U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 AM

21,254 posts, read 21,760,201 times

Advertisements

Are you sure that they aren't grimacing? Sometimes a grimace looks like a smile at a certain angle. Tight shoes will often cause this, were you near the base shoe store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 AM

23,562 posts, read 33,282,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milky_way View Post
Why do people on military bases smile so much ?

I'm in Tidewater Area of Virginia and been to several military bases here b/c my brother is here in the Air Force. He works in and out of like 3 different bases Usually when he works I hang there by myself in public areas.. Everywhere I go people smile at me and I am not sure why. Young and old and male and female it doesnt matter. I dont feel comfortable with this because I am unsure how to react to these strangers. Also, other than my brother I dont have any personal connection to the military, but I'm not sure they even know what my connection is and besides they let just about any one come through here. So I was just wondering if this is some social code or something. but when I asked him about he was like "really" ? and said no-one smiles at HIM. I'm a female 22 years old...but as I said everyone smiles not just guys, but I dont know if they do at men or just women. So I am just wondering, usually I look away kind of embarrassed. Unless I am actively having a conversation with someone for an extended time period then I will usually smile if its going well, but not really random strangers in passing.
PS : in the past 3 days two seperate men ( both older and not even attractive to me ) have *demanded* of me that I smile at them. I just gave them a blank stare not knowing where they got off doing that ??? Even my own male family members dont do this, if they want me to see me happy and stuff they will tell me a joke or something . I thought that was very rude of them... But again, if/ once I get to know someone I do smile away
I'm a native of the Tidewater area and also a child of veterans and the smiling thing is that Hampton Roads is a laid-back, down to earth, and friendly place and the military helps to contribute to that so in that enviroment smiling happens a lot.

If you don't want people smiling at you take a 3 hour drive up to Alexandria and Arlington VA which has the Pentagon. Trust me, I GUARANTEE nobody will smile at you (as a former six year resident of that area) and if you smile at them people will give a look of wanting to whoop your .

Quote:
If you don't like eye contact and smiles, don't move further south! There's always threads on the Southern boards about this "problem". I've never understood why people are offended by friendly gestures. Oh, well. . . have a nice day!
I find that people from the Northeast (especially DC and the MD surburbs) have the most smile phobia in the country. They try to move South and I can understand why they would be frightened by smilies.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 AM

467 posts, read 1,333,476 times
You could try smiling more. It might make you a happier person.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:33 PM

6 posts, read 7,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
You could try smiling more. It might make you a happier person.
I'm sorry this is one of the more idiotic responses. I never said I wasn t happy ! Do you also walk down the street grinning like a mental retard ALL the time, or just when you catch someone's eye ? cuz these people are smiling only upon EYE contact, they arent walking down the street cheeseing . now my question is : what is it about the sight of a random stranger that makes them smile ? THAT is my question...

PS : Just because someone isnt smilling doesnt mean they arent content and satisfied and just bc someone IS smiling they could be hiding a lot of pain underneath

Its not for a total stranger to place expectations on my facial expression. Smiling when you are having a shared experience or enjoying a connection with someone is normal. Smiling at someone you dont know from a hole in the wall is NOT

PPS : If Casey Anthony came here, would you smile at HER

Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 520,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milky_way View Post
I'm sorry this is one of the more idiotic responses. I never said I wasn t happy ! Do you also walk down the street grinning like a mental retard ALL the time, or just when you catch someone's eye ? cuz these people are smiling only upon EYE contact, they arent walking down the street cheeseing . now my question is : what is it about the sight of a random stranger that makes them smile ? THAT is my question...

PS : Just because someone isnt smilling doesnt mean they arent content and satisfied and just bc someone IS smiling they could be hiding a lot of pain underneath

Its not for a total stranger to place expectations on my facial expression. Smiling when you are having a shared experience or enjoying a connection with someone is normal. Smiling at someone you dont know from a hole in the wall is NOT

PPS : If Casey Anthony came here, would you smile at HER
Perhaps the poster you made this comment towards thought you were unhappy because you wrote this in your original statement... "if they want me to see me happy and stuff they will tell me a joke or something".

Old 08-14-2011, 09:09 AM

31 posts, read 69,006 times
Not sure the specialty of the base in question but having spent several years on Ft. Bragg, a primarily Infantry base, which has like a 50 to 1 ratio of men to women then yes they are probably just really happy to see a female and smiling is a fairly harmless way of basically hitting on you. These soldiers work around only men (no females in the infantry) for weeks and even months at a time. Seeing a pretty face or even an ugly one depending on the level of isolation from females will compel one to smile at it, its human nature especially amongst young males with a very high testosterone level (as is expected of soldiers) deprived of female contact. That you arent being blatantly hit on or even harassed physically is a testament to modern attitudes having changed for the better. Just ask any woman who ever visited a base prior to the 90s. To be honest they are probably terribly nervous and want to talk to you similar to a highschool kid wanting to ask out the homecoming queen but just smiling in the hope that you will smile back. In fact many probably are right out of highschool. Alot of people thank soldiers for their service and sacrifice I think the least you could do is smile at one. If you are really put off by being smiled at by men who are most likely severly deprived of female contact I would suggest steering clear of any military bases particularly infantry bases. Not that it is right to sexually harass women (although I dont consider smiling to be harassment at all) but it is human nature and its going to happen. If someone looks directly at me, male or female, I usually smile and nod. Its a southern thing. The polite thing to do to acknowledge someones presence rather than the yuppie method of pretending they dont see you. But given that you are female and this is a military base I think its a no-brainer.. They like what they see. And I don't think you can blame them for that.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM

Dear Sir ( I assume your a Sir ? ) If youd read my original post clearly instead of scanning it you'd see that I get smiled at equally by females, who are obviously NOT military as per their physical appearance. It really doesnt matter; you are making more of an issue of it. PS Ive no trouble thanking a service member for his / her service but why does it have to be in a flirtatious form like a "come-on" . And when did a simple nod of the head go out of style ? Smiling takes the interaction to a higher level ;one to which I may not be prepared to rise. Thanks for your response and YOUR service but I think you have it all wrong....

Old 08-15-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Are you sure that they aren't grimacing? Sometimes a grimace looks like a smile at a certain angle. Tight shoes will often cause this, were you near the base shoe store?
ROFLMAO, I guess I ASKED for that one Thanks 4 making me smile, Ghengis ( Khan ? )

Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM

[quote=skyshark75;20449919]Not sure the specialty of the base in question but having spent several years on Ft. Bragg, a primarily Infantry base, which has like a 50 to 1 ratio of men to women then yes they are probably just really happy to see a female and smiling is a fairly harmless way of basically hitting on you. These soldiers work around only men (no females in the infantry) for weeks and even months at a time. Seeing a pretty face or even an ugly one depending on the level of isolation from females will compel one to smile at it, its human nature especially amongst young males with a very high testosterone level (as is expected of soldiers) deprived of female contact. That you arent being blatantly hit on or even harassed physically is a testament to modern attitudes having changed for the better. Just ask any woman who ever visited a base prior to the 90s. To be honest they are probably terribly nervous and want to talk to you similar to a highschool kid wanting to ask out the homecoming queen but just smiling in the hope that you will smile back.
************************************************** ************************************************** **********************

MY RESPONSE TO THIS If the interaction goes no further then thats very silly to smile for no reason. You smile if you genuinely like the person, not b/c you want to get attention

Old 08-15-2011, 05:37 PM

10,371 posts, read 14,216,741 times
It's something in the water down south that makes people smile, really.

city-data.com/north-carolina fake-superficial-ppl
"b/c everyone ; from young kids to cops on the beat will smile and greet you. BEWARE : IT MEANS NOTHING".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia