U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,888 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning on moving to Virgina, so she can pursue her teaching career as their have been a lot of cuts here recently. We currently live out in the coutry outside of the small town of Middleburg, PA. She is a math teacher and I am in the IT field. We are in our late 20's. We enjoy living in the country and being in the outdoors. We both really enjoy hunting and fishing. We also enjoy going to metal concerts, so it would be nice to be within a hour or 2 away from a major city for such events. We would like to get away from some of the arrogant people in this area and get a taste of that southern hospitality.

Could someone please offer us some suggestions to what areas we may be interested in that would fit us? North Carolina would also be an opition to keep in mind for us.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 04:54 AM

1,765 posts, read 3,260,539 times
How about the Tidewater area of Virginia or around Winchester?
Two very different areas, but they may suit your needs.
Hopefully others will chime in.
There is a Hampton Roads forum here where you can read threads about the Tidewater area.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM

3,912 posts, read 5,366,460 times
Good morning. Well, first off, remember people are people and you will have arrogant people everywhere. That being said, stay away from Northern Virginia. It is also the most urban and expensive, by far.

I would suggest south and central Virginia -- i.e., Roanoke, Lynchburg, Harrisonburg. All are within easy reach for hunting, fishing and rock concerts.

I would strongly suggest you read through some threads and then you will be ready to ask far more specific questions. The most obvious thing you will find in those threads is: Find the jobs first. Then you will know more specifically your budget and drive times to work, the budget for housing etc.

Good luck.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,139,876 times
Definately the choice area would be Roanoke Lynchburg Harrisonburg.
Friendly people in NoVa? Not a chance!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 AM

6,971 posts, read 2,599,224 times
For the IT field I would choose Roanoke out of the towns mentioned.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 AM

108 posts, read 178,145 times
I would look at the Shenandoah Valley (Lexington to Strasburg) along with greater Roanoke, Lynchburg, and Charlottesville. You may also want to consider some of the fringe regions of northern Virginia, including Culpeper, Front Royal, Berryville, and Winchester. Despite what others have implied, northern Virginia is not full of unfriendly people. Both friendly and unfriendly people can be found everywhere.

I, too, believe that finding jobs is the necessary first step. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM

156 posts, read 327,813 times
You can go on the virginia jobs sight for schools and what there are in openings for teachers because the whole school system in the country is in the midst of cut backs

Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 AM

8,118 posts, read 9,561,313 times
I would suggest secure jobs first then see what areas appeal to you. With the economy the way it is secured employment is far more important...good luck!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,596,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Definately the choice area would be Roanoke Lynchburg Harrisonburg.
Friendly people in NoVa? Not a chance!
What? Northern Virginia not friendly? just because there are too many people here who seem to think the world ends "outside the beltway" or south of the Rapahanick. No, really look elsewhere especially if your interests are hunting and fishing. The salaries are higher here but it's not worth the high cost of living or the ordeal of traffic. ROVA, rest of Virginia is beautiful and very worth exploring, but as others said, find the jobs first.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:10 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,943,371 times
Stay away from Northern Virgina - a lot of arrogance and entitlement up here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia