. There are numerous educational opportunities in Greenville and the medical services would be on par with those of Cville. Greenville has become a city with an international flair; both BMW and Michelin have North American headquarters there.
One area Cville would be a bit better would be weather wise, with Greenville having a few more weeks of heat and humidity- that is about all. Charlottesville happens to be in a great location for wineries and breweries, and its proximity (1.5 hours) to DC lends to the cultural opportunities available.

Do some research- you get too many opinions from folks like ShadowBat (no offense) who haven't experienced both places. Most Virginians assume the Greenville is still the sleepy textile town of the '80s, or they don't even know it exists.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Greenville trumps Cville in just about every way. Greenville's airport is similar to that of Richmond; its metro area is similar as well (~ 1.2 million), but it still retains the small town feeling. The downtown area far eclipses Cville's as do the shopping opportunities and the outdoor activities. There are numerous educational opportunities in Greenville and the medical services would be on par with those of Cville. Greenville has become a city with an international flair; both BMW and Michelin have North American headquarters there.
One area Cville would be a bit better would be weather wise, with Greenville having a few more weeks of heat and humidity- that is about all. Charlottesville happens to be in a great location for wineries and breweries, and its proximity (1.5 hours) to DC lends to the cultural opportunities available.

Do some research- you get too many opinions from folks like ShadowBat (no offense) who haven't experienced both places. Most Virginians assume the Greenville is still the sleepy textile town of the '80s, or they don't even know it exists.
Even thogh I didn't spend any time in Greenville, I have driven through it several times. Meh. It's close to Charlotte, and Atlanta. I'm sure it's ok, but I haven't read or seen anything to make me want to explore it further. And driving through it, you would never believe it has a metro that large. But I Know it does. Charlottesville itself has an area of about 200,000 or over now, so while looking and feeling small, Cville offers some world class amenities(mainly because of UVA). Cville is also at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains, so there are also endless outdoor possibilities. But the OP should do their own research and decide what's best for them.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:34 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,353,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
Even thogh I didn't spend any time in Greenville, I have driven through it several times. Meh. It's close to Charlotte, and Atlanta. I'm sure it's ok, but I haven't read or seen anything to make me want to explore it further. And driving through it, you would never believe it has a metro that large. But I Know it does. Charlottesville itself has an area of about 200,000 or over now, so while looking and feeling small, Cville offers some world class amenities(mainly because of UVA). Cville is also at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains, so there are also endless outdoor possibilities. But the OP should do their own research and decide what's best for them.
Oh, you should stop and explore Greenville some time! The downtown has a tremendous vitality booming with shops, restaurants and street events. During the warmer months, they close Main Street for several blocks and have bands and things. Many, many of the restaurants have sidewalk cafes and everyone fills the place. There is a downtown Farmer's Market on Saturdays, etc. There are three downtown hotels (Hyatt, Marriott and the Westin Pointsett, an historic renovation) right on Main Street. It is walking distance to the Bi-Lo Center for bigger events (like the big-name country singers, the circus, Disney on Ice, etc)

The Reedy River flows right through the city and there are beautiful falls with several fabulous restaurants overlooking the falls. (Try High Cotton if you want fantastic food)

The streets are JAMMED with people but everyone is polite and friendly. It is truly wonderful.

Greenville is also near the mountains and several large lakes so there are plenty of outdoor activities nearby, too. Greenville is only about three hours from the Western North Carolina ski resorts near Blowing Rock and Boone. Furman University is also available just outside of town for cultural events and Clemsons not too far away. There is a minor league ballfield, the home of the Greenville Drive, right within walking distance of downtown.

Remember, too, it is the North American corporate headquarters of BMW and Michelin. Plenty of sophisticated people.

Unlike Charlottesville, it tends to have slightly older, young professionals and young families.

They have done a tremendous job revitalizing the downtown. It's a really fun town.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Oh, you should stop and explore Greenville some time! The downtown has a tremendous vitality booming with shops, restaurants and street events. During the warmer months, they close Main Street for several blocks and have bands and things. Many, many of the restaurants have sidewalk cafes and everyone fills the place. There is a downtown Farmer's Market on Saturdays, etc. There are three downtown hotels (Hyatt, Marriott and the Westin Pointsett, an historic renovation) right on Main Street. It is walking distance to the Bi-Lo Center for bigger events (like the big-name country singers, the circus, Disney on Ice, etc)

The Reedy River flows right through the city and there are beautiful falls with several fabulous restaurants overlooking the falls. (Try High Cotton if you want fantastic food)

The streets are JAMMED with people but everyone is polite and friendly. It is truly wonderful.

Greenville is also near the mountains and several large lakes so there are plenty of outdoor activities nearby, too. Greenville is only about three hours from the Western North Carolina ski resorts near Blowing Rock and Boone. Furman University is also available just outside of town for cultural events and Clemsons not too far away. There is a minor league ballfield, the home of the Greenville Drive, right within walking distance of downtown.

Remember, too, it is the North American corporate headquarters of BMW and Michelin. Plenty of sophisticated people.

Unlike Charlottesville, it tends to have slightly older, young professionals and young families.

They have done a tremendous job revitalizing the downtown. It's a really fun town.
If I ever make it back down there I'll have to check it out. I ventured over to the Greenville/Spartanburg forum and checked out some pics and I must say, it looks like a nice place.

However, BMW's north American HQ is in New Jersey, all that is there is a assembly plant. I'm sure there are sophisticated people there no doubt. They're everywhere! Just maybe not in the quantities that some might think. IDK.

With the exception of price, it sounds to me that Cville would be a perfect fit. A big city, smashed into a small town sums it up in beautiful surroundings. Both places will be a trek to the beach though. But ultimately, the op should thoroughly investigate both. The two places are only 5 hours or so apart, so they could possibly do a big trip and do both at once.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Ah, I thought BMW's corporate was in Greenville. I know it is a huge facility, multi-dimensional with lost of corporate type jobs. It had a HUGE impact on the revitalization of Greenville.

Spartanburg? Not much there except Denny's Restaurants corporate. Their downtown's not so great but they're working on it.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM

643 posts, read 763,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
A big city, smashed into a small town sums it up in beautiful surroundings.
Big city... quite a stretch. Cville is a mid-sized college town- like a miniature
Madison, WI. There is very little real industry in CVille which lends to the quaintness of the area. You should visit Greenville; it could be said that it is a small city smashed into a very large Metro area with all the amenities that come with a large metro. Also- the traffic around Greenville flows much better even with more people, because the government leaders have planned for growth and have developed their highway system accordingly. Cville is an awful place to try to get around.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Big city... quite a stretch. Cville is a mid-sized college town- like a miniature
Madison, WI. There is very little real industry in CVille which lends to the quaintness of the area. You should visit Greenville; it could be said that it is a small city smashed into a very large Metro area with all the amenities that come with a large metro. Also- the traffic around Greenville flows much better even with more people, because the government leaders have planned for growth and have developed their highway system accordingly. Cville is an awful place to try to get around.
Amen to that. I used to go to NoVa from Lynchburg monthly and there's no quick way to deal with Charlottesville, especially if there is an event at UVA. It once took over an hour to get from Barracks Road Shopping Center to the Forest Lakes area -- it was snowing and a Friday at 4:00 pm a week before Christmas! Absolute nightmare. I've also been caught several times when there were wrecks north of town on Route 29. Fortunately, I finally found the "shortcut" by going out by the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia