U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 PM

646 posts, read 780,756 times

Advertisements

Hello:

What fun things are there for a father and his sixteen-year-old daughter to do in Assateague/Chincoteague? We like to take walks and look at nature. By take walks, I mean walk nature trails--we really haven't done any formal hiking. I also wouldn't mind swimming, though I won't get in the water if I can't verify that it is clean.

I am inquiring about this area for two reasons. First, I read that it has some pretty pristine areas. Second, I might end up in Rehoboth Beach and assumed that the drive over wouldn't be too cumbersome.

If we went, it would probably be for a day.

Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 AM

I read that the mosquitos are pretty bad so I question whether summer is the best time to go.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,640,844 times
^^YES we have camped there and definately bring the DEET!
We had to run to walmart to buy yard guard for the campsite. The mozzies are really bad after a rain in the morning and in the evening.

The beaches are BEAUTIFUL and pristine big wide beaches...and yes the water is fine to swim in. The wild ponies are very fun to watch.
They will come right into your campsite when cooking! They will end up down at the shore at sunset to get away from the mozzies and it's really neat to see them in the ocean.
However, there really isn't anything to do on Assateague besides beach activites, camping and kayaking etc...It's a national Park
Assateague Island National Seashore Visitor Services

Ocean city MD is very close and we always took the kids over to the boardwalk at night and that was fun.

Rehoboth beach is very nice, but quite the opposite of Assateague/Chinoteague. It's a town and has shopping and resturants and hotels etc... However make sure to have reservations in advance, it get really booked on the weekends. $$$
I have a 16 year old daughter and i know she would definately prefer Ocean city or Rehoboth to Assateague! (she liked camping when she was small...but not too much now!)

Old 08-13-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
^^YES we have camped there and definately bring the DEET!
We had to run to walmart to buy yard guard for the campsite. The mozzies are really bad after a rain in the morning and in the evening.

The beaches are BEAUTIFUL and pristine big wide beaches...and yes the water is fine to swim in. The wild ponies are very fun to watch.
They will come right into your campsite when cooking! They will end up down at the shore at sunset to get away from the mozzies and it's really neat to see them in the ocean.
However, there really isn't anything to do on Assateague besides beach activites, camping and kayaking etc...It's a national Park
Assateague Island National Seashore Visitor Services

Ocean city MD is very close and we always took the kids over to the boardwalk at night and that was fun.

Rehoboth beach is very nice, but quite the opposite of Assateague/Chinoteague. It's a town and has shopping and resturants and hotels etc... However make sure to have reservations in advance, it get really booked on the weekends. $$$
I have a 16 year old daughter and i know she would definately prefer Ocean city or Rehoboth to Assateague! (she liked camping when she was small...but not too much now!)
This is helpful. We are going to wait until it cools off before we explore that island. She is a mosquito magnet.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:40 AM

738 posts, read 3,560,545 times
We've been at Chincoteague this whole weekend, and the mosquitos haven't been bad at all. Spent 12+ hours outside yesterday, and didn't get a single bite.

We've been in the town the whole time though, so I can't speak for the park/beach.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 PM

738 posts, read 3,560,545 times
Alright, today we went to the park, and the beach. The beach was really nice, but a little crowded. (No mosquitoes)

On the walking/biking trails though... TONS of mosquitoes. The OFF spray worked really well, but we only sprayed exposed skin, so they would land on our shirts and shorts, and try to bite us through our clothing. I think maybe if you sprayed from head to toe and rode a bike down the trail you might be alright, but for walking, it was really bad. We turned back after about 10 minutes.

So, it looks like the town and beach are fine, but the walking trails in the park are really bad for mosquitoes.

Go to the downtown though, it's really nice, and it looks like 80% of people just by-pass the town and go straight to the touristy areas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia