U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 AM

1,699 posts, read 3,551,751 times

Advertisements

I will be in the Richmond area for a few days in Sept. and i would like to have a beach day at some point during the trip. What is the best beach within a 1.5 hour drive from Richmond. Maybe someone can describe the differences between Bay beaches and ocean beaches. Are the waves the main difference? I want to go to a clean, low key beach. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 05:36 AM

956 posts, read 1,297,528 times
I can't speak about the bay beaches in the Richmond area but I believe there are few options open to the public. Most are private land.

Wave action is largely dependent on the weather - local for bay beaches. Ocean beach waves can be rough due to storms miles out to sea even if the local weather is fair and calm. One of the biggest differences in bay and ocean beaches in this area is the presence of sea nettles - i.e. stinging jellyfish. They tend to arrive earlier and in greater numbers at the bay beaches. If you are not acquainted with them, trust me when I say "You don't want to be!"

http://chesapeakebay.noaa.gov/forecasting-sea-nettles

Given your stated preferences, Sandbridge Beach (south of Virginia Beach) is your best bet, however, it will take you somewhat over two hours to get there, if you leave early enough to avoid major traffic delays.

There are several historic threads on your topic so I suggest searching through them for additional information. http://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-area/1290146-needing-day-trip-beach-advice-richmond.html

Old 08-06-2011, 02:38 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,551,751 times
Thank you ersatz. I have been stung by a jelly and would not want to experience that again! Sounds like a real ocean beach is my best option.

Drive time would not be significantly longer from Richmond to Sandbridge vs. one of the beaches farther north, correct? I'll be doing my beach day on a Monday in Sept, so hopefully traffic and crowds will be less of a concern.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM

956 posts, read 1,297,528 times
Which beaches further north?

There's bay swimming at Sandy Point but I don't recommend it. It's located at the foot of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and is full of sea nettles. Closest northern ocean beach would be Assateague, which would be around a four hour drive.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:46 PM

83 posts, read 253,527 times
The closest beach to Richmond (that I know of), a Bay beach ia in Hampton, Buckroe Beach.. Otherwise drive across the I-64 bridge-tunnel to Willoughby's Spit (yes, that's it's name, just a little spit of land) and Ocean View.. nice Bay beaches (no waves) There is a public parking lot at the first exit past the bridge-tunnel.. at Bayview & 13th View St.. 2 block walk to beach..

On edit.. looks like there is on street parking on 13 View St right at the beach..

enjoy

Last edited by Beach-rat; 08-07-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,347,698 times
Va. Beach is the closest REAL ocean beach...The Chesapeake Bay is a tad closer.....The Bay has virtually no undertow and small waves. The Atlantic Ocean can have a great deal of undertow and larger waves. However, the ocean has the lovely boardwalk area, restaurants, shops, etc.....the Bay will not have those amenities.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 AM

144 posts, read 377,557 times
Virginia Beach all the way!!! I first went in Aug 2009 on a Girls' Bday trip. I brought boogie boards back for my sons to use at Point Lookout's beach in Maryland. I quickly learned that the Potomac does not make waves like the Atlantic and so we've been trekking to VB since 2010. Now, I live 2hrs away and I can head out on Saturday at noon, lose energy to the beach/boardwalk/strip and driving, return by midnight and not feel any more worn out than if I'd stayed home.

As for jellyfish I think the more populated beaches have nets in the water placed/required by the city/state to keep the jellyfish from crossing into the swimming area. I also think when the water is cooler they don't come close to the shore. Feel free to correct me, anyone. The little ones might get through but I haven't witnessed any incidents at VB Oceanfront. I have seen humongous jellies at private beaches where there are no nets. I would NEVER want to meet those things in the water.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 AM

3,500 posts, read 4,955,295 times
The town of Colonial Beach, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is a long public beach on the Potomac River, with numerous older motels.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:32 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,348,353 times
Yorktown Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia