Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 5,533 times

Advertisements

We are considering a relocation to Virginia. Need to narrow it down. Advice? As suggested in a former thread, here is some info so this post can be answered quickly and not brought back up over and over again:

-Where you are working - I am a stay at home, homeschooling mother. My husband is currently a restaurant manager, but will take any job that will provide a reasonable salary and benefits. "Reasonable" for us would be about 33K a year, give or take a teeny bit.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing - Renting, no more than $800/month. We need 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, decent sq. footage... such as 1000 or 1100.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - No more than 30 mins.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?- We like to think of ourselves as free range learners. Thats sarcasm for "We homeschool."
Although; it would be great to know if there are any homeschooling co-ops in the state.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - We just want a safe, family friendly neighborhood. Quiet. No loud parties. No shootings. We don't need bake sales on every corner but we don't want any drive-by's either.

-Community amenities important to you- a convenient grocery store, a good pediatrician, a not-too-far emergency room (We have all boys; we're bound to need one sooner than later.)..... Churches would be nice. But only the open, kind, generous, casual, down to Earth.. organic churches... non-denominational... We'll visit around but we'd like to relocate to a city with several options.

-Pie or cake? - Red velvet cake. Mines the best; sorry everyone. its a 74 year old recipe... and its THE best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,207,604 times
Lots of Virginians home school. If you are a Christian home schooler, you will find much company. If you are secular home schooler, they exist in Virginia too.

$800 a month for rent for a house is not a lot. In the city of Charlottsville, that would get you an apartment, but the rents in C-Ville are inflated (in my opinion) over the university.

$800 a month rent won't get you a safe place near any of the major metropolitan areas -- another poster will correct me (hopefully) if I am wrong.

I suggest you go on craigslist and look at rentals just to get a handle on rents. I realize this may or may not be the best place to find a rental, but it's an easy way to scan through ads for a given area.

Churches - we've got plenty of every denomination and non-denominational. We've got main stream and wacko and everything in between. We've got small family churches to large mega-churches. You won't have any trouble finding a church.

Virginia is a big state with a wide range of geography. Even the weather can change considerably from area to area. Do you have a preference? That might help other posters give you information. There will be a huge difference in rent and some of the other questions you've asked between Danville and Leesburg.

I would also recommend that your husband line up a job first and let that dictate in large part where you settle.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 AM

144 posts, read 418,698 times
I agree with TN Lily. My hands became tied in offering help after reading your rental cost expectations. I would suggest to also look at Trulia for homes and photos in the major Virginia areas of NoVA, Charlottesville, Richmond, Hampton Roads, etc. You will then be keyed into the major area that looks like what you want at the price you want to pay. Then you can ask questions specifically of that area's residents so that you will get valuable responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia