U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 07:29 AM

33 posts, read 59,402 times

Advertisements

Frederick, Shenandoah, or Warren.
Looking to retire and want both nature and modern conveniences. Budget is 300k. A little acreage would be nice....

We are from Tampa and really like the area but need help in choosing the right county. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:17 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,237,861 times
Are taxes important to you? You can go on the websites for each county and compare real estate and personal property tax rates.

What do you consider modern conveniences? Some people may consider a strip shopping center with a Food Lion okay while others want a nearby shopping mall and several different grocery stores.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Let's say, no more than 30 minutes to the mall and no more than 10 min to a couple decent grocery stores. I would like to have a few acres just on the outskirts of a modern popular and growing town.

I'm hoping to find a place to spend the rest of my life. Need access to nature and high speed internet.

You know any place like that?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Hopefully someone on these counties will respond.

I am in Louisa County. High-speed internet is limited. I know the town of Louisa has it. Some of the newer subdivisions have it. But most of Louisa County does NOT have it. We rely on an air card and have resolved that any future home must have real broadband/hi-speed Internet.

I personally like the Harrisonburg area. The southern parts of Shenandoah County would put you within 30 minutes of Harrisonburg. There are lots of shopping and restaurant options there.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Thanks so much, I appreciate. I want the 4 seasons, too. Can you count on snow every year?

Old 10-12-2011, 05:53 PM

156 posts, read 326,855 times
remember to check where you are looking that you want internet and no co=op electric company.I live in Pittsylvania county and it is a nice area cheap taxes Danville electric and it has high speed internet in most areas under century link phone service In pittsylvania county any house you check out you can go on the pittslvania gis sight and get all the info on the property you are interested in .It will give you the tax info a pic and the lay out of the property and in most cases the a house pic also

Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 AM

Why no cooperative electric company?
I have Central Va. Electric Coop and am very happy.
When Dominion customers have been without power for up to a week, I had power.
As time goes by, receiving capital credit checks from coops is a good thing.

You need to verify that true hi-speed Internet is available. I see too many ads where a satellite dish is pawned off as being hi-speed.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:23 AM

156 posts, read 326,855 times
my son has a co-op in saxe virginia and they have been a nightmare .I have danville electric and did not loose electric at all this past winter .My bill for a house 2440 sq.ft newer build is around 200 a month and I went led and am now looking into wind sun turbine that was shown on this new house on diy network .You have to think about weather and storms and snow where you want to move remember buyers market .I lived in NJ all my life before moving and retiring to VA and thought long and hard where I wanted to live .I bought this property a whole year before it was built on .It took me a year to decide where I wanted to buy since I was open to anywhere from the start of VA all the way to NC .I settled on 15 minutes outside of NC and would not want to live anywhere else .I looked all over VA all the way up to Hillsville VA and all the way over to VA beach area .My house is built fro 2x6 studs and has a full basement on a view lot or lots since I bought 3 lots and I went with triple glazed windows to cut energy bills and insulated the basement slab and walls .I wanted the house sealed up against cold and heat and the only reason I feel my electric bill is that high is because I built a koi pond and that needs pumps for air and water and is lighted with all LED lights .The cost was high but worth the investment .I paid 89 thousand for the house land and septic and well and the lots were 5 thousand each .With co-ops I do agree there are some good but since they are not regulated by state or government you have to consider that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or