U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,153 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are looking to relocate from Michigan to somewhere warmer and we have a potential job offer in Lynchburg. We're Jewish and we want to make sure that our kids grow up in an area that is diverse. Great schools are a must, but I also want to make sure we're not the only Jewish family in the area.

We're somewhere between conservative and reform, so we don't need to send them to an Orthodox Jewish school or anything, but I don't want them to be excluded or discriminated against. Coming from Michigan, which is very diverse and pretty liberal, my biggest concern is that in Virginia our kids would be the "unicorns" in their schools.

Let me know your thoughts.

We are open to areas surrounding Lynchburg as well, preferably within a 30 minute drive or so if there is an area that would be better for us to live in.

Thanks so much!
-Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:38 AM

3,883 posts, read 5,335,434 times
Hey, there,

Admittedly, I don't know very much about the Jewish population in Lynchburg. There is a synagogue on Langhorne Road, Agudath Sholom. It's been there quite a while. I suppose you could call them and get more details. One thing to consider, most evangelical Christians are very supportive of Isreal and Lynchburg does have a large representation of Evangelical Christians.

You will find the most diversity of political opinion (it's an overwhelmingly white area) in the Peakland/Rivermont/Boonsboro area. There are many lovely neighborhoods over by Langhorne, Link, Boonsboro, Trents Ferry Roads. If you tell a realtor you are interested in the 24503 zip code, I think you'll be just fine.

You must remember, there are four colleges (Lynchburg, Randolph, Sweet Briar and, of course, Liberty) and a large medical center in the area. Lynchburg is not quite as provincial as some seem to think. There are many sophisticated people in Lynchburg.

If you go 30 minutes outside of Lynchburg (in any direction), you're into pretty rural communities.

Best of luck.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 05-15-2012 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: one more thought

Old 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM

8,772 posts, read 10,674,733 times
I'm pretty sure in Lynchburg there will be no Orthodox day school, or conservative day school, or pluralist day school.

If there's anything Jewish besides the synagogues Id be surprised.

it does appear that the only synagogue is agudath shalom, which is reform. While historically many reform synagogues in small southern cities leaned classically Reform, in some places where there is no Conservative shul the R shul ends up more moderate, as they draw the C families. Not sure about this one, I'd suggest calling.

note, Im of the "it takes a shtetl" school of thought - I live in Northern Va, and wouldnt attempt to raise jewish children in a town with such sparse Jewish life if I had any choice, but your tastes evidently are different. Mazel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia