Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:09 AM

9 posts, read 55,944 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the reply.

Like I said I lived in Virginia Beach for a year and a half and liked it, but it was too far to the east. I would like to get away from the beaches and be more inland near the lakes and mountains.

Virginia Beach had a lot going on. There was always something to do. If you like the big city, but crave the small town feel then I think you may like Va. Beach.

Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 11:36 AM

33 posts, read 148,112 times
Well,I am not a beach person either.....I live about 20 min from the ocean and go to the beach mayby 5 times a year......dont like messy sand,or salty water.....I like lakes and rivers too.....
I would consider va beach just b/s of the affordable housing.....
I still prefer more north and inland.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:14 AM

12 posts, read 49,719 times
It's Nice To See I Am Not The Only One That
Can't Stand Florida....i Can't Wait To Get Back To Va....back To Nice Views And Seasons
Where You Know They Have Changed

Old 11-14-2006, 07:34 PM

18 posts, read 66,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strooby View Post
Hi everyone! This site seems to be very helpful to a lot of people trying to relocate to Va.

I have to get out of Florida! I moved back to Florida because my family needed me. My sister was going through some rough times and I wanted to be there for her. Everybody seems to be doing well now, but I am not happy down here. It's too hot and I am not a salt water person. I really miss the fresh water lakes, rivers, the mountains and hills of being up north.

I lived in Virginia Beach for about a year and a half and really loved it there. What I didn't particularly care for was it being too close to the beach with those whipping winds. Brrr! LOL But I could deal with it.

Virginia Beach is also too large of a city. I grew up in a town of about 5-6,000 people. We lived on a street off of Main St. What I loved about where I grew up is that I could walk to town and get my hair cut, go to the pharmacy store, go to the lake, or park, etc.

Over the summer my sisters and I took a vacation to KY and TN. In our travels we drove through a town called Damascus, which led me on a search online for local towns around Damascus. Some of the towns I found were Abingdon, Saltville, and Wytheville, which seemed to be towns with the older historic feel like where I grew up.

I apologize for writing a book here, but I wanted to try and explain exactly what I was looking for in my new hometown. Can anyone give me some other areas similiar to these towns? Or if you know anything about these towns I mentioned. Pros and cons, whatever I would really appreciate your insight. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
Hi, I currently live in Abingdon, Va. actually I was born here and have lived here most of my life (I'm 41 yrs. old). If you want beauty, mountains, nature, lakes, rivers and streams...then this place is it...however, if you need to make a living by working, then your best bet is to never come here, unless of course you don't mind slave labor. If you have allergies then come prepared with your inhaler and whatever else you may need to breathe. Cost of living is somewhat reasonable when compared to Northern Va. (Richmond, Blacksburg etc...) but still when you can't get employment it doesn't matter how cheap the area is to live in...rent has to be paid be it 300.00 per month or 1500.00 per month. Also be sure to have that southern draw accent down to a science because once the locals realize you aren't from this "local area" they'll cast you aside to die in the misery they will cause you.

I am on my out of this place...never to return... because man or woman can not live on beauty alone!
Good Luck!

Old 11-29-2006, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,874 times
Default Response from former Smyth Co. Lady

[
I grew up in Smyth Co. in Chilhowie ( 10 min from Marion) and I am also a Realtor with Scenic Realty in Wythe Co., if you are looking for quiet, country living with gorgeous views this is for you! Within an 1 hour ride in just about any direction there are many things to do: hiking, shopping, wine-tasting and tours, many museums and local events such as the Apple festival and nearby is the Barter Theatre. The homes is Smyth Co. are reasonably priced for the most part, most are older homes and 3bdr/2bath homes are always on short supply.
On the downside, Smyth Co. is struggling , Main Street looked like a ghost street until quite recently. Industry has does not have much of an interest in moving to Smyth Co. (that could be a plus for your situation) and the lack of decent jobs has been an issue for last several years.

I am very familiar with this area and I would be happy to help you! I can send you some info. if you would like. My name is Michelle Shelton and you can contact me @ (276) 228-9255 or at scenicrealty@earthlink.net, I am not a pushy realtor and I am very straightforward, shoot from the hip kind of gal.

I hope this helps you some.

QUOTE=BillT;92866]My wife and I are semi-retired and considering a move to Southwestern Virginia; possibly Smyth County.

Any comments as to the advantages/disadvantages of Smyth County over others?

I also need a recommendation for a good Realtor. (I'm sure that request will generate a lot of responses from Realtors, but I'd really like to get comments from those who can recommend a Realtor in Smyth County. Realtors: If your respond, WHY should I choose YOU over the others?)

Thank you!

BillT[/quote]

Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 AM

35 posts, read 143,977 times
If you are interested in Damascus, I can only encourage you. I live in Abingdon, and I'll say this. Both Abingdon & Damascus are VERY tourist-friendly towns. What does that really mean? It means that there is a higher % of diverse restaurants, shopping, & travel accomodations (i.e. B&B inns) available than in most small towns. Also, a more diverse population.

Damascus is TOTALLY geared towards accomodating the Appalachian Trail hikers & the Creeper Trail biker/hikers than anywhere else within hundreds of miles. That means that Damascus is indeed a very small town, but that it has a strong tourist industry geared towards the hiking/biking crowd. If you're a couch potato, don't bother visiting! if you are into the outdoors, enviro awareness, etc. this is probably a great spot for you. It only takes about 1-2 minutes of driving VERY slowly to go through Damascus, but you are guaranteed to see at least 3-10 hikers with backpacks when you do! After all, Damascus is known as the 'Post Office of the Appalachian Trail'!

As for Abingdon, it also has a large share of the outdoor element. It has even more of the antique shop/stage production/arts&crafts feel, though. If your idea of heaven is to browse through some antique shops, then catch a play, and/or visit some pottery/crafts vendors, before grabbing a meal at an eclectic restaurant, Abingdon is the town for you. Sure, it's got some franchise restaurants, but the SMART people in town go to Alison's for some potato chowder for lunch, or to Tammy's Cafe on Main for a great tenderloin/egg biscuit for breakfast, or to Wither's Hardware restaurant for a great grilled trout dinner.

They also stroll along Main Street & visit the antique stores. Not to mention the various shops, from stained glass to lawn & garden to curios.There are also tons of historic buildings in town, and even some great old mills nearby, for a REAL touch of history!

Abingdon is the perfect place for a relaxing weekend visit, and Damascus is the perfect place for an 'active' weekend visit. As a result, both make for a great place to live. I came three years ago, and I love, no... LOVE it! Abingdon, ABDN, is my hometown forever!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:06 PM

10 posts, read 75,037 times
Oh my goodness! I stopped into Alison's and we thought it might be cute because the name is close to our own (no relation) ... but what a HUGE surprise! Man, that place is phenomenal. We don't live in this area, but any time we drive past Abingdon in the future, we will definitely be finding some excuse to declare that to be "mealtime" and stop over to Alison's. What a find!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 11,846 times
Try Wytheville.....it's a great place !

Old 08-24-2007, 04:21 AM

7 posts, read 28,531 times
Holston High School , is the High School in Damascus Virginia. My sister just started going this year to Holston, it seems to offer many "gifted" programs, from what I have heard. Here's the link to the school website Welcome to Holston High School!. Damascus, is a "Tourist" Town though, keep that in mind, and if you are going to live in the town of Damascus, you may want to look around, stay a while, and consider all your options. It is a very pretty place, yes, and lots of outdoor activities. It's a very, very small town. Here is another link to the school overview Holston High School - Damascus, Virginia - VA - school overview

Old 05-10-2014, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,696 times
I would love to move to Damascus, VA, I am on disability but I love the small town and all the trails so close, I would need to rent, if anyone has any advice, suggestions or ideas please let me know. You can also reach me at randoleon@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia