U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 01:39 AM

48 posts, read 105,845 times

Advertisements

Oil Drilling not the answer, says Moran - Washington DC Alexandria Nonpartisan | Examiner.com

GOP bills would open Virginia and other areas to offshore drilling - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/dp-nws-offshore-drilling-20110329,0,4302504.story - broken link)

U.S. bills would allow oil, gas drilling off Virginia (http://www.istockanalyst.com/business/news/5019758/u-s-bills-would-allow-oil-gas-drilling-off-virginia - broken link)

As you may or may not have heard the Feds will likely be softening restriction on off shore drilling. These are just three articles with some insight to what may or may not happen with the proposed bill. The justice department is also leading a team to investigate fraud and corruption within the oil industry. I'm personally for offshore drilling for two reason
1) GAS IS TOO EXPENSIVE, gas is continuing to increase. Increasing everything from food to travel MY PAY ALSO IS NOT INCREASING TO COMPENSATE THE INCREASE in price(THATS MORE PERSONAL THOUGH LOL)
2) Virginia is in dire need of INDUSTRY especially Hampton Roads.. Coal and Tobacco bad rep, the military is down sizing, East Coast ports are not thriving like the West( so much imported China goods), and tourism will never cut it we are not Florida.
While those are my personal reason I also feel like the United States as a whole need to invest in it future and decrease the demand for foreign oil by any means necessary. Clean energy is defiantly a must, but with no clear cut alternative to oil we have to work with what we have. I know the cons are infinite such as continuing to fuel the pockets of oil giants and the Gulf disaster, but a solution must soon be met for tension over oil is much too high. I would honestly love to see the oil and natural gas industry exploit Virginia's natural resources as long as the state benefits and of coarse with regrades to the safety of Virginia waterways and citizens. I think this is a fitting topic for EARTH DAY so whats your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:37 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,147,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_R View Post
Oil Drilling not the answer, says Moran - Washington DC Alexandria Nonpartisan | Examiner.com

GOP bills would open Virginia and other areas to offshore drilling - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/dp-nws-offshore-drilling-20110329,0,4302504.story - broken link)

U.S. bills would allow oil, gas drilling off Virginia (http://www.istockanalyst.com/business/news/5019758/u-s-bills-would-allow-oil-gas-drilling-off-virginia - broken link)

As you may or may not have heard the Feds will likely be softening restriction on off shore drilling. These are just three articles with some insight to what may or may not happen with the proposed bill. The justice department is also leading a team to investigate fraud and corruption within the oil industry. I'm personally for offshore drilling for two reason
1) GAS IS TOO EXPENSIVE, gas is continuing to increase. Increasing everything from food to travel MY PAY ALSO IS NOT INCREASING TO COMPENSATE THE INCREASE in price(THATS MORE PERSONAL THOUGH LOL)
2) Virginia is in dire need of INDUSTRY especially Hampton Roads.. Coal and Tobacco bad rep, the military is down sizing, East Coast ports are not thriving like the West( so much imported China goods), and tourism will never cut it we are not Florida.
While those are my personal reason I also feel like the United States as a whole need to invest in it future and decrease the demand for foreign oil by any means necessary. Clean energy is defiantly a must, but with no clear cut alternative to oil we have to work with what we have. I know the cons are infinite such as continuing to fuel the pockets of oil giants and the Gulf disaster, but a solution must soon be met for tension over oil is much too high. I would honestly love to see the oil and natural gas industry exploit Virginia's natural resources as long as the state benefits and of coarse with regrades to the safety of Virginia waterways and citizens. I think this is a fitting topic for EARTH DAY so whats your opinion?
Its thought provoking that you are from Virginia and I am assuming not tied to the oil industry.

assuming alot of people would be for off shore drilling in the usa but not in my neighborhood scenario.

Heard on the radio yesterday america has so much oil off shore and in anwar that it could be the worlds largest producer.

I dont have anything to back up what I heard but I found that pretty interesting. If we have that much oil then we need to drill someplace.

Our thirst for oil does not seem to be on the downward side and we will need to buy some time before any alternate fuel is developed etc.

all the pinheads are for the alternative fuels but what is ever done , its always just talk.

It just makes me wonder what the politicians are thinking when they say buy a car that is a hybrid when most if not all of us can barely afford a sack of groceries.! let alone a 35k car and we all are choking on the 5 a gallon gas scenario.
so in the meantime why not drill we just need to be very involved so an accident does not happen and if it does be damn prepared to stop the leaks-we dont need another disaster like last year

Old 04-25-2011, 04:52 PM

171 posts, read 416,182 times
The reason all us pinheads never get anywhere with alternative fuel is that the goberment is controled by the big oil companies and they don't stand to make any ching off of the sun or wind, but hey if we can save a few pennies in our own wallets, let's have a big spill off of the Virginia coast to go along with the gulf spill, I mean it sounds a lot easier than convincing middle america to vote in a third party that is not bought out by big buisness.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 AM

92 posts, read 154,083 times
Default Drill now

We need to drill, but with the stipulation that government take alternative fuel developement seriously. Gas prices are killing those of us that can barely pay the bills.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM

925 posts, read 2,132,205 times
While it has been nice to save our oil until the value is high and we really need it I think we are at that point. The idea that the animals in Alaska won't adapt to having people near their habitat is absurd. Once rare bald eagles have happily adapted to living in the city of Seattle perching on light and telephone poles to hunt and nesting near any water they can find.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:37 AM

94 posts, read 342,876 times
What's the point of drilling? Short term band-aid - and when the oil is gone off the coast of VA what now? That is the problem with people - they lack foresight - give me a short term fix because I didn't plan ahead and instead consumed a definite resource recklessly and without thought.

And do you really think gas will drop that much if we drill offshore? Gas is marginally cheaper in LA than here in VA and they drill offshore. It's just big business that will benefit.

And yes, I have a big truck that eats gas but I need it for my job and I am just going to have to suck it up. But I'll use my 15 year old honda when I'm not using my truck and get 40mpg, no 35K plug-in necessary.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 AM

925 posts, read 2,132,205 times
Oil prices are very sensitive to relatively small changes in supply/demand in that a 1% increase in oil supply would decrease oil prices by much more than 1%.

http://www.nber.org/feldstein/wsj07012008.html

Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 PM

5,183 posts, read 13,299,098 times
I say DRILL, and drill now! We should have been doing this YEARS ago! There's still no cost-effective alternative to gas and oil....it will come, but we need to be able to afford to live in the meantime.

If we're producing our own oil, we are not bound by OPEC's pricing....DRILL!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 PM

94 posts, read 342,876 times
And what's the point of drilling more oil if you don't have more refineries to process said oil? And who is to say that oil is meant to be made into gasoline? A lot of offshore drilling is more suitable for natural gas and we have plenty of that and it is already (relatively) cheap.

I could go on and on but it's simply a lazy short term band-aid to a longer, deeper problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia