U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 PM

35 posts, read 45,597 times

Advertisements

So once again another NY'er gunning for relocation south. It reminds me of the pasture always looks greener on the other side of the border. Well is it?
This past NY winter has done me in with snow, freezing fog, freezing rain and bitter prolonged cold and taking me 4 hrs to clear our farm's driveway. I have decided to look for information in various sources and find myself here waiting for advice that I am sure others have gotten and I have failed to read.
I am 54 yrs old, a semi retired physician who loves to breed , train and ride english style horses. I am looking to sell our 30 acre farm in NY , 12 stalls w a 12 foot center aisle in a 3 story barn which has heated tack and feed rooms with an attached 70x130 indoor and 110x 170 outdoor . I would like to relocate to another such farm in Va. However I don't want to pay high tax rates for living near metro areas and I have no children of elementary or high school age. (all will be in college by then)
I would like access to a small thriving town to get groceries(driving on good roads doesn't bother me) and have access to interstates so I can trailer the horses easily. I have heard there is difficulty in finding competant equine vets in certain areas and I would like some feedback regarding that issue. My time frame is 2 yrs and my wallet dictates that I stay under 750k. Am I dreaming about a relocation that doesn't warrant such a move or is there reality in a possible relocation with comparable stated amenities and if so please direct me to such counties in your beautiful state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 AM

171 posts, read 421,350 times
I think a happening little city for horse lovers would be Lexington, right off the highway, and that kind of mooney would buy a hell of a place. Plus Staunton and Charlottesville are right nearby and are great fun. Anywhere but up in the mountains it will be oppressively hot and humid in the summer!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 AM

893 posts, read 1,973,184 times
I too immediately thought of Lexington in Rockbridge county. Areas around Charlottesville and Albemarle county might work too. Goochland county in the Richmond area, and Faquier in NoVa are others I would investigate too.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 AM

496 posts, read 816,812 times
You will find better horse farm values from Lexington south. Lexington is right off I-81, has the VA Horse Center for major events, Washington and Lee U. (known for the Law School) and VMI. Equine vets are available in most areas of VA. In the Abingdon area we have an excellent equine vet with an advanced practice using remote imagery. VA Tech in Blacksburg has a vet college and equine hospital for every possible equine need. You will find that horse cultures are alive in VA. Real estate prices are low now and there are a lot of great horse farms for sale.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 AM

414 posts, read 743,831 times
Default horse farm areas

lexington city and nelson, amherst, south albemarle, madison, greene counties all would offer good value for what you are looking for. The equine vet issue is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. Best to check with like horsefolks in your target areas.
Warrenton and north is also nice but I think might be too expensive and comes with some of the issues that morthern virginiia has.
Further up i81 might be good but I have no detailed knowledge of these areas.
I live in Nelson county and love it. I have no horses but have friends that do and they seem happy.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 PM

8,583 posts, read 10,040,305 times
Another area to consider with a very strong horse presence is Hanover County outside of Richmond. Tax rates are $8.20 per 1k of assessed value. If looking on line search 23005, 23192. Other key words are Hanover, Ashland, Beaverdam, Montpeiler.

Good luck

Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM

1,792 posts, read 3,378,347 times
You can also add Fluvanna & Louisa County.

I suspect some of the more mountainous counties may be lacking equine vets.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 PM

4,092 posts, read 5,569,002 times
Don't forget Bedford County -- lots of land, convenient to Lynchburg, Roanoke.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 PM

3,430 posts, read 5,299,918 times
I can recommend Floyd Co. as a place to consider. It's south of Blacksburg, the location of the Vet School at Virginia Tech. Depending where in Floyd one starts from Roanoke is about an hour or a bit more from the west side of the county. From I-81 it's 22 miles to the center of the little town of Floyd, zipcode 24091 if you want to check real estate listings.

There is a vet practice in Riner (between Floyd and Christiansburg/Blacksburg) limited to farm animals and they have 4 DVM's on staff. There is also another vet who specialized in acupuncture and Chinese medicine for both horses and house pets and I have used her many times for my dogs and when I had foster horses.

I grew up on LI and attended college at Plattsburgh so can tell you that although we do get winter weather here it is no where near as harsh or long as what I recall from P-burgh.

I've been here five years and absolutely love it.

Best of luck in finding your dream location.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:54 AM

35 posts, read 45,597 times
Hi thanks for the updates, really appreciate it. We will be traveling to the south in the next 2 wks and plan on traveling in a triangular approach to see those areas and hope to be overwhelmed by hospitality of greener pastures. Thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or