Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,537,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post
I agree, you cannot beat these hills and some folks will never get that.
Too bad they keep trying eh? What with blowing them up and drilling holes into 'em. :I

That and New Jersey pretty much destroyed all of their Piedmont region with over-development (at least I think so).

Oh well. Regardless of the people, region or state they are in, the sheer beauty and immense history of these mountains is overwhelming to anybody susceptible. I may hold my home stomping grounds in high regard, but I love them all from north to south.

Which is why I travel them often, and get all joyful when I see them, and feel at home anywhere in them. When I go to Nashville I purposely go through Alabama just to see the Appalachians there, even if only briefly before the middle TN hills replace them (I know, I'm a dork).

Oh and, Virginia is southern! For all of you keeping track of the subject. XD

Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 AM

299 posts, read 641,555 times
Quote:
Too bad they keep trying eh? What with blowing them up and drilling holes into 'em. :I

It pisses me off every time I hear or read about how these corrupt and greedy energy and mining corporations are destroying not only the mountains and surrounding landscape, but to health of the surrounding communities.

My Home town succeeded in chasing off both Disney World and Walmart when they tried to open up business in our area. We were not about to allow these profit hungry savages to desecrate historic Civil War battlegrounds.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:44 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,296 times
Southern. I lived there for 5 years...there is no way you could ever confuse it otherwise.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Also we aren't Yankees. Yankees are New Englanders and urban northerners. I personally find Yankee insulting.
Many New York Yankees are actually from Latin America. A lot were Italian-American back in the day.

:-)

Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Many New York Yankees are actually from Latin America. A lot were Italian-American back in the day.

:-)
This be true!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Man View Post
It pisses me off every time I hear or read about how these corrupt and greedy energy and mining corporations are destroying not only the mountains and surrounding landscape, but to health of the surrounding communities.
I know exactly how you feel. Mountaintop removal is one of the absolute worst things they do!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:06 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
Anybody who thinks Maryland is a southern state has never paid much attention to the real south.

And how would you know I've never traveled through-out Maryland?

I've been to Annapolis, D.C. and even out in the Appalachian part.
By judging from BS that you post about Maryland not being Southern.......

Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post

Have to fully agree here - having been in this debate before.

As I see it:

- If Baltimore is "Southern", then so is Philadelphia

- If Appalachian Western Maryland is "Southern", then so is the Pittsburgh metro area and all of Western Pennsylvania

- If Eastern Maryland is "Southern", then so is Southern New Jersey
And if Maryland is not Southern by your anti-Maryland standards then Florida, Virginia, Atlanta, and Definitely Texas is not Southern either......

Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Virginia is clearly a Southern state. Compare from Maryland, Virginia has a much Southern feel to the state while Maryland heads in the opposite direction.

The only areas that feel Northern is the areas inside the Capital Beltway.
And another commentator that has not traveled through the state of Maryland.........

Old 04-14-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
lol, heck, if that were the case then south eastern Ohio, northern WV and southern tier NY would all be southern as well. XD
And since we are going to play the game of defiance and ignorance may as well include Western NC, Eastern Tennessee, Kentucky, and Northern Georgia as part of the Midwest/Mid-Atlantic Northeast........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia