Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,167 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m an African American male in my early 20s. I am looking for a nice city to move where I will be safe and not feel unwelcome. I recognize that Woodbridge is affordable but quite not sure. I attend DeVy University, there are three campus located in Virginia, Arlington, Chesapeake, and Manassas. Job market stinks in South Florida. Hows the job market/economy in Virginia ?

For monthly rent I can afford $500-$700. Don’t care too much for the party/club scene but at the same time do not want to live in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,756,930 times
That why you read previous threads - ALL this as been addressed.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,119 times
Though it would be helpful to read other threads, and I'm not an expert on your specifics, I'd guess the Chesapeake area would probably suit you best from a cost perspective

Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times
Forget Manassas or Woodbridge for $500-700 a month.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,397,795 times
WayneGTR -

$500 - 700 per month IS doable in NoVA if you are willing to make some fairly big compromises. You will not find anything in this range on your own but might be able to find something in your range if you are willing to take a room in a group shared townhouse/condo or mobile home in an somewhat less trendy area such as Woodbridge. You can still commute into greater WashDC NoVA/DC/MD via bus connections. Go to a room mate matching service such as Roommates, roommate finder and roommate search service. I found multiple listings for roommates in Woodbridge for less than $700. I'm not saying it's the greatest, but it's doable. As an African-American man in your 20s you will find the NoVA area extremely diverse with people from every ethnic background all jumbled in together.

Safe ... eh, safety is a relative concept. You will find some people who say that the area is not safe, and little old ladies who have tottered around there all their lives and nobody said Boo to them. Depends on who you talk to. "Nice"? Define nice. Woodbridge in most parts is not the nicest area but again, via the bus you can get to some great places. Woodbridge itself has plenty of shopping, a big nature reserve, close to the river. Great times depend on what crowd you chose to hang with or avoid.

The roommate search sites also show a fair number of rooms available in your range in Manassas, Gainsville, Fairfax, etc. If you want to be closer to Arlington, check out places with bus and metro access nearby such as Alexandria, Springfield, Annandale etc. Don't rule out DC and Maryland either but check into these very carefully. Start by using the search function in the city-data forums to read up on them.

Good luck.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,732,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
That why you read previous threads - ALL this as been addressed.
wow, that's a harsh answer...this would be a pretty boring forum if you just directed everyone to old posts...things change...give the guy some current answers...sheesh!

i'm sorry i can't help, i don't live in that area...i'm thinking the people up there might be kind of rude

Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
wow, that's a harsh answer...this would be a pretty boring forum if you just directed everyone to old posts...things change...give the guy some current answers...sheesh!

i'm sorry i can't help, i don't live in that area...i'm thinking the people up there might be kind of rude
Not rude - true, a basic, simple search shows: average rents, jobs, etc. - no need for thousands of threads asking the same thing. BTW, do you just read all threads to reply to things you don't know?

Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,732,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not rude - true, a basic, simple search shows: average rents, jobs, etc. - no need for thousands of threads asking the same thing. BTW, do you just read all threads to reply to things you don't know?
are you always this snippy or did i just stumble across you on a good day?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:47 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
are you always this snippy or did i just stumble across you on a good day?
Always snippy.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Always snippy.
no idea why that was posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia