Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: McDonnell for President?
Yes 6 42.86%
No 8 57.14%
Someone Else from VA 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times

Advertisements

What do you think?

GOVERNOR ROBERT McDONNELL OF VIRGINIA TRUMPS ALL OTHER GOP CANDIDATES | RUTHFULLY YOURS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Obama's pretty much unbeatable now so I doubt he'd waste his time. He'll leave it to the clowns from the other states to play Bob Dole.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Obama's pretty much unbeatable now so I doubt he'd waste his time. He'll leave it to the clowns from the other states to play Bob Dole.
Why is Obama unbeatable?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Why is Obama unbeatable?
You didn't hear? He got Bin Laden. Plus the economy's improving. Plus every Republican is now tarred with the "kill medicare to give tax cuts to billionaires" label. The party has lost all political sense. Why do you thnk you only see buffoons in the race at this point? McDonnell's not like those guys/gals.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM

We're still a long way from election day.
A team of Navy Seals got Bin Laden, after a team of intelligence agents tracked down leads to Bin Laden's whereabouts. Obama gets credit for giving the order.
The economy still sucks and the taxpayer is still bailing out Wall Street and Fannie Mae again (well, not yet, but just wait).
I don't see this president as you do. I see an empty suit in bed with business and just as bad, if not much worse than his predecessor.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
We're still a long way from election day.
A team of Navy Seals got Bin Laden, after a team of intelligence agents tracked down leads to Bin Laden's whereabouts. Obama gets credit for giving the order.
The economy still sucks and the taxpayer is still bailing out Wall Street and Fannie Mae again (well, not yet, but just wait).
I don't see this president as you do. I see an empty suit in bed with business and just as bad, if not much worse than his predecessor.
Maybe he's not the greatest president but most who do a reasonable job, which most would say he has, get re-elected (Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, Bush). The economy's not in a downward place in the cycle as it was under the first Bush. The only thing going against him right now with mainstream voters is high gas prices.

I think the Republican overreach since winning the House has really turned off a lot of suburban independents and done real damage to the party's chances of doing anything in 2012. Their holding the lifting of the debt ceiling hostage is not going to help either. This is definitely going to be a rebuilding year as it was in '96. Politically savvy folks like McDonnell understand this, which is why you saw only the aforementioned buffoons show up for the first debate and why the leading candidate right now is the totally unelectable Trump.

Virginia's chances of electing another of its own to the presidency evaporated in the Macaca moment.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:02 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
You didn't hear? He got Bin Laden. Plus the economy's improving. Plus every Republican is now tarred with the "kill medicare to give tax cuts to billionaires" label. The party has lost all political sense. Why do you thnk you only see buffoons in the race at this point? McDonnell's not like those guys/gals.
The economy is not improving.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 PM

796 posts, read 505,354 times
President Obama has increased his approval ratings but the economy isn't improving. A lot are still unemployed, gas prices are exorbitant, high taxes, Wall Street, etc. I don't think Governor Mcdonnell will run now but he may in the future. He ran a good campaign and even had some African Americans who primarily vote democrat vote republican in 2009...take it from me I know.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The economy is not improving.
Sure it is. We're now seeing stronger quarterly growth and more job creation than two or three years ago. I own a business that sells nationwide and we're selling a lot more at retail than when the President took office. Some just don't want to acknowledge it for political reasons.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:24 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Sure it is. We're now seeing stronger quarterly growth and more job creation than two or three years ago. I own a business that sells nationwide and we're selling a lot more at retail than when the President took office. Some just don't want to acknowledge it for political reasons.
Anecdotal evidence doesn't do a darn thing for me. And if you consider 250,000 jobs per month to be good news, then you should probably look up the rate of job growth it takes to not only (1) replace jobs lost and (2) keep up with the net entrants to the job market. It goes without saying, you want to acknowledge things are peachy and great for political reasons. The fact is, the economy is currently a disaster brought on by the shine and shimmer of a bull market caused by a weak dollar and quantitative easing.

The federal reserve has bought 70% of newly issued US treasuries: no one else wants our treasuries. Do you know what will happen when QE2 ends and the Federal Government tries to borrow? Yields will skyrocket, and there will be what is known as a credit crunch. If the federal reserve continues to purchase bonds to keep interest rates low, then we will have what is known as a real resource crunch. Either way, our current course is unsustainable, but only as long as it gets your guy elected right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia