Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:26 PM

267 posts, read 1,674,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
Well said. I'm not a minority so that is what makes the response so interesting. And the people that I know who got promoted with their Strayer degrees are not minorities either. Its fine to have an opinion but I just ask for some respect and not for someone to be so judgemental.
Thanks. I'm not a minority either, but that was insane. The post I responded to was very poorly written and so obviously written to be inflammatory. I have looked at Strayer, but decided it was too expensive. I would love to be able to quit work and go to school full time to finish my degree. I am a Federal employee and work with a wide variety of people. Promotions are not race based and since where I work the promotion boards usually have nothing but performance appraisals and training history, it's really very blind.

Also, my previous boss who has taught there is a highly placed engineer and very well thought of.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:30 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,980 times
Thanks for the responses! I was just up in NOVA this weekend and was suprised at all the Strayer car decals for parking etc I saw. I know Strayer is sometimes viewed as just an online school but they have alot of campuses around, including one in NN where I plan to take alot of my core classes.

Also, while riding the metro and driving around, there were alot of colleges I noticed that I have never heard of before. So I wonder how people view those colleges on resumes. Alot of times if they are unheard of, they will be viewed less than ones that are well known.

Either way, my husband and I plan to relocate to the midwest after we graduate with our degrees. Without degrees we would have problems getting a stable job but with degrees we will be alot better off.

Thanks again for the positive comments. I work for a government contractor and know many people who have had alot of advancement with thier Strayer degrees as well as degrees from St. Leo and other colleges.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 22,017 times
Default Currently attending Strayer...

I have been attending Strayer University for almost a year now so although this is my first post, I think I can at least give an honest opinion.

First of all, I've been living in the Hampton Roads area for 4 years and spent another 5 years here from 1995-2000. When I began my search for a college/university that I could complete my Bachelors Degree at I was looking for a school in the area so that I could ATTEND classes in a classroom. I don't mind online courses, but I find that I'm better disciplined with a classroom environment. I looked at Regent, St. Leo, University of Maryland, Old Dominion University, and several other schools that the Navy College Campus had information on.

So why did I end up at Strayer?

Well, here were the deciding factors.
First, none of the other schools had a Military Scholarship like Strayer.
Quote:
Active-Duty Military Scholarship.
Our military scholarship supplements the military’s tuition assistance program (TA) and other educational resources to offer 100% tuition coverage for undergraduate tuition, and a majority of graduate tuition, for up to two courses per quarter. Through the Servicemembers Opportunity College, servicemembers can receive additional educational credits.
With that scholarship and TA, I could take two classes a quarter and not pay a dime in tuition costs. Additionally, I received the most transfer credits for my college classes and military experience at Strayer. Now I realize you all aren't in the military so I will offer some other points, but this one was top of the list for me.

I could take classes in the evening where it wouldn't conflict with my Navy responsibilities. Strayer is very good for the working adult who can't take classes during the day.

Strayer's classes are challenging and seem comparable to classes others are taking at the above named schools. They don't give you a grade just for showing up to class.

So does this make Strayer the best school? Well for me it was the right choice, but it would be expensive in comparison to the other above mentioned schools if I didn't have the scholarship and TA. Strayer's tuition is about $50 - $150 more per credit hour then the schools I listed above. I still have to pay for books and they aren't cheap either. I realize the Strayer University may not have the name prestige as other schools do, but I believe people can put an overemphasis on those sorts of things.

With my Navy experience (23years) and a BS in Information Systems (Network) I will be competitive when I go to look for a job after military retirement. I can give you many examples of people with degrees and certifications with no experience that aren't as good as their "credentials" say they are. In contrast, there are plenty of experienced workers without a degree that could market themselves much better if they went back to school. Bottom line-I'm sure many will agree that experience and a degree from an accredited school together makes you a valuable employee. Strayer is not a Harvard or Yale in name, but it is a respectable University and I believe it has merit!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:39 AM

103 posts, read 899,946 times
I love Strayer University, and the classes are challenging. The cost is expensive, but the VA paid for the classes. It is a good school but very expensive.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 21,978 times
Quote:
Well said. I'm not a minority so that is what makes the response so interesting. And the people that I know who got promoted with their Strayer degrees are not minorities either. Its fine to have an opinion but I just ask for some respect and not for someone to be so judgemental.
I am finishing my BS at Strayer right now. The classes range from easy to hard (statistics). I managed a 4.0 but I would expect nothing less for an online degree. I have 10 years experience in my field and will backup my degree with Cisco certifications. I didn't do a lot of research before attending. I don't plan on going into a Masters program but it would be interesting to know if the degree would be accepted at any other college in VA.

washingtonpost.com: Education Marketplace

U.Va.'s Sondra Stallard Named New President of Strayer University

Not sure if these links will help, but going to Strayer was my only choice since I travel so much.

Also Strayer is reckognized at these websites:

http://www.chea.org
U.S. Department of Education Home Page
OEDb's Online College Rankings 2007 | OEDb

Old 12-10-2007, 10:18 PM

4 posts, read 54,590 times
I just want to say one thing. I believe Strayer University is a FOR-PROFIT organization (I believe most private universities are either non-profit or not-for-profit). Mmmm.... what is the primary mission of such an organization? MAKE SHAREHOLDERS HAPPY (Strayer is listed in NASDAQ: STRAYER EDUCATION INC)? Sure, the COMPANY generally wants to make CUSTOMERS happy. Who are those CUSTOMERS? What do the company SELL????? IMHO, college degree is something you work hard for 4-years FULL TIME to obtain!!!! There is no short cut in the real education! Ask anyone who went through brutal 4-year FULL-TIME college education. Everyone would agree with me. By the way, I am NOT trying to insult anyone here. I'm just stating my opinion.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 43,615 times
Default Hi, I graduated from Strayer University.

Quote:
Both my husband and I attended Thomas Nelson community college before attending Strayer. The classes there were easy, I've actually found Strayer classes to be alot harder and challenging. The company I work for has tuition reimbursement so I havent had to worry about paying for my education.

I've found other colleges around here dont want to deal with the working adults, and it would take us that much longer to get our degrees. Christopher Newport wont even take any local people in anymore! They want everyone who is a traditional college student who has their parents paying their way. The transfer person in charge at Thomas Nelson even told me I'd have a slim to none of getting into CNU with a 4.0 because I live in Newport News and work full time.

Everything I read about Strayer that has been bad was all about people having financial aid problems. Well, I dont have to deal with any of that and I'm very lucky. I know SEVERAL people who have graduated from Strayer and have gotten huge promotions in my company and elsewhere in the area.

Also, I have a friend who graduated from Grantham University with his degree in IT. I have NEVER heard of this school and couldnt tell you where its located. Well, he makes over $80,000 base pay and $100,000 a year with overtime working for a government contractor. He tried to attend Penn State for his Masters and couldnt pass the enterance exam! Yet he knows his job and he's great at IT, his masters was going to be in business.

Strayer is not strictly online, and has a campus here in Newport News and throughout the east. My husband and I are taking our general classes online and plan to take our Bachelors classes in the classroom so we have the hands on experience. I plan to go elsewhere for my Masters.

I appreciate your comments on Strayer but feel that people from all over the world can go to "top notch" schools and still be complete idiots. I work with engineers all day long that mostly come from Virginia Tech and ODU and half of them dont know how to function in the real world. They cant even get calculations right!
I graduated from Strayer University and I am working for one of the largest corporations in the US (and the world) as a financial analyst. I had great teachers and I was able to hold my daytime job as a staff accountant while I went to school at night. I would not pay attention to any negative comments about this university from people that have never attended this school. I recommend it, I am a well respected Accountant and when I have been in the market for a job I have been able to choose from offers from employers such as Lockheed Martin, Bearing Point, etc. Good Luck to you both.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 43,615 times
Default Strayer is a well respected University

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbinchrist View Post
I have been attending Strayer University for almost a year now so although this is my first post, I think I can at least give an honest opinion.

First of all, I've been living in the Hampton Roads area for 4 years and spent another 5 years here from 1995-2000. When I began my search for a college/university that I could complete my Bachelors Degree at I was looking for a school in the area so that I could ATTEND classes in a classroom. I don't mind online courses, but I find that I'm better disciplined with a classroom environment. I looked at Regent, St. Leo, University of Maryland, Old Dominion University, and several other schools that the Navy College Campus had information on.

So why did I end up at Strayer?

Well, here were the deciding factors.
First, none of the other schools had a Military Scholarship like Strayer.

With that scholarship and TA, I could take two classes a quarter and not pay a dime in tuition costs. Additionally, I received the most transfer credits for my college classes and military experience at Strayer. Now I realize you all aren't in the military so I will offer some other points, but this one was top of the list for me.

I could take classes in the evening where it wouldn't conflict with my Navy responsibilities. Strayer is very good for the working adult who can't take classes during the day.

Strayer's classes are challenging and seem comparable to classes others are taking at the above named schools. They don't give you a grade just for showing up to class.

So does this make Strayer the best school? Well for me it was the right choice, but it would be expensive in comparison to the other above mentioned schools if I didn't have the scholarship and TA. Strayer's tuition is about $50 - $150 more per credit hour then the schools I listed above. I still have to pay for books and they aren't cheap either. I realize the Strayer University may not have the name prestige as other schools do, but I believe people can put an overemphasis on those sorts of things.

With my Navy experience (23years) and a BS in Information Systems (Network) I will be competitive when I go to look for a job after military retirement. I can give you many examples of people with degrees and certifications with no experience that aren't as good as their "credentials" say they are. In contrast, there are plenty of experienced workers without a degree that could market themselves much better if they went back to school. Bottom line-I'm sure many will agree that experience and a degree from an accredited school together makes you a valuable employee. Strayer is not a Harvard or Yale in name, but it is a respectable University and I believe it has merit!
I graduated from Strayer University and I am working for one of the largest corporations in the US (and the world) as a financial analyst. I had great teachers and I was able to hold my daytime job as a staff accountant while I went to school at night. I would not pay attention to any negative comments about this university from people that have never attended this school. I recommend it, I am a well respected Accountant and when I have been in the market for a job I have been able to choose from offers from employers such as Lockheed Martin, Bearing Point, etc. I know many people that graduated from Strayer and they are all doing very well.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 54,590 times
Like someone has mentioned in the previous thread, Virginia has top-notch public school education. Why not utilize it? For the young population, it is definitely a better choice to attend NVCC and then transfer to GMU or ODU. Strayer University is for the older population who do not have much options. In my opinion, Strayer University should NEVER be the first choice of school for the next generation of fellow Americans who must to be highly educated to defend the nation's technological lead/advantage from emerging foreign powers like India and China.

A simple question to ask yourself: Suppose your son and/or daughter has choice to attend George Mason or Strayer, which one would you recommend? Study full-time at GMU to get the real education and a reputable degree? OR Work and study half-and-half at Strayer?

Again, I am just stating my opinions. My intention here is not to offend anyone.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 21,683 times
Default Strayer University

I am attending in Tampa and do find the expense alittle overwhelming The bookstroe is a real treat They advertise that they have a book buy back and will sell used books but when you try to do either one they never have that book or they can't use the one you have for sale because it issupposedly outdated in 11 weeks get real
I do appreciate the online classes since I work 2 jobs but man this is getting more than even I can afford it is a toss up Book for class or gas to go to work
Just had a go round and I am venting but I do understand the feeling of it being expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia