Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,282 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband has been offered a promotion with his company and we are considering relocating. The job is in Old Town Alexandria. We would like to find something within a half hour drive of Old Town. We are a family of 4. My husband and I are in our late 30's and our boys are ages 6 and 8 and we have a dog. We are looking for good schools, safe and friendly neighborhood, easy access to DC. We currently live in Chicago and have a 3 bed, 2 bath single family home with a nice size yard. We would be looking for something similar near Old Town. We are thinking of renting before we buy to make sure we like the area. Would love some advice on good cities/neighborhoods for us. Our budget would put $300K home in high range of our budget.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 AM

9,864 posts, read 14,033,524 times
You may want to move oyur post ot the Northern virginia sub-forum. Unfortunately, I don't think that budget will find you what you are looking for within 30 minutes of Old Town. You'll need to commute longer or opt for a smaller townhouse or condo.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 8,282 times
Sorry, this is my first post on this site. How do I get to "sub-forum"s?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,206,096 times
You probably will be limited to a townhouse unless you either move further out or choose a less-desirable neighborhood.

Check zipcode 22310 for listings, it will mostly be townhouses. For a detached house, look at Prince William County east, like Woodbridge, Dale City, Lake Ridge. Others can tell you better than I what the better neighborhoods there are, and if and by how much you'd exceed a 30 minute trip time to Old Town.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM

9,864 posts, read 14,033,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilynn View Post
Sorry, this is my first post on this site. How do I get to "sub-forum"s?
At the top of the forum, the sub-forums are listed (Charlottesville, Hampton Roads, etc). Just click on Northern Virginia, and you are there....

Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,487 times
Default Alexandria, VA Condo - 3 bedroom, 2 bath near King Street Metro

This adorable 3bdrm 2 full ba home boasting over 1200 sq ft of living space offers; fresh neutral paint thru-out, laminate fls, beautiful Kitchen Renov. with new cabinetry, granite c-tops, tile fl, pantry & w/d in unit. Lovely Mbdrm w/Full Ba & w/i closet, large private fenced in rear deck area - great for entertaining & so much more... Close King St Metro, Old Town, I495 & the Eisenhower Area.

http://mrislistings.mris.com/DE.asp?ID=46181560531

Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 AM

1,746 posts, read 2,377,843 times
If you don't know the area, you are very wise to rent first as you suggested. There are a number of more specialized local realty sites, but I recommend Zillow - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Recent Sales, Apartment Rentals as a quick and easy first screener. You can choose to look either at For Sale or For Rent sites.

22310, 22315, 22307, 22306 all have rentals that may suit you and may have homes to consider as well. For example, 5538 Edgemont Dr, Alexandria, VA 22310 MLS# fx7818066 - Zillow.

22303, 22304, 22311, 22312 have have clusters of nice neighborhoods interspersed with not so nice neighborhoods. A 30 minute commute into Old Town may be pushing it due to workday traffic patterns from the last two zips though.

Zips north of Old Town are likely either too urban or too pricey for your needs. If a particular neighborhood looks good to you, click on the Northern Virginia link at the top of the forum page as spencgr suggested and post your questions there. Also, use the expanded City-Data features to also look at neighborhood demographics. To do that, click on the City-Data.com logo at the top left of the page. Feed the zipcode into the search box on the middle of the page that you find. There will be a wealth of demographic info displayed. Keep going down the page to find the area listing neighborhoods. The neighborhoods have their own hyperlinks that allow you to drill down in much more detail for your target area.

Also keep in mind that if a particular rental or sale looks really good, it goes really fast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia