Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2006, 06:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,435,573 times

Advertisements

Don't you guys think it is time to let the "Southernors are mean" thread go?

No one state of region has the market cornered on meanness or friendliness. There are mean people everywhere, just like there are nice people everywhere. Life really is what you make of it people - if someone has been mean to you, remember how awful that made you feel and vow to live your life making sure you don't make anyone else ever feel like that. Sometimes you just have to rise above this kind of stuff and keep on keeping on. To continue to talk on and on about how mean certain people have been to you takes up time you could be spending meeting new people who would never treat you that way. There are MANY wonderful, friendly people in the south, I am sorry for any of you that haven't yet found that to be true. Keep looking, we're all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 02:20 PM

24 posts, read 126,904 times
Default Southern Hospitality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't you guys think it is time to let the "Southernors are mean" thread go?

No one state of region has the market cornered on meanness or friendliness. There are mean people everywhere, just like there are nice people everywhere. Life really is what you make of it people - if someone has been mean to you, remember how awful that made you feel and vow to live your life making sure you don't make anyone else ever feel like that. Sometimes you just have to rise above this kind of stuff and keep on keeping on. To continue to talk on and on about how mean certain people have been to you takes up time you could be spending meeting new people who would never treat you that way. There are MANY wonderful, friendly people in the south, I am sorry for any of you that haven't yet found that to be true. Keep looking, we're all over the place.

It appears that the post "Southerners are mean" is intended to bring out the point that Southerners lack the so called "Southern Hospitality" to those from NYC or to Northerners. Yes there are mean people EVERYWHERE. But when I moved to the South I expected to be treated with friendliness and dignity. As I mentioned in previous posts I am kind and accepting of ALL people despite their backgrounds. Yet when some Southern White Women hear my "Brooklyn" accent they automatically assume that I am a rude New Yorker and they do not want to pursue a friendship with me. But when I visit NYC or NJ at least 95% of the people that I meet are friendly to me. When I ask for directions, some even will stop to write them down and go out of their way to be helpful. I hardly see this treatment here down South. I feel that the Southerners are not happy to have us Northerners living here in the South. Why?? And yes, I agree there are still many unbiased Southerners that are open to meeting all types of people and I am glad that they gave me the chance to be friends with them. Why can't we ALL be loving and accepting of one another. We are all equal in God's eyes.

NYCGIRL

Old 09-02-2006, 06:31 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,562,772 times
The Southerners are mean thread was exactly as lmarcos1 says. In that particular case, this Southerner was apparently mean. But I didn't even reach deep into my bag of insults for that particular person. That said, I answered the pathetic individual precisely the way he/she wanted, up until I was tipped off that the little troll had been bouncing around the forum starting little fires here and there.
Yes, I have a great love of the South, the way it was prior to the hostile takeover of 1865, but I also realize that it's over and done with. The country as a whole has strayed so far away from what the founding fathers intended that Thomas Jefferson wouldn't recognize the place.
Personally, I really don't care where someone is from, as long as they are American, and don't try to turn their new location into a carbon copy of the place they left. I saw it happen in Frederick county. Folks from Pennsylvania and NOVA moved out to the country, and turned it into Fairfax West.
Without a doubt, the most hateful and rude people I have met are from Pennsylvania or Taxachusetts. New Yorkers I can handle for the most part. There's a ton of people from here in Virginia that I can't stand, for reasons well explained by Georgia. So I think its more of a personality deal than anything. Most people are in fear of what they don't understand, and Southerners are no exception. I catch hell at times from "Puritans of the Confederacy" because my wife is African. She's as Confederate as I am, but I'm still guilty of integration to some of the Scots-Irish Purists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia