U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 AM

83 posts, read 97,360 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my husband and I live in Michigan, and if you have heard anything about Michigan lately it sucks. The people here are so rude, and the economy and crime rate is horrible. I lived in NC after high school (20 years ago) near Hendersonville and fell in love with the people and mountains. After a ton of research, it seems like Virginia has it all - great people, your employment rate is one of the best in the US, and beautiful mountains seems just like my cup of tea.

I am trying to find somewhere that has that has mountains and that "Country" feel but also be able to find a job. We are both nearing our 40's with no kids. My husband is a utility driver for a vending company, and I am in insurance (home & auto). I really like the look of the Waynesboro/Harrisonburg areas, and subscribe to both their newspapers online through the e-edition. It seems like the only jobs available in Waynesboro are professional, like nurses and engineers where Harrisonburg seems to have more of a general employment base. I would also be open to the western part of the state, it looks like there are mountains too - but it seems more like a retiree region. Please correct me if I am wrong? We would be renting for the first year or two, since once we are here it will be so much easier to find where we want to permanently be. It is so hard to try and look from so far away and any insight on both cities would be appreciated. Also, are there any good job search engines you use besides Craigslist? I have tried looking on monster.com and careerbuilder.com (they are really big up here) but there seems to be only 3 jobs a week posted for VA. Oh, and pie rocks! Thank you!

Last edited by Anita Lebeck; 06-06-2012 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: forgot to mention something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:27 AM

358 posts, read 664,549 times
Both the papers should have an employment/jobs section which i'm sure you've checked, Staunton (between Waynesboro & Harrisonburg) has an online paper too, Newsleader.com.

Try 'harrisonburghelpwanted.com'. It's a local job site, there are others for the area just substitute each city name before the "helpwanted" part.

The western part of the state your referring to I assume is the panhandle region(near KY & TN), it is very rural and not many opportunities at all. The entire I-81 corridor from Winchester to Roanoke will fit your general wants of "country near mountains". There are really a lot of choices if you want to be near mountains, as you've found out it's all about finding a job.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 AM

Thank you so much for your advice... the western part I was referring to WAS the panhandle and thank you so much for clarifying. I have looked at Roanoke too but coming from a town of 40,000 it just seems so big to narrow down a place to live there. But I will check out Staunton newspaper too, and thank you so much for the job websites!!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:34 AM

925 posts, read 2,138,353 times
Decent jobs are very hard to find in Central Virginia outside of healthcare and some skilled manufacturing jobs. I would not recommend moving without at least a year's worth of money to live on. It is much better suited as a place to retire and maybe get a part-time job. COL is moderate and scenery is great. Weather not bad either compared to upper midwest.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Thank you for the advice...we are not looking to move until probably 2014 or so...I have a condo to sell and the housing market in Michigan is terrible. We will be saving until then, and hopefully the economy will be better in Central VA by then. We are taking a trip next year down to VA to check out Waynesboro, Staunton, and Harrisonburg. If I have to work in Charlottesville and live in Waynesboro that will not be that bad. I am in insurance but currenly in the middle of my Bachelors of Holistic Heath. So maybe that medical background will help. Thank you so much for any help or advice!!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:58 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,142,150 times
Just a sidenote I was passing through Waynesboro last week and stopped at Kathys Restaurant which I recommend when you visit there. The place is done in a 1960s era style, waiters are friendly and the food wonderful, especially breakfast. I hope you are successful in your job search but I can tell you the healthcare field is strong in Roanoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or