Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 AM

21 posts, read 66,162 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm currently renting in Fredericksburg and work just south of there in Massaponax. I'm looking to buy a house in the next 6 months and have been looking a lot in the Lake Caroline neighborhood, down past Ladysmith.

My budget is pretty small - under 90k. I've found several prospective places there. My plan is to eventually move out and rent the place to someone - I figure with Fort AP Hill right across the way, it shouldn't be that hard.

It's a nice looking community - pool, docks, etc - but my questions are - how strict/ridiculous/expensive is the HOA? Someone told me the water bill is through the roof because they don't use city water - is that true? What are the options for cable/internet/etc? Do you see the area as growing in the next 10 years? Is it a decent neighborhood overall?

I know nothing about it, and would love to learn a bit more if any of you guys live in the area and know anything about it!

Thx,

Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 AM

743 posts, read 3,899,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceraVivere View Post
I figure with Fort AP Hill right across the way, it shouldn't be that hard.
AP Hill only employs around 400 people, so don't expect too much!

Quote:
how strict/ridiculous/expensive is the HOA?
I believe that the HOA is like $1k/year, and is reasonably strict. (I haven't heard any complaints)

Quote:
Someone told me the water bill is through the roof because they don't use city water - is that true?
True and false. The neighborhood has a private water system that delivers water to the homes. Each home has their own septic field, so there is no sewer bill, though you have to maintain the system. (pump it out every 5-10 years, stuff like that.) The county connected to the neighborhood system, so that in case of emergency the neighborhood could use County water. Well, the water treatment plant broke around 2 years ago, and ever since then the neighborhood has been using County water. The neighborhood company buys the water at a bulk rate, so the bill is still from the private company.
The person who told you about the really high bill might have been thinking of Lake Land'Or, which I have heard of families having $180/month water/sewer bills.

Quote:
What are the options for cable/internet/etc?
Comcast just expended into Lake Caroline last fall, so you can use them for everything, or use Verizon for phone. (Maybe dsl, not sure)

Quote:
Do you see the area as growing in the next 10 years?
Yes, it will grow, definitely.

Quote:
Is it a decent neighborhood overall?
I've heard good things, but have only been in there a couple times.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:03 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
EricD is definitely your guy when it comes to Caroline County!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM

21 posts, read 66,162 times
Awesome, thanks so much for all the help - do you know if there are any other internet providers besides Comcast? They're basically a horror story from what I've heard, and I'd definitely prefer to go with Cox if they're available.

Went and looked at a house today, loved it; I think i'm going to put in an offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: