Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times

Advertisements

The Triangle in NC gives you more options without having to move if you are unhappy or do not get accepted at your first choice. There is Duke, UNC and NC State in Raleigh, all great schools, and all within about 20 min. or so of each other. Weather is noticeably warmer and better in winter in the triangle versus Charlottesville. From a purely scenic perspective, I would give the nod to Charlottesville, at the foot of the Blue Ridge, but the Triangle isn't bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:33 AM

7 posts, read 12,733 times
Thanks for this information!!! Really great stuff

And when you talk about NOVA....is it a community college or? I've looked online and it could either be that you're talking about a community college or university.

Last edited by cindydawn; 07-07-2011 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 11:52 AM

23 posts, read 69,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindydawn View Post
Thanks for this information!!! Really great stuff

And when you talk about NOVA....is it a community college or? I've looked online and it could either be that you're talking about a community college or university.
NOVA usually just means Northern Virginia, but there's also a NOVA community college.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:37 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coubr View Post
NOVA usually just means Northern Virginia, but there's also a NOVA community college.
Aka NVCC or Northern Virginia Community College

Another thing to consider is where you may want to end up after college. Virginia has a much stronger economy right now (particularly the Northern part) than NC and will into the foreseeable future. Sorry to say, but NC's best days are probably behind it. You may find the social network you establish at a Virginia university more valuable going forward.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 12,733 times
Quote:
Virginia has a much stronger economy right now
I never even thought about the economy in this equation. This is why I love all your input, people view things from a different perspective. Great stuff.

Quote:
You may find the social network you establish at a Virginia university more valuable going forward.
Very good point, thank you!!! I believe the friendships you make at college could be lifelong and extremely valuable.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
cindydawn, understand the schools you've picked are some of the hardest schools in the United States to get into.

Even if you graduate from a community college that is reciprocal, you are going to have to have straight A grades and a pretty impressive group of extra curricular activities.

My good friend's daughter is currently in the UNC system in Wilmington and cannot get transferred to UNC Chapel Hill with excellent grades.

With Duke and William & Mary being private, prestigious schools, they are even harder to get into.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
With Duke and William & Mary being private, prestigious schools.
William & Mary is a state school, like the University of Virginia and JMU.

UVA finishes much higher than UNC on most university rankings, normally up there with UC Berkeley and the Univesity of Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia