U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,450 times

Advertisements

I'm unfortunately serving time at Varina High School now (not even sure what I'm in for.) I don't understand, this place is full of nothing but clueless rednecks and wannabe gangsters. Where are all the smart people in this state? (aside from Northern VA of course) What do we have to do to attract more intelligent people to this state and educate the ones we already have here?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 AM

1,765 posts, read 3,258,330 times
I assume you are a student. You are there to get your high school diploma. You are there because your parents or guardian live in that school district. Get good grades, get into a college or trade school after you graduate and move on with your life. Yes, I know you realize this. But it is that simple.

I have a middle school student in Louisa Co. Middle School. I hear the same complaints from her. Her school has advanced placement classes where the red necks and wannabe gangters are limited. That helps.

I do not know what Varina H.S. is like. Here in Louisa, high school football is king. I suspect that this mentality may be partly at play in your school. If Louisa Co. residents valued academics as much as they did football, the school system here would be wonderful.

Hang in there. You won't be in high school forever.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,138,041 times
Can anyone imagine if just a small part of the energy students expend on high school football could be directed toward academics what that would accomplish? In Roanoke a new high school was built not long ago and it seemed like a giant football stadium with a school built around it, definately the emphasis was on sports.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:12 AM

8,112 posts, read 9,551,230 times
Welcome to High School! Do you really think the caliper of people is any better at Godwin, Deep Run or Atlee?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:13 PM

154 posts, read 325,195 times
I agree with these posters, high school sucks wherever you are. When you're in public school, you're with members of the general pubic. It is character building...

Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 PM

2,777 posts, read 3,028,678 times
Went to high school in a pricey NY suburb......nothing but guidos (northern rednecks) and wanna-be gangsters....its the same everywhere. Just get it over with and move on.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:15 PM

943 posts, read 1,555,058 times
Default pot that called the kettle...

A-hem 'guido's'.. hmmm, now that's a slur if ever I heard one.
Ought to chuck that one back into your highly educated complaint department.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM

156 posts, read 327,711 times
high school is supposed to be for learning not for stupidity .High school means you are going to have to grow up and become a responsible adult and go out in society and add to the world not detract from it .High school should not be places where you need metal detectors to get in the school or police inside the schools .That cost tax payers money and we should not need this kind of stuff in a school .You need to be responsible people not snotty brats that think the world owes you .We are owed only for what we work for .Learning what the value of a life is and respecting that will make you successful and make you rich in mind, body and soul .I'm not into religion but also have the brains to know you will pay the price sooner or later .

Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 PM

892 posts, read 1,928,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
A-hem 'guido's'.. hmmm, now that's a slur if ever I heard one.
Ought to chuck that one back into your highly educated complaint department.
Unfortunately because of brain draining shows like the Jersey Shore, words like 'guido' are not considered derogatory anymore. Oh well.

To the OP on yet another possible Richmond troll thread, as others have said, HS sucks and is the same everywhere. Seriously, you could be somewhere much worse! When you finally grow up, you will come to realize that everywhere is very similar these days. My best friend went to HS in Sussex county NJ and stated that even they had rednecks there too. Land of the guido no less. Just try focusing on the positive, instead of always seeing the negative. At your young age that is difficult to do, but it might make your outlook more positive.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,794,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
Unfortunately because of brain draining shows like the Jersey Shore, words like 'guido' are not considered derogatory anymore.
Unless someone really is from New Jersey

Quote:
My best friend went to HS in Sussex county NJ and stated that even they had rednecks there too.
Yes, few parts of the state are spared from rednecks, also called "Pineys", "Hicks", and (further south) "Hillbillies".

Quote:
Just try focusing on the positive, instead of always seeing the negative. At your young age that is difficult to do, but it might make your outlook more positive.
Good advice. OP, get a few good friends, find your favorite things to do, study hard, and think of the future. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or