Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 11:42 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Such as??????????
Such as, you doing you own research and finding out on your own instead of me hand-feeding everything to you, which you just spit up anyway and argue for the Mason Dixon line. Go and read all my prior posts in this thread on this subject to get a clue...its culture, overall demographics, politics, and linguistics, all of which tie it more to the mid-atlantic, are just the beginning of ways it isn't part of the south. Add on that Baltimore was booming prior to the effect of the rust belt, and experienced a heavy loss of industry and heavy manufacturing, causing its population to decline continuously over all or most of the remainder of the 20th century and possibly into the 21st century. No city in the south really experienced the economic devastation from the decline of manufacturing to the degree of Baltimore or remained in that state for so long.

Places like Nashville, Louisville, and Atlanta sprung up strong and are now the economic powerhouses that cities in the Midwest and Northeast like St. Louis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Philadelphia, and Baltimore once were. The only exception to the rule is Maryland's black population gain, much of which can be attributed to the presence of D.C. D.C. will never suffer any kind of rust belt effect because our nation won't allow it to as the capital.

Also, and this is from wikipedia, but nonetheless backed by solid evidence...tons of official federal agencies besides the U.S. Census Bureau classify Maryland and Delaware as either Mid-Atlantic or Northeast now...few, the census bureau being one of them classify it as southern. Here are five such agencies among many that do so...the FBI, Library of Congress, the EPA, the National Railroad Passenger Corporation, etc., regional colleges, etc.

And the Census Bureau's own statistics contradict its reasons for placing Maryland and Delaware in the south.

Last edited by stlouisan; 03-23-2012 at 12:17 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Oh my my my, where in the state of Maryland do they have Union Memorials??????
MMMC: Inventory of Monuments

Look and you'll see them. i've already counted a bunch and haven't even gotten down the whole list.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:26 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Virginia seems Southern to me. Except maybe NOVA. But if NOVA isn't Southern, than wouldn't that make every region of the South with a great number of non-Southern natives, not Southern?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
You just answered your own question.......

If you are serious about the above commentary then your judging Maryland based on DC and Baltimore which most of Maryland is not associated with...

Negative.......

Everyone knows that Richmond is a Southern City however there are some deep rooted Maryland hating characters that are bitter against the Civil War that they will forever deny Maryland being a Southern State no matter the Facts that are presented to prove that Maryland is a Southern State.......
You haven't presented any facts except a single line backed up by SOME federal agencies, which is disagreed on by many others.

You're the one in denial...I also found updated statistics claiming 115,000 soldiers enlisted in the Maryland cause for the Civil War...85,000 were for the Union, 30,000 Confederate. So an even bigger deficit. Not to mention, Maryland's governor was strongly pro-Union. And your association between Florida and Maryland just made even less sense to me...I am not basing Maryland's not being southern on only D.C. and Baltimore...Hagertown, Cumberland, and Annapolis are also the basis for my observations. OBviously you'll disagree as is your nature. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's your problem. If Maryland is southern, than Southern Pennsylvania should be the same, as Maryland vertically is well under 100 miles tall. But it's not.

As if this post, I am no longer providing you with any well researched facts and statistics, since you won't provide any of your own. I really hope you don't plan on being a politician because you'd make Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin look intelligent at this point.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Virginia seems Southern to me. Except maybe NOVA. But if NOVA isn't Southern, than wouldn't that make every region of the South with a great number of non-Southern natives, not Southern?
State lines don't mean anything where culture, demographics, etc. are concerned. NOVA is right on Pennsylvania's back door practically, and Pennsylvania does not show a whole lot of southern influence, and the BOS-WASH corridor also bleeds into it.

You could argue for South Florida being a questionable case, but the problem with South Florida is that you can't classify it as northeastern because of the climate it's in, and because it doesn't have the same culture...it's really not identifiable as anything except its own area in some ways. Geographically, there's no questioning Florida is southern. The transitional zones of this country are not very well mapped out, however...using american dialect maps, the transition zone lies between roughly U.S. Highways 50 and 60 all the way west Texas/eastern New Mexico.

Do with this information what you want...I'm tired of participating in this redundant debate.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
Quote:
Seriously???

Union Maryland Monuments at Antietam
Union Soldier Monument

Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
State lines don't mean anything where culture, demographics, etc. are concerned. NOVA is right on Pennsylvania's back door practically, and Pennsylvania does not show a whole lot of southern influence, and the BOS-WASH corridor also bleeds into it.

You could argue for South Florida being a questionable case, but the problem with South Florida is that you can't classify it as northeastern because of the climate it's in, and because it doesn't have the same culture...it's really not identifiable as anything except its own area in some ways. Geographically, there's no questioning Florida is southern. The transitional zones of this country are not very well mapped out, however...using american dialect maps, the transition zone lies between roughly U.S. Highways 50 and 60 all the way west Texas/eastern New Mexico.

Do with this information what you want...I'm tired of participating in this redundant debate.
SoFla's climate makes it more akin to the Caribbean. I've always argued that it's geographically closer to the Caribbean than it is to the GA.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:07 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Aaaaw. Diddums we just burst your safety bubble?

I am constantly surprised by how little you know of the very state you keep making such passionate claims for.

And don't bother asking people for information when you know that no matter how factual it is you will simply ignore it and make some nonsense up. You are very much a superfluous poster and I really wish, for your sake, that you'd stop being so ignorant.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 AM

12 posts, read 37,220 times
Virginia is in the South. Upper South to be exact.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 AM

31 posts, read 53,990 times
Quote:
FAIL!
NOT REALLY NOBODY in the real world, and I mean NOBODY considers Maryland to be southern. Or Delaware. Ever had a conversation with someone from the deep south about Maryland? Let me know how that goes Them low country folk in SC & GA will laugh in your face! Only people in New England that don't get out much seem to think Maryland is the south.. To people actually in the south...

Last edited by whoknew?; 03-23-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia