Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM

143 posts, read 757,963 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, my family and I are moving to Toano the end of this year. For the last several months we've been trying to gather as much information about Williamsburg as we can. We even subscribed to the Virginia Gazette.

I was hoping a few folks who live in or around Williamsburg could bring us up to speed on some of the pro and cons of the area. Also, how accepting is Williamsburg of outsiders? My wife and I are in our mid 40s and have two boys ages 12 and 15. I'm of English/German descent, and my wife is Japanese/Irish. The area seems to be very friendly and diverse, which is one of the things that attracted us.

Last edited by kcrossley; 09-04-2006 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 04:20 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
williamsburg is a great place to live you shouldnt ever be bored, although it is pricey due to the tourist business .
there are plenty of outlets to go shopping and the pottery..... well i dont know how to explain the potwery you must just go.
toano is a good choice for living its outside of the business district.
if you dont want to hassle with the crowded wmsburg you can take rt 30 over to westpoint a small town in between the rapahanock and york rivers

Old 09-09-2006, 05:50 PM

How long does the tourist season usually last? What months are the worst? Also, what's I-64 like during the busy seasons?

Old 09-11-2006, 03:14 PM

291 posts, read 1,360,587 times
Honestly, its overpriced and snobby (IN MY OWN HONEST TO GOD OPINION!!!)sorry! If I could move, I would! But it is not as bad as some places in the country I suppose, the air is clean, it is pretty here, mild winters also help if you dislike winter!

Old 09-11-2006, 03:16 PM

I 64 is very dangerous, accidents all the time, and usually long waits to get to point A and B..that is why people use other routes, that also are getting popular and clogged as well! I never drive it, my hubby will as he is used to that kind of traffic.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:21 PM

It will take time for people to warm up to you, unless your very well off, then your have no problem at all. The locals are a mix of people here, usually from somewhere else. The people I met here, the ones who lived here for generations are proud to tell you that they go slow with new people here and are not quick to warm up to them...I had more than one person tell me that! The nicest people I met here are from "other places" and are of the more cosmopolitian mix, as you folks are...they are more open minded and accepting of people of other cultures and etc, esp in my neck of the woods, the folks in grove are a mix of ethnics who live in harmony and respect of each other, at least most of us anyhow! Best of luck to you in Toano, they are buildilng new apts in Toano, low cost housing as well, and it will help with the lack of mulitculturalism out that way! At least we all hope so!!! Take care!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsburg,Va View Post
Honestly, its overpriced and snobby (IN MY OWN HONEST TO GOD OPINION!!!)sorry! If I could move, I would! But it is not as bad as some places in the country I suppose, the air is clean, it is pretty here, mild winters also help if you dislike winter!
It's very strange you would say this after you made this statement on 8-29-06, which I've copied below:

-------begin copied post--------

We just bought a home in Williamsburg, Va...for under 200k! We live in the Grove area and love it here! Home values for homes under 300k are still going up, in our price range.

Our neighbors are friendly(In many places that is not the case here) and the area is mostly country with some industrial businesses but at least it is not built up like the rest of Williamsburg!

Our home value went up 25 grand in just four short months! I hope that we can retire here oneday...and we are close enough to Newport News that we can hit the mall, shopping and beach in alot less time, than if we lived in the Toano area.

-------end copied post--------

Why has your opinion changed so dramatically?

Old 09-11-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I 64 is very dangerous, accidents all the time, and usually long waits to get to point A and B..that is why people use other routes, that also are getting popular and clogged as well! I never drive it, my hubby will as he is used to that kind of traffic.
I heard that VDOT has a plan in place to widen I-64. Is this untrue?

Old 09-11-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
They are buildilng new apts in Toano, low cost housing as well, and it will help with the lack of mulitculturalism out that way! At least we all hope so!!! Take care!
I certainly wish I would have had some lower price housing options before I made my new home decision. I have not heard any of this. Can you be more specific? Do you have any links to the new developments you're referring to?

Old 09-12-2006, 05:52 AM

I was speaking bout other places in this area, not where I live...don't you have anything better to do than attack me anyhow? I stand by my comments, but do not wish to battle with your tactics here...I even tried to help you out, and this is the thanks for that? I do believe its a nice safe area, I never said it wasn't...but I do have my gripes as everyone else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia