U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,453 times
Default Moving to southern Virginia

Hey all, hope everyone is doing well. Iím looking for information and or opinions on which town would be a better place to relocate to. I am looking at the south central part of Virginia. I will be retiring from a fire department up in Maine and intend to move to the area within the next year. I plan visiting southern Va. later in the spring for a couple of weeks (May) to look around some of the areas that are mentioned here. I spent four years in Norfolk, Va. while I was in the service and loved the weather and the both the states of Va. and NC but Norfolk was too crowded a place for me. I my take on a part time job, but that is not a major issue with me. Looking for a place with a low crime rate in a town that has some things to offer, such as restaurants, bike trails, fishing, and maybe some place for night time entertainment. I have been looking at the Altavista, and Lynchburg area on the internet and they both seem nice. Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Roger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:23 AM

2,282 posts, read 2,375,435 times
There are several threads on here debating the pros/cons of Lynchburg. You can use the "search" feature at the top. Lynchburg is a conservative, Christian community that is very quiet with a family orientation. It's definitely not the perfect place so it's best to read all the threads and come back to ask specific questions -- you may also want to post in the "Roanoke" specific thread rather than the Virginia general.

Lynchburg has plenty of restaurants, the basic mall, Walmart, etc. but it's "nightlife" is fairly small. It has a lot of the chain restaurants -- Olive Garden, Applebees etc. but there are also quite a few independents that are very good.

There is a very nice bike trail City of Lynchburg : Blackwater Creek Bikeway You're still an easy drive to Smith Mountain Lake for fishing, etc. and about an hour to Charlottesville for more options in shopping, entertainment. Roanoke is also a 40ish minute drive to the west.

Alta Vista is about 20-30ish minutes south on Route 29 from Lynchburg. It's a pretty small, rural town with minimal restaurant/entertainment things. You'd be driving into Lynchburg for most shopping, entertainment etc. It is, however, closer to SML and all recreational opportunities there (fishing, boating, golf etc.)

Best of luck.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 AM

842 posts, read 926,235 times
I was thinking Lynchburg as well would fit nicely for you. Roanoke 45 miles west might also be another good location for you too. The areas south of Lynchburg are not my favorite areas of VA, but for your needs Danville, Martinsville or South Boston are in that general central southern part of VA and might interest you. That is a somewhat severely depressed area, even before the recession happened. If you want the best of both worlds in regards to Lynchburg and Roanoke, look into Bedford. A very small town about 20? minutes from Lynchburg and Roanoke. But it has the basic needs such as Wal Mart etc.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 PM

165 posts, read 232,067 times
Click here

The Prizery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Bridge_Trail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Mountain_Lake

Last edited by slowlane2; 03-02-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,453 times
Default Thanks

[SIZE=3]Thanks for the information, I will use it to do some research before I head down that way in May to take a look around. I will continue to stop by the forum and see what people have to say about the area. Thanks again, and be well. [/SIZE]

Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM

943 posts, read 704,225 times
Wink A slice of Maine in downtown Roanoke

If you like VA.. the countryside, as well as city amenities then you would really
like a good midpoint town of Bedford with a small downtown feel, and countryside surrounding it which extends to either Roanoke or Lynchburg, and equidistant to Smith Mountain Lake (state park) as well.
Bedford has its own hospital, YMCA, antique malls, hip little shops in restored
factory building, wineries, very cool old school hardware store/feed & grain stores, along with your usual chain stores, lots of nice eating establishments, many amenities ---> visitbedford.com and put your toe in the water just out of the city limits (due west) for very low property taxes
People are VERY kind and hospitable.. nobody honks their horn, or rushes you along. Enjoy the life that has sped by in a place where the pace is just this side of heaven.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,221 times
does anyone know about big stone gap va?im planning on moving there with my 2 small children is that a good place to raise my kids?the place is dogwood terrace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia