U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: McDonnell for President?
Yes 6 42.86%
No 8 57.14%
Someone Else from VA 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:12 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,094,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Anecdotal evidence doesn't do a darn thing for me.
U.S. retail sales rise for 10th month in a row Economic Report - MarketWatch

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...619990742.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 PM

1,542 posts, read 4,001,860 times
President Obama is a good public speaker and that is about it.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
That's what a lot of people said about Reagan and he clobbered Mondale in '84. Think about Obama's two term predecessor, who wasn't really good at anything, including that. There really isnt anything Obama's done that would cause the electorate to fire him. He's too smart to make those kinds of mistakes. The Republicans in this election should focus on keeping the House in the next two elections and grooming a strong candidate for '16. However, unless he can successfully challenge Warner for a Senate seat, McDonnell will be out of the picture by then.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,583,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I'm not so sure about that either.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 PM

26 posts, read 49,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
We're still a long way from election day.
A team of Navy Seals got Bin Laden, after a team of intelligence agents tracked down leads to Bin Laden's whereabouts. Obama gets credit for giving the order.
The economy still sucks and the taxpayer is still bailing out Wall Street and Fannie Mae again (well, not yet, but just wait).
I don't see this president as you do. I see an empty suit in bed with business and just as bad, if not much worse than his predecessor.
While Obama has been disappointing on the domestic front, and really there's not much any president can do when the congress is so messed up, I think you're underestimating the risk and guts it took to send the SEALs there and not the tomahawks.

Not only because of the Iran/Carter comparison, but because W. refused to send them when they themselves asked to go (Bush said so today), and most importantly because of the information they recovered that will unwind Al Qaeda and the merchants of terror.

Obama's first term will go down in history in the same level as FDRs winning WWII and Kennedy's stopping the nukes from going into Cuba.

You bet he is untouchable.

Basically most reasonable GOPers know that their tea party candidates cannot win and that they have to move to the center to win the independents.

The only reason you see them running is to drive people to the polls for their down-ballot candidates.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:46 PM

269 posts, read 218,050 times
Um, no.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 PM

269 posts, read 218,050 times
Also, I agree about Obama. The chances of he losing his presidency are not high. Especially when you take into consideration there are essentially no active Republican candidates with a chance. Unless you think Romney does, which I don't and neither do most professionals in this arena, Republicans included.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,227,675 times
Quote:
Anecdotal evidence doesn't do a darn thing for me. And if you consider 250,000 jobs per month to be good news, then you should probably look up the rate of job growth it takes to not only (1) replace jobs lost and (2) keep up with the net entrants to the job market. It goes without saying, you want to acknowledge things are peachy and great for political reasons. The fact is, the economy is currently a disaster brought on by the shine and shimmer of a bull market caused by a weak dollar and quantitative easing.

The federal reserve has bought 70% of newly issued US treasuries: no one else wants our treasuries. Do you know what will happen when QE2 ends and the Federal Government tries to borrow? Yields will skyrocket, and there will be what is known as a credit crunch. If the federal reserve continues to purchase bonds to keep interest rates low, then we will have what is known as a real resource crunch. Either way, our current course is unsustainable, but only as long as it gets your guy elected right
What's the world coming too - agreeing with a Hokie fan (WVU grad here). Obama may not be "beatable" right this moment - but election day is 1.5 years away. Bin Laden will be long forgotten. What will NOT be forgotten is the state of the economy, the budget deficit. the housing market, energy dependence, etc. I have a really, REALLY uneasy feeling about the future.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:13 PM

8,803 posts, read 7,583,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101flyboy View Post
Also, I agree about Obama. The chances of he losing his presidency are not high. Especially when you take into consideration there are essentially no active Republican candidates with a chance. Unless you think Romney does, which I don't and neither do most professionals in this arena, Republicans included.
If Ron Paul gets through the primaries, Obama might as well concede defeat.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
If Ron Paul gets through the primaries, Obama might as well concede defeat.
Only if the electorate consists entirely of C-Span callers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or