U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 AM

774 posts, read 1,610,841 times

Advertisements

ahhh ... sissy77 and the rest! This is great advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 11:18 PM

Default i had to take a second ...

Forgive me for that quick response ... but I had to take some time to start to digest all what you've sent.

This info isn't just suggestions to me ... it's like gold.
This info is a great template for anyone who wants to move out of state ... esp. onto a piece of land somewhere.

Thank you ... each of you.
I'm going to take your suggestions and look at each place mentioned.
And I'm copy and pasting then into a Word document to begin a plan for myself. Sissy77 and the rest of you who've ... hey ... do you realize that out of all the states I've asked questions about, Virginia has been most free and candid about information and most unselfish about suggestions.

I hope to touch bases with each of you later.

Fred

Old 02-26-2012, 07:39 AM

156 posts, read 327,105 times
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SEARCH I know how hard it can be to move from your birth place and leave behind what you have become accustomed too .At least it only takes me 8 hours to get home .Visit the state you choose first and go on the county sights you are thinking of they have great info there .Pittsylvania county offers a GIS sight also where you can look up any house you are interested in and tells you the taxes ,the house size ,the owners name and the value of the house and when it was built and lot size and what the zone is A-1 Agricultural or R-1 is rural one , A-1 allows farm animals R-1 is restricted and other is city limits and taxes are higher .

Old 02-26-2012, 07:59 AM

461 posts, read 1,060,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy77 View Post
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SEARCH I know how hard it can be to move from your birth place and leave behind what you have become accustomed too .At least it only takes me 8 hours to get home .Visit the state you choose first and go on the county sights you are thinking of they have great info there .Pittsylvania county offers a GIS sight also where you can look up any house you are interested in and tells you the taxes ,the house size ,the owners name and the value of the house and when it was built and lot size and what the zone is A-1 Agricultural or R-1 is rural one , A-1 allows farm animals R-1 is restricted and other is city limits and taxes are higher .

I just wanted to comment that the GIS websites are becoming very common in the western areas also.

This is the one for Washington County, VA: netGIS - Washington County, VA

Tennessee has a statewide gateway to GIS: Tennessee Property Data Home Page

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM

I guess they are I know here several counties have them to help get info .Great info thanks jim .I have friends in Tennesee and they are looking to buy and asked me yesterday and now e-mailed them that info .He went there for a job transfer .Do you know of any in Michigan ,my brother lives there and is looking to buy in Flatrock .

Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM

401 posts, read 718,083 times
Nelson county GIS site:
http://www.nelsoncountygis.org/gis.aspx
My neighbors:
All natural, local, grass-fed beef and chicken in central Virginia - Davis Creek Farm

My land and home are in many of the pics on the Davis Creek Farm Site.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 AM

Default aahhhhh

Dear Gregir;

Thank you for the information. But it's just not fair. Please tell your neighbors that. "It's just not fair" ... for them to be living MY dream and doing it so successfully!

((chuckle)) Those are great neighbors to be living next to. Healthy, free range chicken and eggs.... and that beef must melt in your mouth.

I don't eat meat often, but if my body tells me to, I will.

Thank you most sincerely for the added information.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Default storm damage

Well ... this crosses Tennessee off my list...

Widespread Tornado Damage

Sissy77 ... you're right.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 PM

951 posts, read 1,290,662 times
Every state in the U.S. gets tornadoes. Even Hawaii.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:03 PM

You can look online for the most storm damaged states and there ratings .I know my chances here and they are slightly better since I live on the other side of the mountains .Mountains really help keep them at bay or at least slow them down .But you are right the risk is every where ,even in NJ I remember one went through Metuchen .I know her I can raise veggies all winter in my covered beds and in the summer during the hottest I do loose some produce do to the fact it gets to hot for them to flower to make veggies .Tomato's and peppers slow down and then pick back in September .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or