U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 PM

6 posts, read 4,236 times
Default want to relocate to new market, va

we are looking to move to the new market area. we stayed there on our honeymoon a few years back and now we want to live up there. the thing is, i'm having a hard time finding work for my husband in that area. i'm a stay at home mom and can do research online but you know that can only get me but so far. we live in nc and would be visiting later on this month or early next month. my husband does heating and air work but is willing to change his profession if the pay is right. we are also looking for a 3 bedroom place that allows pets to rent at the $500 mark if that is possible any help would be great. thanks for your time on reading this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 04:53 AM

247 posts, read 267,775 times
That's gonna be tough, there's not many options w/ New Market being so small. For jobs your husband would be better looking in Harrisonburg or Woodstock. There is a hospital in Woodstock, check to see if they need someone in maintance. Can't help w/ the housing, sorry.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:25 AM

6,530 posts, read 8,672,474 times
I'd say look at the surrounding school districts (As far south as Rockingham County and Harrisonburg City and as far north as Frederick County and Winchester City) to see if any are hiring maintenance or HVAC workers...

Old 01-11-2012, 06:18 PM

5,151 posts, read 8,359,238 times
I echo Emsman - between the budget, no job prospects, etc. - why would you even think about it?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:58 AM

didn't you read my post? we thought the area was beautiful on our honeymoon and i posted to see what the area had for us and either way you don't live there. i don't mean to be rude but you were rude for asking that.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:07 AM

3,894 posts, read 4,521,999 times
Rent for $500? I don't live in the New Market area although I agree it's a very nice area. I ride my motorcycle there all the time. But I can't imagine even an area this far from the DC area will have rent in this range for a 3 bedroom.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,217,115 times
Check Craigslist for Harrisonburg for rentals in New Market.
I would suspect that your husband's best bet for a job is in Harrisonburg.
Check the websites of the HVAC contractors for jobs.
You can probably pull up chamber of commerce websites for Rockingham County, Shenandoah County & Harrisonburg to track down HVAC contractors in the area.

As someone else indicated, check the schools & colleges.
Besides JMU there is Eastern Mennonite University & Bridgewater College.

I just searched on the Harrisonburg Craigslist for housing in New Market.
$500 won't get you a house based on this search.
There is a three bedroom one bath house in New Market for $725. Pets allowed, but the ad says one small animal inside.

$500 will get you an apartment in Harrisonburg.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,217,115 times
There is a job posting on the H-burg Craigslist with this title:
HVAC General Maintenance Tech. Immediate Opening (Harrisonburg, VA)

Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 AM

842 posts, read 926,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom2 View Post
we are looking to move to the new market area. we stayed there on our honeymoon a few years back and now we want to live up there. the thing is, i'm having a hard time finding work for my husband in that area. i'm a stay at home mom and can do research online but you know that can only get me but so far. we live in nc and would be visiting later on this month or early next month. my husband does heating and air work but is willing to change his profession if the pay is right. we are also looking for a 3 bedroom place that allows pets to rent at the $500 mark if that is possible any help would be great. thanks for your time on reading this.
New Market is indeed a beautiful area! And if you really want to move there, then you should. But as mentioned, it is painfully small and to find work may require a 30-45 minute commute. You might be able to find a rental for that much, but don't expect it to be in great shape. Like others have mentioned, check local info for Harrisonburg, Winchester, Woodstock and Mt. Jackson. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 AM

thanks for everyone's help. i surely have done those things already but i do check everyday, you never know when something might pop up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia