Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,559 times

Advertisements

Good morning, I am a single mom with 2 children and thinking about relocating to virginia form georgia. i am originally from houston but i can not bear to go back to the heat. the company that i am presently working for has an office in richmond and i am trying to find out about richmond or the richmond area. can anyone give me some ideas and information on the area. i do not mind a commute of 30- 45 minutes, since my current commute is longer. good schools are also a high priority. thanks for any help you can offer. missyazz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 08:51 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyazz View Post
Good morning, I am a single mom with 2 children and thinking about relocating to virginia form georgia. i am originally from houston but i can not bear to go back to the heat. the company that i am presently working for has an office in richmond and i am trying to find out about richmond or the richmond area. can anyone give me some ideas and information on the area. i do not mind a commute of 30- 45 minutes, since my current commute is longer. good schools are also a high priority. thanks for any help you can offer. missyazz
As long as you aren't Cynthia McKinney, you'd be welcomed in Hanover County. Good schools, reasonable commute. AND, it's the longest county in the state, sort of wrapping around Henrico County and the city of Richmond.

Good luck.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 6,559 times
No, I am not Cynthia McKinney..lol. I am just trying to find a better and more diverse place to raise my children. Ideally the location will not be too far from a beach or mountains, with many cultural activities/opportunities for the kids.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,468 times
I do not think that the Personal property tax is excessive. Overall Virginia is a moderately taxed state. I have a new, $26,000 car and the tax was $800. The income taxes are 5.5% and there is no local income tax. All taxes cosidered it is lower than DC or Maryland. Everything is relative, so look at all angles.

Steve of Arlington

Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 AM

15 posts, read 74,638 times
If you can afford the car or boat I do not think the tax on it will hurt you none.

Virginia is as nice an area as any other and better than most. Like anyplace it has to fit your needs.

Charlie

Old 08-21-2007, 12:31 PM

59 posts, read 397,312 times
Hi!

You didn't say if you were retired or not and if you'd be commuting into DC, hence the hour and a half requirement.

If you are retiring to Virginia, Winchester or Leesburg are excellent choices. Leesburg has gotten very expensive in the last ten years as people have migrated away from the DC area due to rising real estate prices.

Winchester lately has been also experiencing some of that and prices here have also gone up a lot. However, there are still some nice houses here for a somewhat decent price.

Winchester is a University town and there are a lot more "cultural" things here than in Front Royal or towns further away from here. Winchester Medical Center here is excellent and was one of the top 100 hospitals in the country again last year.

I really couldn't ask for more being here and there is always DC if I want to do more.

Best of luck with your search!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM

33 posts, read 120,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamter View Post
Virginia is a personal property tax State which means there is a tax on things such as your car, boat and can be quite high depending on its value. This is in addition to the Motor Vehicle Registration. There is also a City Tax depending on what City (Newport News, Norfolk etc. ) in VA your vehicle(s) are registered in. This requires a window sticker displayed indicating where the vehicle originates from. These are annual taxes. This I found out after moving to Newport News in 2002 to be closer to my daughter who was in the Navy and stationed at Norfolk Naval. I left in 2004 because of this outrageous tax.
To up and leave a state over a vehicle tax seems a little drastic to me. Your current location is listed at NYC. I can't possibly believe that costof living, taxes, etc. are better there than Newport News.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,152 times
Default Try Front Royal

I love it out here. After living in Burke and the surrounding areas of Fairfax, I will NEVER move back to No Va. Everyone in Front Royal is nice, homes are priced great and traffic is not bad at all. I would recommend not living anywhere near 29 Gainesville area, that is a traffic nightmare!!! Takes forever and a day to get around there.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,554,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamter View Post
Virginia is a personal property tax State which means there is a tax on things such as your car, boat and can be quite high depending on its value. This is in addition to the Motor Vehicle Registration. There is also a City Tax depending on what City (Newport News, Norfolk etc. ) in VA your vehicle(s) are registered in. This requires a window sticker displayed indicating where the vehicle originates from. These are annual taxes. This I found out after moving to Newport News in 2002 to be closer to my daughter who was in the Navy and stationed at Norfolk Naval. I left in 2004 because of this outrageous tax.
Be advised that I just moved from VA to NC and NC also has car taxes, boat taxes, etc. I'm actually paying more down here in Car taxes then I did in VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia