U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2006, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,704 times

Advertisements

Planning on moving to williamsburg area within 2 years....what areas in and around up to 25 miles or 40 minute commute can i find with apartments up to 975 a month and a nice community atmosphere. Also if anyone has any idea of the healthcare field; what if any positions may be available for an occupational therapist in those areas (any state facilities)....? ) thank-you for any and all info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2006, 01:35 AM

5 posts, read 61,739 times
lol, for $975, you may be able to get a motel for the weekend. The burg is pretty expensive. Stay off of Richmond Road.

Youe best chance may be to take the commute on the Parkway to York County. Pretty decent commute ( nice's views ). Check out the the Tabb district or lower seaford area. Poquoson is a very nice area and that would be very much cheaper than the Burg itself. There is NO value living in Williamsburg. You will pay more than top value in Williamsburg. Why pay 1.4 million for a 1 million $ house.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Good Luck

Old 04-06-2006, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 27,788 times
Default Bill'sburg

Williamsburg is a nice pretty place to visit with lots of history. Don't know about apartments but housing prices are skyrocketing. Williamsburg has long been a retirement mecca for folks with money from Northern Virginia. I heard recently that it has become one of the top spots in the country for retirement (don't know how true that is). The town is dominated by the College of William and Mary and the Williamsburg Foundation (runs the historical sites) so little focus outside those two institutions. (Busch Gardens is near-by if that's of interest) Of course Williamsburg has a small hospital and it has Eastern State mental institution.
South of Bill'sburg is Newport News which might give more employment opportunities and about one hour north is Richmond which has the hugh Medical College of Virginia (MCV) complex which seems to be slowly taking over the city. I use to know of a doctor who took the train every morning from Williamsburg to Richmond to work at MCV then returned every afternoon -don't know what that might cost today. I enjoy visiting my folks who live in Williamsburg but don't think I could live there even if cost wasn't a problem.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:23 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,537,308 times
Default williamsburg

I also wanted to live in the burg 7 years ago, however I looked at new carriage homes in or near williamsburg commons, they statrted at 145,000.

I ended up in Florida with a detached villa new for 116000.

I did love Williamsburg however I did not have the money to live their. Newport News is near and did not seem as expensive.

judy

Old 04-16-2006, 07:42 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,619,183 times
Default wmburg

you could live in new kent county and drive 20 to 30 min west to richmond on i-64, the yorktown area prices have exploded this year and maybe pretty steep right know , as i said for the $1000.00 i would look to new kent which is a rural county which is quickly growing into suburbia so the faster you make up your mind the more house you will get, but what ever come on down ya hear!!! va is the place to live imho!

Old 07-11-2006, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 13,711 times
Default Some opinions

True about W'burg being expensive but the housing market has levelled off now and it's a buyer's market it seems. I wouldn't live in Newport News again if you paid me -- too much crime compared to up here. It's very peaceful and quiet here and very beautiful compared to other cities. I do think the housing is very expensive, but it's an investment to me and I don't mind because it's worth it. My son just rented a 2 BR apt for $800 a month plus utilities, so I know it can be done. (It's a nice one!) Others are a little higher, but take a look around and I'm sure you'll find something you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or