Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:59 PM

61 posts, read 93,817 times

Advertisements

I'll still steer people clear of Roanoke. If they haven't made a decision yet. I've recommended options to several people who have already decided to move there.

I was just simply stating that I didn't overreact, and I thought Williamsburg did overreact.

Reading it again, maybe my response sounded attacking (although I don't feel it was) because we specifically drove 30 minutes from one part of town right next to the interstate to the opposite corner to see the 'new grove' area she was talking so wonderfully about and how it had changed so much. Talking about Grove as she was simply a lie- you couldn't even call it 'spin'. I didn't want kcrossly to the get the wrong idea like I did. I took an extra hour out of my weekend after a very hard work week go over there and just felt lied to.

I hope in my criticisms of Roanoke I at least told the truth about what I didn't like and what I did. While I'm very glad to be here in Williamsburg, I still want their housing prices.

I'm sorry that Williamsburg had to accuse me of caring too much about appearances, being without peace, and trying to live an illusion. Clearly, she doesn't know who I am. She doesn't know our cars aren't the newest or nicest or what religion or God we believe in and I feel it was bush-league to insult us that way and to just lie about that area. She can talk all about how she likes it, which is fine. But please don't lie.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:32 AM

291 posts, read 1,357,583 times
I am not lying...for the facts remain.

New housing, not section 8, is going up and almost complete.
New construction is also going up as well.
Most of the area is treeded...yes there are trailor parks, but most are not visible from the street.
My home value doubled in only six years, so if its sooo bad, then why did that happen?
Another new business is moving in, Volvo Rents.
There are unslightly areas, but as I had keep saying to you, they are EVERYWHERE in town, not just this side of town, maybe you need to look in your own backyard and stop scapegoating ours.
I had read many of your threads..sorry if the shoes fits.
Thousands of people drive down 60 everyday, don't be soooo scared, its not like their are carjackings or murders over here, your be just fine...but do not give people nasty looks if you stop for gas, cause no matter where you go, if your mean to people, they will be mean right back to you!!! No matter where you go, its your demeanor towards people.

Ummm..you do not know me either, yet you seem to act as if you do, by calling me trashy and too sensitive...i got your MO here btw...If you insult people and their community cause its not as good as yours, then guess what? You hurt feelings, that is NOT being too sensitive.

I could go on here, but why waste my time with the likes of someone like you... who will keep calling me the liar and the one who is too sensitive. I will not spin here anymore, life is too precious and my birdfeeder needs more seed soon, so I gotta go feed them.

I also for the record..
Hear no gun shots
Minimal car music, as I did when I lived on your "Pretenious side of town"
Never felt unsafe in my car on 60.
There is a school there, a good one too, same school district as yours btw!!! SO the education is just as good as yours..Jamestown is not even in this area, its in the "better" part of town.

Anyhow, life is too short to come back here and argue with the likes of you.

I didn't vote for Bush, as I am not partial to politics.

Kimberly

Old 09-07-2006, 11:44 AM

32 posts, read 172,380 times
Listen to all - I'm sorry my thread turned into this. As you can see I've only posted a few times here, but I hope most discussions stay on point.

This thread was intended to be about the New Town development. 1-2 people responded to my questions about NewTown – others felt this topic meant something else…

In defense of VT - all he did was state an opinion from what he saw in the Grove area and I appreciate what he did. I also appreciate Williamsburg's pride in her community. It takes that kind of passion from a neighborhood’s residents to make the improvements she was touting. It sounds like it’s still in a transition stage and that’s great!! I lived in the Ghent section of Norfolk for many years. It has areas all around that are trying to revitalize and I can understand where Williamsburg is coming from.

Broad generalizations about people who live in Grove are wrong (trashy, poor, drug abusers, etc), but so are broad generalizations of people who live in pricier areas (racist, materialistic, pretensious, etc). Being hurtful of one's economic status or rather - neighborhood goes BOTH WAYS.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:46 AM

That was my public service announcement – thank you for reading Can we get back to the topic.... What are everyone's thoughts on New Town??

1) Will it succeed in Williamsburg (which IS a part of Hampton Raods) despite a small population of young professionals and well paying jobs? Can/will the retiree/empty nester population keep it afloat?

2) Do think it can appreciate as a community/development at the already higher than normal prices during an overall real estate market downturn?

3) What is the crime rate / school system like in the immediate area of NEW TOWN - not Grove, Ford's Colony, Newport News, Denbiegh or New Kent.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions and I invite ALL (please come back Williamsburg!!) to help me with this decision for my wife and I.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:44 PM

143 posts, read 756,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadz View Post
Broad generalizations about people who live in Grove are wrong (trashy, poor, drug abusers, etc), but so are broad generalizations of people who live in pricier areas (racist, materialistic, pretensious, etc). Being hurtful of one's economic status or rather - neighborhood goes BOTH WAYS.
Well stated and I agree, let's move forward.

BTW, for whatever it's worth, my Ryan Homes sales representative in Williamsburg has told me that for the past several months the Richmond/Williamsburg region has done extremely well, outpacing other more visible markets like Baltimore/Washington, in terms of new home sales. I'm not sure what's driving this growth, but it's a good sign. Perhaps some of the locals can enlighten us a bit.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:36 AM

New Town is also planning on building affordable homes in NEW TOWN for those who qualify, have to make no more than an certain amount, but if your moderate income and need assistance, they will have housing in that area as well, was suprised bout that, I am sure many will not be too happy to hear this, oh well get used to it, cause it will soon be in all areas, maybe even gated ones, one day down the road here...Just wanted to give my public service announcement to all who might want to know! LOL! Have a great day!!!

The source was an announcment in a bi monthly newsletter so it is not hearsay or an misunderstanding of any kind!

Old 09-11-2006, 11:23 AM

26,144 posts, read 48,818,667 times
Default Perspectives

Thanks for getting this thread back on topic. The point of this site is to exchange information with each other, not bitter words.

As one of several newly appointed moderators, I hate bickering and dumped quite a few postings in another forum when it got out of hand. If we stick to facts and simply state that these are our observations and perceptions about a topic, we will all get along. We are not here to judge or critique other people's opinions about a topic. If we perceive something a certain way, its true for us - but may not be perceived the same by others, and that is just fine.

Most postings on this site are personal opinions. Opinions are fully subjective, our personal perspective on something we see or hear, and we process these observations and internalize them based on whatever it is that makes each of us a unique individual. I often start my statements with words like "in my opinion" or I use the "IMO" term. If we think a posting is not accurate, simply reply with enough information to support your different point of view, forget about scolding or knocking the other guy.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: The old story about a glass on a table is 50% full with water.
- A pessimist says "The glass is half empty."
- An optimist says "The glass is half full."
Both statements are true and correct. No one lied. Each reported an observation - relative to how they process input. But there is one more perspective that is equally true.
- An engineer says: "The container and the amount of its contents do not match." (I'm no Trekkie, but Mr. Spock would like the last one, its all logic and no emotional processing of data.)

Thanks for getting back on track. Really.
s/Mike

Old 09-11-2006, 02:05 PM

I couldn't agree more with that! Thanks for your post!

Old 09-11-2006, 05:28 PM

Well, I'm glad it is back on track. My wife and I visited the development over the weekend and love it. It is just what we're looking for, However... I still have the same concerns. Anyone please feel free to jump in. I would like to read the locals' opinions on this development.
1) Will it last in Williamsburg
2) Can it appreciate in a declining housing market?
3) What kind of shops are going in?

BTW, to Williamsburg/Kimberly... you are correct. They did have a few units that were considered "affordable housing". The unit in particular was much smaller than the others, but looked equally as charming from the outside. Residents for that unit need to qualify by some standards. Unfortunatley my wife and I do not. The realator said there's a waiting list about 100 miles long. Not sure how many units of this kind tere will be, but I welcome it.

I think mixed use developments such as this work better when there are a good diverse demographic. When I lived in the Ghent neighborhood in Norfolk, it was also considered a "snobby" area by those who didn't live there. We lived by artists, students, plumbers, restaraunt employees, doctors, lawyers and all different types. It was great.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:47 AM

Williamsburg as a whole, has grown and appreciated faster than most little towns on average. I believe this area will keep booming and appreciating for many factors. However I am not an expert either! Even the moderate income areas *those who are not millionaires* have grown and increased in value. My home has more than doubled in only six short years! New Towne, in my own opinion will not only grow, it will prosper. I had many agents tell me that any home, in any part of Williamsburg is going to be an great investment. And that Toano is going to also follow suit cause its close to Williamsburg and enjoys the same school system, which is above average to excellent...not that it does not have it faults, cause it does. But when you compare it to surrounding schools, and others in the state or even in the country, you have one great school system! I do not send my child to a public school and never would...but that is me here..so I am speaking volumes here then!

New Town is conveinent. And it is going to set the standard for a more cosmo feel in this town. I feel it can become alot like Alexandria one day, at least I pray it does! Even in the moderate income areas, home values shoot up. I do believe that any real estate in Williamsburg will either become very valuable down the road, if it has not already shoot up in value and the values are maintaining, not increasing so much as before, but certainly not going below value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia