Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 PM

15 posts, read 29,025 times

Advertisements

Hi, We're moving to Lynchburg this year and want to rent before we buy. It's just my wife and I so schools don't matter but safety (both personal and property) does. For now all I can do is research online but if anyone can point out areas to avoid while looking for a place that'd be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Generally speaking, if you stay on the north and western sides of the city, you'll find better housing options. I'm a big fan of the Boonsboro/Peakland/Rivermont area -- there are some apartments right on Boonsboro Road near the Boonsboro Shopping Center and some around Randolph College on Rivermont Avenue. There will obviously be students in many of them but for it's first hundred or so years, "Randolph College" was "Randolph-Macon Women's College" so it's still about 90% women (so it's not a "rowdy" area.)

You'll also find housing in Lynchburg is very affordable and there are lovely neighborhoods in this area where you could rent a single family home. Once you visit the city, it will become apparent which areas you'll want to avoid.

After you visit and start to narrow your search, come back and people will give you more opinions.

Keep in mind Lynchburg is fairly small and traffic is not a huge problem but give a general idea of where you'll be working and a range of how much you can afford. Then people can give more concrete answers. Also, a general idea of your age to help "fit" a neighborhood.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 PM

15 posts, read 29,025 times
Thank you, this is just the information I needed! I'll spend a vacation later this year to explore and ask any needed follow up questions.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 AM

After your exploration, if you have more questions, you might get more responses if you post in the Roanoke forum rather than the general VA forum.

Best of luck!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,583 times
Default Apartment for a retired senior

I am also looking for an apartment for my retired Mother who wishes to reside in the Lynchburg area. Our family was originally from the area and all of us have left, but she would like to return at this time in her life. She is on a fixed income and alone, so I am concerned about the availability of affordable apartments for someone like her. Safety is also a concern.
We will be traveling to Lynchburg in mid-February to check out the apartment situation. Any suggestions as to where we should start looking would be greatly appreciated (I dont think the college area would be suitable for her). LynchburgLover-you seem to know a lot about the area, can you help? Thanks!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM

I think I'd suggest the same Peakland/Boonsboro area. As you know, Randolph College used to be a women's college. The area is very quiet because the student population is still predominately female. You're not far from shopping, churches and medical facilities etc. There's opportunities to see shows, art exhibits etc., at Randolph College I really have no clue about the cost of the apartments in the area, just that it's a safe, quiet area.

There's also some newer apartments over off of Route 501 near Graves Mill Road.

I'm not a realtor and really don't know much about apartments. You might want to check with John Stewart Walker, Company, or The Lynchburg Company. They're both big in the area and would be far more informed than I am or they could refer you to someone who specializes in rentals.

Best wishes.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,583 times
Thanks for the quick response. Ive been looking at the map to see the areas you are recommending and Rt 501 is familiar. I will contact the companies you have listed and now have a place to start my search. Your help has been greatly appreciated!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:34 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,740 times
How much does she plan to spend for rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: