U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2011, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,090 times

Advertisements

I've read on a couple posts here that there is a possible growing gang problem in Staunton Va? My husband and I are considering on moving to Staunton, VA with our baby. We have fallen in love with the area, however, we want a safe place for our son to grow up. It was what drew us to the area in the first place, so to hear about gangs is a little scary...is this true or unfounded? I know NO place is perfect! We just don't want to move there and regret doing so if a problem is only getting worse and worse.

Also, what are the best neighborhoods to look at? ie safest, closest proximity to parks, historic neighborhoods, shops etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM

171 posts, read 309,394 times
We've visited Staunton three times now from New england, and are looking to relocate there, It's a nice sleepy little town, can't imagine there's any crime there, compared to the northeast. Seems like the last place in the country you'd have to worry about anything like that!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:00 PM

845 posts, read 1,057,962 times
There are some wannabe gang bangers in Staunton. But every town and city has them now. Thanks to the growing popularity of thug culture. The
"gang" problem in Staunton is mostly overblown by the local media who is dying for any kind of news, since the area as mentioned is generally sleepy. Most neighborhoods are ok. I lived north of Churchville Ave on the Springhill Rd corridor two blocks from Gypsy Hill Park and while over a 13 year span had some minor problems, it is a very nice neighborhood. If you use US RT 250 as a divider, most areas north of it except for maybe one or two apartment buildings, is very nice and quiet. But there are some spotty neighborhoods in what appear to be nice areas. If you see a house let me know and I'll fill you in on the area.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:53 AM

503 posts, read 388,124 times
Agreed that it's not anything to be worried about systemically. The crimes that have occurred related to the gangs have almost exclusively been what I call public service crimes, meaning that they basically are killing each other over drugs or trying to establish their thug cred.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 8,442 times
Staunton is extremely safe. I've lived here for three years and with one exception all of the violent crimes I've heard about have involved people who knew each other (domestic disputes, teenagers fighting, a couple of drunk people in bars). But it's very quiet and certainly overblown to call it organized "gang activity."

Another nice thing: due to the small size of the city and the emphasis on strong law enforcement, every single perpetrator of a violent crime since I've been in Staunton has been both 1) caught, usually the next day, and 2) sent to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia