Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:17 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,871 times

Advertisements

Looks like the bottom of the blue ridge mountains are about 60 miles from here.

Any decent "local" vacation spot out that way without having to drive northwest to Front Royal etc?

I want something quiet and peaceful. (I have a baby and a toddler).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:47 PM

743 posts, read 3,900,635 times
Alum Springs Park in Fredericksburg? Best park in the area if you ask me. Although this drought might have dried up the stream that runs through there... but anyways, there's a good sized playground, stream, rope bridge, cave-like rock outcroppings by the stream, walking trails... Definately a good place to go and relax. Sometimes you have to pay on the weekends, but if you go during the week days, there's generally no-one at the gate. Just take Rt. 3 east, and then turn RIGHT at the light where you'd normally turn left to go downtown. Go to the end of the street, and there it is.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
Alum Springs Park in Fredericksburg? Best park in the area if you ask me. Although this drought might have dried up the stream that runs through there... but anyways, there's a good sized playground, stream, rope bridge, cave-like rock outcroppings by the stream, walking trails... Definately a good place to go and relax. Sometimes you have to pay on the weekends, but if you go during the week days, there's generally no-one at the gate. Just take Rt. 3 east, and then turn RIGHT at the light where you'd normally turn left to go downtown. Go to the end of the street, and there it is.
Thank you for this, my wife will love this especially due to some of the historical events that transpired.

Anywhere to stay over the weekend there or in that area that isn't too expensive and is family oriented that you know of?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 PM

Ummm, Alum Springs Park would be anywhere from 10-30 minutes from your house, depending on where you live in Spotsylvania... would be more of a day trip, or even a part-day trip.

I guess I understand a little better what you're looking for. You want more of like a weekend trip? I'll sleep on it.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
Ummm, Alum Springs Park would be anywhere from 10-30 minutes from your house, depending on where you live in Spotsylvania... would be more of a day trip, or even a part-day trip.

I guess I understand a little better what you're looking for. You want more of like a weekend trip? I'll sleep on it.
A weekend trip, or even a hotel to stay at right next to Alum Springs Park would to it.

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2007, 01:32 PM

Well, there's no hotel within walking distance to the park. (Only apartments)

I think they built a new hotel in downtown (near the new parking garage), but I forgot which chain it was.

You're so close, I don't think Fredericksburg would make a good over-night trip... you'd be better off just sleeping at home.

Nothing is coming to mind for a good over-night trip yet... but I'll keep thinking.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:11 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,149,303 times
I agree with Eric - if you live in Spotsy, Fredericksburg is a day trip.

Now, for a long weekend, how about Lake Anna? I googled Lake Anna State Park and came up with the following link (Lake Anna State Park). You might enjoy that outing with your family.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:58 PM

Yeah, I was actually about to post that. The park has cabins you can rent. I'd go soon though... you don't want to bother going when it gets too cold.

Also, I've never been there, but I hear that Colonial Beach is nice. It's about an hour's drive East of Fredericksburg. There's probably some nice places to stay out there.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,231 times
Try Grave's Mountain Lodge - out near Madison VA - Route 3 West to 29 South, probably an hour's drive, maybe a little more, very pretty, nice little cabins for rent & very yummy southern food. Colonial Beach has improved some lately, but I wouldn't recommend it for a family trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia