Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 PM

8 posts, read 9,503 times

Advertisements

Sold my house of 23 years and now have until late march to move out. Buyer really made out as I am paying 6% of his closing cost (which was intended to be my safety cushion) so now once I pay off 1st & 2nd mortgage, last years property taxes, and all the other expenses I'm left with about 11K and no where to live. We have always loved the KG area and it is still a short commute to my wife's job in Waldorf, Md (I no longer have a job, hence the move). One problem is the online apt. searches are mostly fronts for adverts and offer nothing. Secondly, the apartments we have discovered all have at least one item that rules us out.

Our requirements:

Has to be $900/mo maximum. Monmouth Woods are really nice, but being white with no dependents......no space available for us.

Would PREFER 2 bedrooms. But if it came down to being homeless 1 bdrm would have to do.

Must accept small pets. We have two tiny, quiet house broken chihuahuas. They are the only ''children'' my wife has ever been able to give me, and I will die without them.

Would prefer the Dahlgren area, we also like Colonial Beach, bit of a haul for her, but still do-able if have to.

I guess I should add that she's 50, I'm 43, so we won't qualify for senior apts (which would have been ideal) Neither one of us has any family left, and I know none of our friends are in a position to help. Also, we are a quiet couple, no parties, no criminal records, we don't even drink. BUT money-wise I'm terrified no one will take a chance on us, as I am unemployed and even though my wife makes good per hour pay they have cut her hours drastically this past year. My only hope is maybe they will take a year's rent in cash in advance until we get back on our feet.

I hope someone has suggestions to help us through the most distressing time in my life. We are not looking for a palace, we're just afraid we're going to end up living in a cardboard box or homeless shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 AM

Judging from the (lack of) responses, I'm guessing there aren't any affordable apartments in the King George area?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:17 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,242 times
You might want to check with a realtor in the area and see if they or someone they know handles any rental properties. It's worth a shot anyway.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:31 AM

Thank you, VaNative, I know many agents aren't going to do any leg work without a commission, but all I need is a few addresses. I'll make some calls today. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Actually, a Real Estate agent will get a small commission if they rent something to you...so it can be worth the "leg work"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: