U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,505 times

Advertisements

We have four young children and are researching several different areas for possible relocation to in Virginia. I have recently went on the VA sex offender registry and was caught off guard with the excessive amount of sex offenders in each area we were considering. We currently live in NC about 25 miles away from Charlotte and I have compared our sex offender registry to VA and there is a huge difference no matter what areas we compared to.

Realistically I know there will always be sex offenders around and it is all about supervising your children but why does Virginia seem to be more saturated? I find this quite concerning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 PM

14,131 posts, read 28,386,160 times
It probably has more to do with how one state classifies someone as a sex offender. A lot of these sex offenders listed on there are young people guilty of having a dalliance with someone else who was slightly under age. Many if not most are not anyone the parent of young children would need to be concerned about. A sex offender does not always equate to a child molester. On the website there should be details on the crimes they were convicted of.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:45 PM

Thank you for replying!

I understand how that could be possible but it is hard to accept that after seeing all their creepy mugshots and having the majority of them being labeled as violent. This is not something to take lightly. Most states do not include level one offenders on the registry, is VA reporting differently?

It is also puzzling how all these offenders are all clustered together in so many different areas I have looked up, as one big commune. Usually when you view a sex offender registry the offenders are usually more spread out. Here, not only am I seeing some scattered about, but then a bunch saturated in cluster.

I definitely would like as many people as possible to educate me about any concerns I should or should not have. TIA

Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 AM

16,087 posts, read 38,336,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It probably has more to do with how one state classifies someone as a sex offender. A lot of these sex offenders listed on there are young people guilty of having a dalliance with someone else who was slightly under age.
That's my take on them.

Usually some 18-year-old guy who is still dating his High School girlfriend (they use to be 15 & 17)...but suddenly 16 & 18...and she's jailbat. That scenario is very common throughout small towns and small high schools, where your dating pool is smaller than cities.

I think each state is different with their laws...but most states are like what is described above, which makes it look like you got crazy child molestors all over the place.

If there are excessive amounts more than what seems possible, it's probably because of the way the state defines a 'sex offender'.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:58 AM

14,131 posts, read 28,386,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Butterflies View Post
It is also puzzling how all these offenders are all clustered together in so many different areas I have looked up, as one big commune. Usually when you view a sex offender registry the offenders are usually more spread out. Here, not only am I seeing some scattered about, but then a bunch saturated in cluster.
You sure that doesn't reflect clusters of the population in general? I'll bet you're probably seeing these higher densities in places like the Northern VA suburbs, Richmond, and Norfolk/VA Beach right?

You know most molesters of small children are family members, not strangers. I wouldn't really worry about this in making decisions on where you're going to live. I live in an area of VA with lots of people (and I'm sure lots on that registry) and never hear of these issues amongst my neighbors or my kids' friends. It would probably be more rational for you to worry about things like natural disasters or traffic as your kids are more much more likely to be harmed by a tornado, lightning, or a car accident.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 AM

1,806 posts, read 3,595,586 times
I suspect that in Virginia, the population is more willing to report these crimes and the various persons serving as a Commonwealth Attorney are more willing to prosecute these crimes.

Somehow, I do not believe that Virginia has more violent sex offenders as the rest of the population in other states. Maybe Virginia is better at identifying and prosecuting such folks.

When I have been on the registry for my area, I do not see young folks who have had a sexual relationship with an underage person. I see many creepy looking photos of middle-age and elderly men.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM

After I had scanned the areas I was interested in, I decided to check several different cities/towns throughout Virginia and was amazed. The areas I was originally started looking in were Loudon County, and then went further east towards Winchester, then further South towards Roanoke, the Roanoke Valley area, Shenandoah Valley area, Smith Mountain Lake region....etc....I was all over the place and could not find one area much better than the rest.

And yes, it is mainly older creepy men categorized as violent, not young male first time sex offenders. One of the reasons I find it concerning is the smaller population that VA has. That is a huge percentage of violent sex offenders for such a small population. Please correct me if I am wrong for thinking this.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:00 PM

882 posts, read 1,836,042 times
Maybe we are better at catching them!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 AM

The sex offender registries came about through the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA) which is part of the Adam Walsh Act that passed in 2006. I am posting a link to an article on the website National Conference of State Legislatures. I suspect that the difference in N.C. & Va. is tied into each state's compliance (or lack thereof) with this federal law.

Sex Offender Law: Down to the Wire

Old 08-04-2011, 06:02 AM

I have not found anything stating that Virginia is in compliance with SORNA, but N.C. is not. This is a blog link, but it references N.C. bills. N.C. is NOT in compliance. This appears to be a reputable blog associated with UNC.

The SORNA-Compliance Dog That Didn’t Bark « North Carolina Criminal Law

I suspect this is the real difference in the numbers & perception. Virginia likely has tougher reporting laws. I bet N.C. has just as many sex offenders, but in N.C., a citizen cannot find out who they are and where they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia