Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:35 AM

23 posts, read 126,093 times

Advertisements

I few up in Virginia near Suffolk. Southern people used to, don't know now, think northerners don't have gracious manners and are money-minded and rude. That's the old timey view. But I have since lived in Boston, Miami, Pennsylvania and North Carolina. In Durham it was a rich community around Duke with plenty of northern students among other regions. Everyone was pretty nice. In Miami of course it's a mix, plenty of NYers down there. I just couldn't stand hearing coworkers speak in Spanish around me.

Now I'm happily settled in the Adirondacks of upstate New York. People here are cold and don't know what to do with a southern accent. However they are basically good people. Definitely not friendly like wonderful Tidewater that I few up in. I call them woodchucks up here.

People are unfriendly everywhere. I can't stand snobby southern women, there like dumb stumps of wood with a pretty dress on!.

I was born in Rutland Vermont but left at 3. Never got to know Vermonters!

NYC to me is the coolest place for people -- their street smarts, cordiality and humor.

But people are men everywhere. This I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 12:53 PM

13 posts, read 58,083 times
Default did not know

Need honest answer. I am from Washington State thnkng of relocating my family to NC or Virginia. We have 3 daughters 9, 12, and 14. We are tempted yes by cheaper cost of living but mostly want a better place to raise our family.
Very hard to find a good Church. Traditonal families are not valued here. It s a very lberal state and we desire to surround our famly with more traditional values.
That bieng said, are family is also open minded in that we may not agree wth your life style choices but It s not our place to judge you and we can be friends and love you and support you all the same.

From what am reading here it may be difficult to fit in if you are an outsider. Even more so if you are female? I know us women own the word catty for sure. I can manage but what about my grls. You lady's from the south be honest...are they going to have to hard of a time making friends coming in ths late in the game?

Old 09-28-2006, 01:53 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,564,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovy123 View Post
Need honest answer. I am from Washington State thnkng of relocating my family to NC or Virginia. We have 3 daughters 9, 12, and 14. We are tempted yes by cheaper cost of living but mostly want a better place to raise our family.
Very hard to find a good Church. Traditonal families are not valued here. It s a very lberal state and we desire to surround our famly with more traditional values.
That bieng said, are family is also open minded in that we may not agree wth your life style choices but It s not our place to judge you and we can be friends and love you and support you all the same.

From what am reading here it may be difficult to fit in if you are an outsider. Even more so if you are female? I know us women own the word catty for sure. I can manage but what about my grls. You lady's from the south be honest...are they going to have to hard of a time making friends coming in ths late in the game?
I would imagine it easier for the kids than you. Key point to remember is that old thang about "Doing unto others..." That carries a lot of horsepower, no matter where you are. I have relatives that live out toward, I think its called Selah, WA. They seem to be doing fine, and he's as rebel and redneck as I am. Good luck to you.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:57 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovy123 View Post

Groovy, please consider coming to NC! This is the Bible Belt, you will fit in!! In Charlotte we have more churches per square mile than almost anyplace else in the country But at the same time Charlotte has become a real "melting pot" of people from many different states and even other countries. This is a very friendly and welcoming city. Plan to come for a visit and see for yourself. If you tell me what kind of church specifically you are looking for I might be able to make a few recommendations of places you should visit while you are here

Old 09-28-2006, 03:52 PM

75 posts, read 269,361 times
hi there
I am from Florida and I look at it this way....
I treat others the way I would like....I always
say please and thank you and try to be nice,....
not all people are like that ....so you
just have to try it on one person at a time....

Old 01-31-2007, 10:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,787,444 times
Ok, Ive been reading this thread for awhile.

For once and for all

VIRGNIA IS NOT MID-ATLANTIC !

The Mid Alantic is NY, PA, NJ, and DE,

I dont care what those folks on the weather channel say. Its a Southeastern, more accruately South Atlantic state- along with The Carloinas, GA, and Fl.

Plus- Northern Virginia was once southern like the rest of Virginia, now it has people from all over.

It isnt quite 'yankee" like some people say, but its not truly southern. Its kind of no man's land as far as Im concerned. But if you look at northern virginia historically, it was always southern in character. Looked towards Richmond, not D.C. as its cultural reference point.

And as far as southern women not nice- it depends on the person.

I think you're more likely to find southerners accepting of outsiders than northerners.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 AM

41 posts, read 163,914 times
Hello everyone! I am a transplanted Long Islander (read NY) living in Chesapeake, VA for 10 yrs. Our daughter was 11 when we moved here.

She as teased unmercifully in school, the kids always wanted her to read out loud when certain words were in the passage (coffeee, talk, dog, ball, walk). The teachers always obliged. Fortunately my daughter has a great sense of humor. It did get old when they were still teasing her five years later.

I grew up and lived most of 40 yrs on LI. I don't get teased, verbally. When people ask where I am from, I answer Chesapeake, with a smile. If they truly wantt o know, they'll ask more and I answer, many don't.

I find that the premise of southern hospitality is a crock. They'll ask how you are, but don't care either. You can see it in body language. I am not categorixing all Virginians as this way, they aren't. My best friend here is a southern belle from Charleston, SC.

I find it very interesting that the friendliest people I have met and made friends with are from the northeast. People from here aren't unfriendly, but I feel a lot of them are phony.

Someone mentioned being asked what church they go to. To this day, 10 yrs later it is the way most VA born people will start a conversation, after hello how are you. You answer dictates the rest of the conversation, if there is any.

I loved the winters here and am staying. I totally agree with and live by treating others the way you want to be treated. Let's tolerate each other? I am, and always will be a yankee in certain eyes. I cant change my accent, nor do I want to. I'm me, a pretty friendly person, I like to make friends, based on the person, not where they are from.

I do not think the confederate flag should be flown, as I witness it. We are americans and have a flag. Let's keep flying it high, I am afraid that flag will soon be the flag of mexamerica.

Take care of each other...jackson browne lyric

Old 02-01-2007, 07:46 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,894,274 times
trust me, New Yorkers, Bostonians, Philadelphians are the rudest people in the US. That NY City being friendliest was comparing major cities around the world, not small southern cities verses norhtern cities.

people in NY and the Northeast will look you dead in the eye and step on your feet and not say excuse me--trust me, i am a southern black man living in Philadelphia Pa and has lived in New England and New York.

New Englanders outside of the big cities can be more pleasant, esp in Vermont and upstate new york, but dont for a second believe that people in the cities are friendly, they are scary.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:56 AM

41 posts, read 163,914 times
Reads like an extremely racist post. Are you saying that ALL, millions of people act that way? I think not. Just as most southerners aren't snobs. Some, from all over the world ARE just plain racist.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,018,009 times
We have traveled all over the U.S. - the rudest people, in my opinion, are people from New England....at least that is my experience. The rudest I have ever been treated was in Boston. We have traveled throughout the south and I find that, in general, southern women are very warm and friendly. Kentucky women, in particular, are incredibly nice. I find that dressing nicely, smiling, being friendly and complimentary goes a long, long way in being accepted no matter where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia