U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:21 PM

871 posts, read 1,709,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I agree No gay men= no theater.

I can see orchestra, Christian performers, Holiday events, Gospel, etc. I am sure LU will screen carefully to make sure Gay men are not involved in anyway
in their offerings.
You seem like you might be about as accepting and tolerant as the folks you judge. Blanket statements are pretty easy to discredit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:29 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,775,140 times
How does anyone know if Liberty U discriminates against gays? Just curious.

The article actually sounds quite promising:
"Alluvion productions will vary greatly from the other shows in the department’s mainstage season . . . . Professional guest artists will be part of the cast and crew, the audition process will be meticulous (with in-house and external auditions), the sets will meet professional standards . . . ." and "Audiences shouldn’t expect anything less than Broadway quality productions . . . ."

However, the mention of performances with a "faith-based cast" seems to lend flavor towards conservative, generic performances instead of ideas that are more diverse and edgy.

Still, I think it's a positive move in the arts direction, especially if there are little to no offerings in the area. Furthermore, a performing arts program not only produces performers -- it will train those in scenography and other skills in production, lighting, fabricating, writing, arts management, etc.

I live near Shenandoah University which has a well-known performing arts program and conservatory of music and it's reputation is growing fast and getting more and more attention from the NoVA-DC area. Theynow have a satellite campus in Norther VA-ashburn and have purchased and renovated historic buildings in Winchester, VA for offices and campus living.

BTW, what's up with the "Peter Pan" performance? Am I missing something here (i.e., it's a great production or great writing, etc.). And wasn't Peter Pan gay or transgendered?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,244,381 times
WWU rescinds offer to Liberty University for law school information fair (School Days Blog) - News Update - bellinghamherald.com (http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/11/11/2267201/wwu-rescinds-offer-to-liberty.html - broken link)

Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM

http://law.liberty.edu/media/1190/20...gram_FINAL.pdf

Old 03-01-2012, 02:28 PM

939 posts, read 1,605,031 times
How is Liberty even taken seriously?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 PM

871 posts, read 1,709,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
How is Liberty even taken seriously?
I guess a SACS accredited school will be taken seriously, at least on most levels. The peer evaluators are all chosen from nominated faculty of other accredited schools- like UVa, W&M, Wake Forest, etc.

If those evaluating the school take LU seriously enough to grant accreditation, I'd take that decision as having more credence than the average person's ill feelings.

TN Lily- In regards to the Western Washington decision- what they did really doesn't bolster anyone's argument; LU Law is very different from LU, itself. You'd find plenty of LU supporters that aren't particularly keen on how combative Matt Staver (the head of the law school and of Fla. based Liberty Counsel) can be about social issues.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 AM

I believe that the policy of LU is similar to that of the law school even though they may not be as open about it.
The schools share a common parentage so to speak.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,775,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
WWU rescinds offer to Liberty University for law school information fair (School Days Blog) - News Update - bellinghamherald.com (http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/11/11/2267201/wwu-rescinds-offer-to-liberty.html - broken link)
Well, seems like according to these articles, that Liberty U has bias against the gay community. Therefore, it does seem like an absolute joke to have a performance venue that excludes this group.

Thanks for sharing TN Lily.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 PM

925 posts, read 2,132,436 times
I live in Seattle and WWU is one of those last vestiges of old hippies and the very PC so take whatever they do with a grain of salt. As a public U they could probably have been sued successfully for not allowing a legal law school to come on campus but how many students from there are going to LU anyway. And of course LU IS a religion faith-based college and their POV is also constitutionally protected. That said LU does not exclude or limit gay enrollment at LU. The only rule is that they have to follow the same rules on social life as the rest of the students. That includes no sex. Now some migth have a problem with the LU rules and positions on issues and they are free not to perform there. But the checks won't bounce so I think it won't be a real problem for many performers needing a gig.

Last edited by badger74; 03-02-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,126,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
You seem like you might be about as accepting and tolerant as the folks you judge. Blanket statements are pretty easy to discredit.

I think LU policies on Gays speak for themselves. None needs a lesson on what
LU is doing to foster more communication with that community(nothing!).
I am sure there will be reservations among the "outside" theater community
about even performing at LU so I guess the perceptions, homophobia go both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia