U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 02:49 PM

10 posts, read 56,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgebuilder500 View Post
I've been in the law enforcement field for a decade and have seen many odd laws, but this reckless driving law Virginia has is completely absurd and in my opinion, nothing short of a money maker. I'm 10000% for safe driving and will admit, I write my fair share of speeding tickets out; it's my job. I will also admit that I do so in fair fashion and give at least 18 mph over before I'll even think about stopping you. A few points and a 100+ dollars is more than a fair punishment.

In Virginia's case, the punishment simply doesn't fit the crime. I know of someone who was stopped at 13 mph over the speed limot on a major interstate highway in Virginia. She now faces Misdemeanor charges!?!?

The state is being flooded with revenue from this as well as defense attorneys, many of whom are defending out of state drivers that are desperate and will shell out hundreds of dollars for help.

Reckless driving must be reckless... It has to put other people at serious risk. On some of their major highways in Virginia, ten mph over constitutes reckless driving. Get real. This is a scam in my opinion and helps no one but the state and defense attorneys.

I agree! So they think that putting my son in jail for a year will help him, really? He was speeding! Yes it was wrong. I know that, he knows that! But come on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,959,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabellebronstein View Post
I agree! So they think that putting my son in jail for a year will help him, really? He was speeding! Yes it was wrong. I know that, he knows that! But come on!
A year? I know people who get 1/10 that time for DUI's

Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 20,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy0317 View Post
Dear friends,
I received a reckless driving summon two weeks back when I travling through VA, from NY to NC. I was pulled at I-85 (70 mph zone) in Mecklenburg county, just 90 miles away from my destination which is Raleigh, NC. I was wrote up as 84/70 mph and it is a reckless driving-speed.
A box is checked says that I can avoid going to the court and follow the instructions(pretrial waiver and prepayment instructins)
I called the district count number provided on the ticket and got the repayment amounnt is $181. The clerk says I can pay the amount before the court date without out showing up the court, which is a plea of quity. The court will forward the charge to my NY DMV. They are not sure what consequences I might get according to my NY DMV.
I have called couple VA lawyers. They are pretty confident about can defend my reckless driving to a regular speeding ticket and the charge is $200-$300 which does not include other fees,regular speeding penalty, court fee, cost for driving improvment course, etc.
1) What sever consequenses I might have if I just pay the $181 fine now?
I checked my NY DMV, they do not record out of state points. BTW, I have pretty clean record on NY license which I had for 2.5 years. I want to know how my insurance will be affected if my NY license does not have 'reckless driving ' record.

2) I definetely do not want 'criminal' or 'reckless driving' record. I am relocating to NC and will get a new NC license. I am thinking to pay the fine, $181, now and change my licence to NC when I still have clean record on my NY license. I want to know if this will work.

3) If I go to court myself, will I get the same result as if I hire a lawyer? To be honest, I don't think my case is that bad (Sorry for offeninding VA residents). If I have the document(clean driver record) lawyer asked and present myself in a polite way, can I have my 'reckless driving' removed?
My case is in Mecklenburg county, how is the judge and policy there?

Please help me with any information and any experience you have. Great thanks.
Hi Cinday, I hold NC lincense, and got a reckless driving ticket/summons @ Mecklenburg county, VA. Can you please suggest me if i need to go with the local attorney or just pay the fine? Can i also know the local attorney/ cost etc please?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,935 times
Ok here is my story. I am maryland resident got pulled over in va by dulles airport... Cop came out of nowhere.

Then another car pulled in from nissan maxima regular looking car the guy comes out and head to the officer.

Officer come back to me saying that that officer is off duty in his personal car saw me passing him by at 100mph at 495.

So we saying he clocked me in at 103 with lasor at dulles airport road.

So i was going 103 at 55 acording to him

need help guys..

What should i do and what im looking at with a layer or with out?
Will i keep my license somehow?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times
Sigh.........

Old 05-16-2013, 03:50 AM

6,553 posts, read 10,840,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukboy View Post
Ok here is my story. I am maryland resident got pulled over in va by dulles airport... Cop came out of nowhere.

Then another car pulled in from nissan maxima regular looking car the guy comes out and head to the officer.

Officer come back to me saying that that officer is off duty in his personal car saw me passing him by at 100mph at 495.

So we saying he clocked me in at 103 with lasor at dulles airport road.

So i was going 103 at 55 acording to him

need help guys..

What should i do and what im looking at with a layer or with out?
Will i keep my license somehow?
You don't deny that you were speeding (excessively) so going without a lawyer would be stupid. I'd bring my toothbrush if I were you.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:03 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times
Lol

Old 11-21-2013, 05:47 AM

5 posts, read 8,123 times
Woman killed after being dragged for three miles by truck. The man accused of driving the truck that killed Patel, 22 year-old Moses Acloque, has been arrested and charged with leaving the scene of a collision causing death,. Reported The American Bazaar.

Woman killed after being dragged for three miles by truck - The American Bazaar

Old 11-21-2013, 02:29 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,840,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepp89 View Post
Woman killed after being dragged for three miles by truck. The man accused of driving the truck that killed Patel, 22 year-old Moses Acloque, has been arrested and charged with leaving the scene of a collision causing death,. Reported The American Bazaar.

Woman killed after being dragged for three miles by truck - The American Bazaar
Not sure what this has to do with Virginia?

Old 12-29-2014, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 16,530 times
Default Charged with 125 mph in 55 mph

Dear brothers and sisters,

I was charged for reckless driving in Luray (Virginia) doing 125mph in a 55mph. Before you pass your nice judgements against me I should tell you that this is BS. It occurred to me that VA is not a biker friendly state; as a matter of fact they hate bikers! Well to tell the truth I was speeding way above 55mph, no argue about that, but the trooper saying I was doing 125mph is lying. Here is the whole story:

Me and my biker friend were heading from New York city to Smoky Mountains (tail of dragon) in Tennessee. The first stop was in Luray Virginia (God I hate that state now). To cut the long story short, Me and two of my friends went to get breakfast. I had a problem with my motorcycle charging system (the stator was malfunctioning) and therefore I got stock a couple of times. Therefore, I decided to go back to the motel, get my backpack, and leave VA for NY by myself.

Aside from the irresistible road with nice pavings and nobody on it, I had to go fast to keep the battery charged (I know this is just an excuse but I am just narrating what exactly happened). Right when I got to the motel a state trooper came from behind and I pulled over. After asking 100 questions and me answering them honestly, I was shocked to see myself in handcuffs.

After going through the internet and reading 100 threads and weblogs, I learned a great deal about this stupid reckless driving charge in VA. So, immediately, I hired a lawyer in VA thinking that he is a good one (the reviews were very good online and it was hard to find another lawyer there). He charged me $1500 to go to the court and do literally nothing so I was found guilty.

Before my trial, he requested a copy of the state trooper's dash cam video but they did not give it to him. In the trial, apparently the trooper showed a video, which is basically showing me flying for a second but there is no speedometer and no radar. He claims he did 130mph to keep up with me. Even if he did 130 mph, there is no way that he can keep up with me in about 20 secs (less than 2 miles) if I was really doing 125mph.

Now, they want me back to VA to send me to jail. Before you tell me I should take my toothbrush with me, is there anything I could do about this? Specifically, can I get the transcript of the conversations in court? How about the transcript of the conversations that happened in the jail while they were determining my bail (cash bond)? My lawyer is not reliable at all. I think he is ripping me off. Now he wants to charge me more $$$ to appeal the case and go to a higher court! I just don't know what to do.

P.S: I am on F-1 student visa here.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-31-2015 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: deleted lawyer's name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or