U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,401 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My sweetheart and I currently live near Harrisonburg, VA. I am a valley native, he is from NY and we prefer more of a city-like scene. We are looking at purchasing a starter home as our little family is growing members quite quickly ..... I have a stable job in Luray, VA that I don't want to give up, however he is willing to job hunt where ever we do end up. We are blindly picking the Front Royal area because ALL I KNOW about F.R. is it's about the same drive-time to my job and it's closer to a "real" city (D.C.). I have a few concerns on if that area would fit MY family and I don't have anyone to ask and I'm scared to trust what a realtor would say just to make a sale.... HELP!!

1) What is the job market in that (immeadiate) area? Is it geared more toward people with degrees (he has a business degree) or just basic labor/high-school graduate types?
2) How would you rate the schools in that area? (we are expecting our first child together in the next few weeks and plan on having more children and possibly staying put for awhile.)
3) Would you say is the age-range of people who live there? We're in our mid-late 20's and have friends of all ages it seems, but would like to have the opportunity to meet friends in our age range. Where are the hangouts for date night or would we have to commute somewhere else for a random 'night on the town'?
4) Would our life-style be viewed as acceptable in this area? We are a bi-racial couple (obviously producing bi-racial children) and definately don't wan't to move to an area that could be un-welcoming to us simply because we aren't your picture of an 'average family'. (Let's be honest, places like this do infact still exist sadly!! AND I just want to safe-gaurd my family in advance as best I can and provide a happy, loving, and accepting home/hometown!)
5) Is there a community college near by? I haven't fininshed my degree but my job now will allow me to continue my education and with a growing family I'd like to be close to home!!
THANKS TO ANY WHO REPLY!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 PM
 
3,499 posts, read 4,954,121 times
Reputation: 3488
The closest community college I'm pretty sure, is "Lord Fairfax" nearby in Middletown, VA.

If you type "Front Royal" in the search box here, you will find many discussions about the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
 
6,561 posts, read 12,884,982 times
Reputation: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUswagg View Post
My sweetheart and I currently live near Harrisonburg, VA. I am a valley native, he is from NY and we prefer more of a city-like scene. We are looking at purchasing a starter home as our little family is growing members quite quickly ..... I have a stable job in Luray, VA that I don't want to give up, however he is willing to job hunt where ever we do end up. We are blindly picking the Front Royal area because ALL I KNOW about F.R. is it's about the same drive-time to my job and it's closer to a "real" city (D.C.). I have a few concerns on if that area would fit MY family and I don't have anyone to ask and I'm scared to trust what a realtor would say just to make a sale.... HELP!!
Good luck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUswagg
1) What is the job market in that (immeadiate) area? Is it geared more toward people with degrees (he has a business degree) or just basic labor/high-school graduate types?
To be honest? Probably more the latter.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUswagg
2) How would you rate the schools in that area? (we are expecting our first child together in the next few weeks and plan on having more children and possibly staying put for awhile.)
Quite honestly? They don't rate well, but a lot of education is what you make of it... I have a daughter going to an elementary school in Front Royal at the moment and she's doing great... But I'd give a lot of credit to my wife (and yeah, maybe a bit to myself) for supplementing her education at home. Your involvement is the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUswagg
3) Would you say is the age-range of people who live there? We're in our mid-late 20's and have friends of all ages it seems, but would like to have the opportunity to meet friends in our age range. Where are the hangouts for date night or would we have to commute somewhere else for a random 'night on the town'?
People like yourselves are there, but the average age is probably a little higher. Hopefully your husband has gotten used to the "Valley Culture" from your time in Harrisonburg.... Front Royal isn't that much different. Only smaller and much less to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUswagg
4) Would our life-style be viewed as acceptable in this area? We are a bi-racial couple (obviously producing bi-racial children) and definately don't wan't to move to an area that could be un-welcoming to us simply because we aren't your picture of an 'average family'. (Let's be honest, places like this do infact still exist sadly!! AND I just want to safe-gaurd my family in advance as best I can and provide a happy, loving, and accepting home/hometown!)
You will be fine on this front.... We live about 10 minutes north of Front Royal are friends with THREE mixed couples with children. Appears to be quite common around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUswagg
5) Is there a community college near by? I haven't fininshed my degree but my job now will allow me to continue my education and with a growing family I'd like to be close to home!!
THANKS TO ANY WHO REPLY!!!!
As mentioned. LFCC in Middletown is really close. This won't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top