U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2006, 08:17 AM

183 posts, read 1,174,493 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info. on Front Royal. My friend's husband wants to move his family there because he his parents moved there a year ago. They have 2 small children who will be starting school soon. They live in the Orlando area and she feels that moving to Front Royal will be to isolating for them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 02:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,614,239 times
why dont you think that moving to front royal would be saving your children rather than isolating them?
i drove through front royal today and it is a great little town its the start of the blue ridge parkway. it has good medical service and doesnt have near the negative influences that orlando has....just think your child would stand a better chance of staying straight in front royal compared to orlando, im sure that front royal has drugs but not on the scale of orlando.
do yourself and family a favor go to front royal and enjoy the mountain air .

Old 08-27-2006, 02:52 PM

30 posts, read 142,462 times
Front Royal is nice because its still fairly rural and its still close to the DC and Baltimore area for the weekends. Nice weather and nice scenery, but I wouldn't dare try to commute from there into the suburbs for work, the traffic would drive you nuts and you wouldn't have time for anything else except work, sleep, and traffic jams.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the advice I will let my friend know.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:52 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,233,294 times
Warren County has the highest homeschool rate in the state. I can only speculate poor government schools as the reason. Front Royal is a national drug running hub, so close to I 66 and I 81. Choose wisely.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:34 PM

30 posts, read 142,462 times
Front Royal has big drug problems? I didn't think that happened out there.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:11 PM

779 posts, read 2,931,334 times
Hmm, I suppose compared to a place like Orlando, Front Royal would effectively be referred to as The Boonies! *however* there is much to be said about getting off the high road. For one, it's actually quite picturesque. Second, the people seem nice - at least the ones I've met.
And Yes, there is alot of home schooling out that way. Not sure why, but the trends are going up nationally as well...
Route 66 going towards DC is fast driving and is always congested from 4pm -7pm. One friend of ours drives 2 hours to DC from there and 2 hours back everyday.
So, quality of life is really what matters most to one person and to all persons in the family.

Personally, I've found all my cousins and family who lived waaaay too far out tend to do lots more drinking and sex than others out of pure boredom.

Boredom is the key word here.

And on a last note let me say: Families that play together stay together. Make sure your friend does alot of outside sports and camping trips to the Blue Ridge to keep the bond strong. Otherwise.....*shrug* Eagch.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 PM

Thanks for all the insight. I will pass it along.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:38 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,233,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf12283 View Post
Front Royal has big drug problems? I didn't think that happened out there.

I spent six months on a federal grand jury. You don't want to know what goes on in Front Royal. Gangbangers are coming, too. This is all in town, btw, out in the county is relatively docile. It's country livin by the river for the most part, but in town is uncool, imo.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:24 PM

291 posts, read 1,252,577 times
drugs are in every kind of neighborhood and community, you can't hide from it. But you can take steps to protect yourself and your family...I lived in many states in all kinds of housing, from middle class to upper class and its there, you just do not see it as well, its more hidden, but just as dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or