Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:07 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,447 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are headed to Virginia in September for vacation. We'll initially be spending four days in Arlington and doing the DC monuments and museums. Then we'll rent a car and start our road trip.

The first day with the rental car will be a Tuesday. We've initially planned to head south to Richmond, with stops at Mt. Vernon and King's Dominion amusement park. The wife is crazy about roller coasters! We plan to have dinner with a friend from Petersburg that I last saw in 1977 while in the military. Counting on him to know a good place for dinner in Richmond. This may be too busy an itinerary for one day, but if time allows I'd love to see the Museum of the Confederacy in downtown Richmond.

Next day we plan to head southeast and stop for a few hours at Williamsburg. Then on to Norfolk/Virginia Beach area. Will probably spend the night there. Looking for recommendations for motels. Would be nice to be on or near the beach, since this will likely be our only night at the ocean.

Thursday, (day three w/car) we'll head across the bay and up the peninsula. Looking for ideas for the best local food. I'm thinking crab cakes must be in order. We also want to cross the border into Delaware, since we're Californians and the opportunity to add Delaware to the state list may never present itself again. May proceed over to Annapolis, or even Baltimore for the night.

Friday will be a leisurely day wandering back toward DC & Reagan Airport where we'll depart on Saturday just after noon.

Now, a little about us. We're mid 50's rural Northern Californians, and pretty active-kayaking, golf, hiking, etc. I was in Northern VA (Ft. Belvoir) in the mid 70's for 6 months, so I've seen many of the sites. Wife hasn't been to DC though. Most of our time in DC will be dedicated to museums and monuments. The amusement park will probably be a brief but welcome break from the museum/monument motif. Now, I'm kind of a history buff-particularly the civil war era. Wife doesn't share that affection, but is interested in seeing colonial era Williamsburg. She's also quite interested in seeing Chesapeake Bay, and tasting it's seafood.

Anyway, looking for local advice; i.e. attractions, eats, motels, etc. for this trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 AM

179 posts, read 486,365 times
If you're into history ... especially military and/or Civil War ... you might think about heading to Lexington, VA ... to see Virginia Military Institute. Amazing campus. Amazing history. It permeates the air there. Stonewall Jackson was a teacher there prior to his leaving for the Civil War. Cadets parade on the weekend. It's a bit out of the way from Richmond, but a beautiful city and worth the drive.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:38 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Wow! That's a packed itinerary! I doubt you'll have enough time to do Mt. Vernon, Kings Dom and Richmond in one day. We have major traffic problems, you know. Plan at least three hours just for Mt. Vernon. The line is slow and there's a lot to see.

I'd skip Kings Dominion and go to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg instead. Much cleaner and safer. Our family had a problem at Kings Dominion with gangs of teens. Spend the day at Historic Williamsburg and then the amusement park after the price drops for the evening. August can get brutally hot/humid and it's a lot cooler in the evening. The restaurants in the Williamsburg Historic area are fun and there are also hotels of every price associated with the Williamsburg Foundation (for a real splurge, but kind of expensive, try the Williamsburg Inn -- it's lovely and I think still five stars.)

Can't help you with the Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Eastern Shore or Delaware/NJ -- only been to those a couple times, long ago. There's not much in southern Delaware except flat, flat, flat land with lots of corn, soybean etc., and, of course, the ocean beaches.

However, if you change plans and find you're headed back up the western shore of Virginia, go to the Northern Neck (the land area between the Rappahannock and Potomac Rivers), there is a wonderful resort called The Tides Inn. It is in Irvington. Again, a bit expensive but gorgeous views, right on the Rappahannock River. Fabulous service, decor and outstanding restaurants. I think it's four stars.

You're really planning on covering a lot of miles in a very short time. Virginia's a lot bigger than you think.

But hope you have a wonderful and safe trip!

Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
I think getting out of DC and driving down to Mt Vernon-Kings Dominion
Richmond for dinner sounds like too much with all of the traffic/congestion in
that area. It is horrendous!
If you are into history spend more time in Richmond, rather than Va Beach. The state capitol has been restored and the statue of Washington is worth a visit.
My pick for a hotel is the Sheraton-Va Beach, it is centrally located and you can walk to many attractions, restaurants.
Driving up the eastern shore into Baltimore is nice and you will see the impressive Chesapeake Bay Bridge! I would wait and try crabcakes at the inner harbor in Baltimore near Camden Yards Baseball park, also great Italian food!
My pick is Rusty Scupper restaurant on the inner harbor for authentic Maryland crab cakes and a beautiful view fo the inner harbor.
Oh well, I think I would take that trip again myself!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfLover2 View Post
If you're into history ... especially military and/or Civil War ... you might think about heading to Lexington, VA ... to see Virginia Military Institute. Amazing campus. Amazing history. It permeates the air there. Stonewall Jackson was a teacher there prior to his leaving for the Civil War. Cadets parade on the weekend. It's a bit out of the way from Richmond, but a beautiful city and worth the drive.
I am definitely into history, and military history in particular! Lexington sounds right up my alley. Personally, I'd love to tour VA just to see the civil war sites.

I did have the opportunity in 1976 to tour the Manassas battlefield and since then (we) have visited some other civil war sites including Vicksburg and Ft. Sumter. But I have to be careful not to overwhelm the Mrs. with civil war sites/museums. It is of course, her vacation too. So, I'll forego some of my "wish list" to keep her happy, well; make that "happier".

Thanks for the info though!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Wow! That's a packed itinerary! I doubt you'll have enough time to do Mt. Vernon, Kings Dom and Richmond in one day. We have major traffic problems, you know. Plan at least three hours just for Mt. Vernon. The line is slow and there's a lot to see.

I'd skip Kings Dominion and go to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg instead. Much cleaner and safer. Our family had a problem at Kings Dominion with gangs of teens. Spend the day at Historic Williamsburg and then the amusement park after the price drops for the evening. August can get brutally hot/humid and it's a lot cooler in the evening. The restaurants in the Williamsburg Historic area are fun and there are also hotels of every price associated with the Williamsburg Foundation (for a real splurge, but kind of expensive, try the Williamsburg Inn -- it's lovely and I think still five stars.)

Can't help you with the Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Eastern Shore or Delaware/NJ -- only been to those a couple times, long ago. There's not much in southern Delaware except flat, flat, flat land with lots of corn, soybean etc., and, of course, the ocean beaches.

However, if you change plans and find you're headed back up the western shore of Virginia, go to the Northern Neck (the land area between the Rappahannock and Potomac Rivers), there is a wonderful resort called The Tides Inn. It is in Irvington. Again, a bit expensive but gorgeous views, right on the Rappahannock River. Fabulous service, decor and outstanding restaurants. I think it's four stars.

You're really planning on covering a lot of miles in a very short time. Virginia's a lot bigger than you think.

But hope you have a wonderful and safe trip!
Great info and just what I was looking for! Thank you.

Eliminating King's Dominion in favor of Busch Gardens sounds like a great idea. It'll shorten our itinerary on Tuesday and put us in a safer environment.

We'll actually be doing the tour in late September. Perhaps the weather will be better then? The Tides Inn sounds terrific. I'm really wondering if we'll be in need of some relaxation after 3 solid days touring DC. That could be an option.

Thanks again-I appreciate the info!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I think getting out of DC and driving down to Mt Vernon-Kings Dominion
Richmond for dinner sounds like too much with all of the traffic/congestion in
that area. It is horrendous!
If you are into history spend more time in Richmond, rather than Va Beach. The state capitol has been restored and the statue of Washington is worth a visit.
My pick for a hotel is the Sheraton-Va Beach, it is centrally located and you can walk to many attractions, restaurants.
Driving up the eastern shore into Baltimore is nice and you will see the impressive Chesapeake Bay Bridge! I would wait and try crabcakes at the inner harbor in Baltimore near Camden Yards Baseball park, also great Italian food!
My pick is Rusty Scupper restaurant on the inner harbor for authentic Maryland crab cakes and a beautiful view fo the inner harbor.
Oh well, I think I would take that trip again myself!
I beginning to see a pattern here. My prelim. "Tuesday" plan is too "busy". Maybe we'll forego King's Dominion on Tuesday in favor of Busch Gardens the following afternoon.

I do want to see Richmond. Like I said I'm meeting a old friend for dinner there. But also, I do want to see the Museum of the Condeferacy. State capitol sounds intriguing.

I'll see if we can make Baltimore and the Rusty Scupper!

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:40 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I do want to see Richmond. Like I said I'm meeting a old friend for dinner there.
DC Museums etc --> Richmond --> Charlottesville (Jefferson/Monticello)

Just past Charlottesville pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Poke around some.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 PM

503 posts, read 807,231 times
Annapolis = United States Naval Academy.

Also more outstanding restaurants there than you can shake a stick at.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 AM

94 posts, read 388,926 times
If your wife is truly crazy about roller coasters skipping Kings Dominion for Busch Gardens would be the worst mistake of your trip!

NO wooden coasters at all at BG, KD has so many more options for rides and coasters...plus the water park is included with admission. And lines - since KD has so many more rides there are coasters with hardly any wait (if at all), especially midweek. BG lines are horrible.

Not to say BG is not a good park - it is, I am from VA Beach and its our "local" park but I will drive the additional time to go to KD. Ambiance is definitely better at BG, but if I want to see trees and gardens I will to go one of our many wonderful state parks instead.

There is not a "gang" issue at Kings Dominion. I don't know why people speak lies. There was an issue many years ago with a shooting (I think early 2000) but since then metal detectors have been installed for safety. I have never had a problem and never felt unsafe.

With that said, it you are really trying to sneak in Mt Vernon, Richmond, and KD in the same day - well, that is a lot to do so BG in the interest of time could be better.

Cape Charles on the eastern shore is also a cool little town to stop get some food we enjoy kelly's gingernut pub.

Have fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia