U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM

119 posts, read 200,224 times
Default Danville- Most Culturally Southern Town in Virginia?

Hey y'all!

I'm from Mississippi and me and my boyfriend are currently living in Hattiesburg. I was raised in the Mississippi Delta in Greenville, one of the most Deep Southern places in the country, and went to school at Ole Miss. Me and my boyfriend are your typical Southerners. We are Baptists, republicans, and love the outdoors! We are looking for a nice town in the South to start a family in. Lots of areas in the South are now not as culturally Southern because tons of yankees have moved to them (lots of the Carolinas, Atlanta area, and many other places). We want a town that still is Southern though.

I have a friend from Northern Virginia (which she said is basically the Northeast) and she knows someone from down in Danville. According to her, she says that Danville, and nearby Martinsville, is one of the most Southern places in Virginia. She has a thick accent (like me!) and is also a Baptist. I realize that Virginia is probably not nearly as Southern as Mississippi, but is Danville-Martinsville still pretty close? And where are the nice parts of town to live? Jobs are not an issue- I just wanna' hear what these towns are like.

So basically... I was wondering if there are some towns (preferably in Southern Virginia) that have not been yet invaded by Yankees?! I asked just about the same question in the South Carolina forum, as we are considering a few Southern states.

Thanks for y'alls help, Virginians
-Megan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 06:13 PM

2,032 posts, read 3,924,236 times
Hi Megan, some of the rural towns around Roanoke can be "southern", not like
Mississippi but "friendly" or hospitable to others(mostly other southerners).
Buchanan....25 miles north of Roanoke...Everyone fishes, hunts there, they all hate Roanoke.
New Castle...similar to Buchanan
Clifton Forge/Covington...ditto
Pearisburg.....The locals want to display the Ten Commandments in public schools despite the law. LOL.
Buena Vista...very friendly people, I have had strangers wave at me for no reason, at least I thought they were waving..Ha Ha.
Rocky Mount...Good 'ol Boys in pick up trucks mostly but beware Yankees Nearby at Smith Mountain Lake! They won't bother you since they are mostly retired.Ha Ha!!
Boones Mill....Have you heard of the Dunkard german baptist sect? They wear
long beards, wear black, etc...all around that area.
Also, BM is close to the famouse Moonshine area, still going strong today!
Danville/Martinsville were hit hard with jobs now in China so its struggling still. The people there are very friendly though and land is inexpensive.
I would strongly go back and recommend the Clifton Forge/Covington area.
It is north of Roanoke in Rockbridge County, friendly people with southern or
traditional ways you might identify with. Not much goes on there anyway so I guess they can do what they please!!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
...Good 'ol Boys in pick up trucks mostly but beware Yankees Nearby at Smith Mountain Lake! They won't bother you since they are mostly retired.Ha Ha!!...
Haha this made me laugh

Them darn yankees comin' down here to retire! I understand what you mean when you say that Virginia is not as Southern as Mississippi, I was in Fayetteville, WV, and the people there were very friendly and religious like the Deep South, but quite different.

But can anybody, maybe people from Danville-Martinsville, give me an idea of what it is like living down there... or yonder

Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM

215 posts, read 357,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
Hey y'all!

I'm from Mississippi and me and my boyfriend are currently living in Hattiesburg. I was raised in the Mississippi Delta in Greenville, one of the most Deep Southern places in the country, and went to school at Ole Miss. Me and my boyfriend are your typical Southerners. We are Baptists, republicans, and love the outdoors! We are looking for a nice town in the South to start a family in. Lots of areas in the South are now not as culturally Southern because tons of yankees have moved to them (lots of the Carolinas, Atlanta area, and many other places). We want a town that still is Southern though.

I have a friend from Northern Virginia (which she said is basically the Northeast) and she knows someone from down in Danville. According to her, she says that Danville, and nearby Martinsville, is one of the most Southern places in Virginia. She has a thick accent (like me!) and is also a Baptist. I realize that Virginia is probably not nearly as Southern as Mississippi, but is Danville-Martinsville still pretty close? And where are the nice parts of town to live? Jobs are not an issue- I just wanna' hear what these towns are like.

So basically... I was wondering if there are some towns (preferably in Southern Virginia) that have not been yet invaded by Yankees?! I asked just about the same question in the South Carolina forum, as we are considering a few Southern states.

Thanks for y'alls help, Virginians
-Megan
I agree pretty much with what Roanoker 4 has already mentioned as far as the roanoke region having many southerners. You might also want to check places outside of Lynchburg such as Amherst, and Appomatox to the list of most southern places as well as south boston va. Extreme southwestern Va has really thick accents for most people but the culture is more mountain/appalacian south like Kentucky, East Tennessee, southern West Virginia.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the replies! Anybody who lives in Danville-Martinsville though?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM

845 posts, read 1,001,832 times
I don't live in Danville, or Martinsville. Sorry. But I had a friend who did live outside of Danville and it was definitely different from where I live in central VA. Different as in being and looking way more southern.

Danville is the only town in VA with a Piggly Wiggly. If that's not a big ole southern stamp of approval, I don't know what is! But be sure you have a job before moving there, because that area was already economically depressed before the recession even showed signs of happening.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
I don't live in Danville, or Martinsville. Sorry. But I had a friend who did live outside of Danville and it was definitely different from where I live in central VA. Different as in being and looking way more southern.

Danville is the only town in VA with a Piggly Wiggly. If that's not a big ole southern stamp of approval, I don't know what is! But be sure you have a job before moving there, because that area was already economically depressed before the recession even showed signs of happening.
Haha a Piggly Wiggly!!! When you were in Danville, what was it like, if you spent some time there?

Somebody on this forum surely lives in Danville or has family there!!!!

Old 03-29-2011, 03:56 PM

247 posts, read 280,196 times
relocating to danville area

aspe4 - They responded to that persons post saying they lived in Danville...maybe give them a holler? :-D

Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkayx333 View Post
relocating to danville area

aspe4 - They responded to that persons post saying they lived in Danville...maybe give them a holler? :-D
How stupid of me, I should've looked up Danville on here... But THANK YOU!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 PM

775 posts, read 799,312 times
I currently live in Danville and I'm a Martinsville native. There aren't many transplants, or yankees as you call them, in Danville because there aren't many professional jobs that would attract those types of people. Danville's not a bad place to live. If you're single and looking, Martinsville and Danville are bad places to be. That won't be a problem for you since you're married. Danville's not a place I want to be long-term, however. It's about personal preference.

Negatives about Danville:
-There's no nightlife here. Roving bands of teenagers hang out at Walmart on Friday nights doing nothing but walking around.
-There's not a large young professional population here. When leaders from companies come, many choose not to relocate businesses here once they see the horrible conditions of some of the buildings in downtown.
-Cultural amenities are very lacking
-Shopping is very lacking
-Rental market is horrible. Because not many people want to move here, the residents aren't used to the idea of transients. A real estate agent here suggested to my wife that only poor people rent.
-People here stop at yield signs which causes traffic back-ups at on-ramps. It's not that big of a deal but it is annoying
-Danville has lost 20% of it's population since 1990 so it's not growing.

Positives:
-There is no traffic congestion so getting to destinations is predictable.
-Danville has some nice parks and walking trails. The city sponsors kayaking trips on the Dan River.
-There are a lot of chain restaurants here for a town Danville's size. An Olive Garden is opening next month.

I think Danville has a southern vibe to it even though Virginia is not in the Deep South. Of course, you'll have to come visit for yourself and decide. Things I find negative about here you may not care about.

Martinsville is a lot smaller than Danville so it has the same negatives I listed above but only magnified (except Martinsville doesn't have a run-down looking downtown). But if I was an outsider with no ties to either town I would rather live in Danville. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia