U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,394 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm driving from Charlotte, NC to Alexandria, VA. I was thinking of heading I-85 to I-95. Then getting off at exit 161 and getting onto HWY 1.

Looks like I can go from HWY 1 to to Mt Vernon and then hit George Washington Parkway. Would that lead me up to Alexandria where I could simply make a left onto King Street and head down towards the Embassy Suites at the Alexandria Metro?

If anyone has any detail directions, I would be extremely grateful.

Years ago I made this drive without an issue until I hit DC. That is why I"m staying in Alexandria this time to avoid 395 and that congestion and confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM
 
5,330 posts, read 6,123,043 times
Reputation: 2624
Your plan is good except you cannot legally turn left from Washington St (which is what the GW Parkway turns into once in Alexandria) onto King Street.

Duke Street is probably better than King for going to Embassy Suites, (take a left on Duke and then a right on Diagonal Rd) but left turns from Washington St are restricted by time of day, and difficult to manage because of all the oncoming traffic (no green arrow to give you right-of-way). Think about turning right a block before Duke, then left on St Asaph, then left on Duke. Or do the similar "right turn to go left" to get on King.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 08:00 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,394 times
Reputation: 10
Now see that is the kind of information I want to know about! Thank you. I don't like driving that far but with airfare and costs, I just can't afford to get there beside driving. I love DC. It has been a year and a half since visiting.

I'm a bit anxious especially in driving. So the sooner I can get off 95, the better and that just seems to be a more laid back route to get there.

If you think of anything else please let me know. Any suggestions for good restaurants in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 09:59 AM
 
5,330 posts, read 6,123,043 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by itoddm View Post
Now see that is the kind of information I want to know about! Thank you. I don't like driving that far but with airfare and costs, I just can't afford to get there beside driving. I love DC. It has been a year and a half since visiting.

I'm a bit anxious especially in driving. So the sooner I can get off 95, the better and that just seems to be a more laid back route to get there.

If you think of anything else please let me know. Any suggestions for good restaurants in the area?
There are many good restaurants in Old Town Alexandria. Of course, there are many good ones elsewhere in the DC region, too. Most of Old Town's eateries are on King St or just a block or two away from King on side streets. There is a free trolley going up and down King St that can get you from the Metro station all the way down to the Potomac river (it's actually a bus that looks like an old-fashioned trolley, it does not run on rails).

King Street Trolley | T&ES | City of Alexandria, VA

The entertainment/tourist area is more active east of Washington St, but there are a lot of options between your hotel and Washington St on the west side, as well.

If you'll be here on a Saturday, there is a farmers' market at Market Square, 301 King St (where City Hall is), 5:30 am to 11:00 am. It says it's year-round, but I haven't been by there lately on a Saturday to see what it's like this time of year.

Check City of Alexandria, Virginia for more info about the city. A lot of the site is geared towards residents, but there is a visitors' section.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by itoddm View Post
Looks like I can go from HWY 1 to to Mt Vernon and then hit George Washington Parkway. Would that lead me up to Alexandria where I could simply make a left onto King Street and head down towards the Embassy Suites at the Alexandria Metro?.
To get to the parkway from Route 1 you'll want to turn right at the light on 235 at Woodlawn (you'll see the horse stables on your right) and go about 3 miles until you're at the Mount Vernon Estate. Continue through the stop sign there and go halfway around the circle to head toward Old Town up the parkway/Washington St. about 10 miles to Duke Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,394 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
To get to the parkway from Route 1 you'll want to turn right at the light on 235 at Woodlawn (you'll see the horse stables on your right) and go about 3 miles until you're at the Mount Vernon Estate. Continue through the stop sign there and go halfway around the circle to head toward Old Town up the parkway/Washington St. about 10 miles to Duke Street.
That was perfect. I did exactly that. I was nervous but ended not needing to because it was an easy drive overall.

Thanks for all the assistance. It did make a difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:32 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top