Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 08:16 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,905 times

Advertisements

So I am out of work right now and applying for a job with the Treasury which requires a Treasury clearance.

All of the sudden and out of the blue, I get a "Request for Tax Return" from Virginia advising that they received my Federal Tax Return information from the IRS and that I never filed a Tax Return for the year 2009.

I have my completed TurboTax form here but perhaps it slipped my mind and I just paid the IRS and not Virginia. My Bank Statements from back then don't show the check clearing either.

I immediately sent an apology letter and the original payment amount (was next to nothing in the first place) asking them to either forgive the late fees and interest or let me know what additional penalties I owe.

What sort of trouble can I get into for this situation? Are they likely to accept the check and leave me alone or??

I am worried it will cost me my tentative Treasury job.

I am worried that this will turn into an audit. I don't know if I am down on my luck, but I feel like this State is leaching me for everything these days. Clean driving record for 9 years and then suddenly 2 BS tickets in a year...now this.

GONNA CHANGE MY NAME TO VA UNLUCKY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 PM

31 posts, read 61,092 times
The same thing happened to me too-I was a part-time resident that year. I sent the return in and that was it. I think they are doing some internal auditing to try and get more tax revenue. I don't know about the Treasury clearance situation, but I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Revenues are down in the Commonwealth in 2012...

Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterneratheart View Post
The same thing happened to me too-I was a part-time resident that year. I sent the return in and that was it. I think they are doing some internal auditing to try and get more tax revenue. I don't know about the Treasury clearance situation, but I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Revenues are down in the Commonwealth in 2012...
I feel a little bit better. Last I had, they had a 100 million dollar surplus. Did they let you know everything was ok after you sent the return in?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 PM

31 posts, read 61,092 times
No, they did not, but if there is a problem I am sure they will let you know.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterneratheart View Post
No, they did not, but if there is a problem I am sure they will let you know.
Haha, I bet they will!

Old 10-27-2012, 01:49 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Two BS tickets? So the officers just picked you out and decided to pick on you?

Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Two BS tickets? So the officers just picked you out and decided to pick on you?
It all started when I began driving a red car and evidently around the time Virginia started losing revenues. The last years 8 years prior to that were ticket free. My driving record until that point would have spoken for itself in other States, but not in Virginia. Revenue is far too important here.

I have read your posts in the past on this forum being that you seem to be a retired LEO. Your thoughts on what to do in traffic court etc., are appreciated but not sure what you are hoping to accomplish here with your sarcasm. My credibility is certified to be as high as anyone elses based on what I do for a living without having to be or have been a LEO.

I am free to feel the way that I feel unless they are outlawing that in VA too now. If they are, please send me the official memo. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Last edited by va_lucky; 10-27-2012 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-27-2012, 02:29 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
I'm not doubting your credibility. Our opinions might differ on what constitutes a BS ticket though.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:49 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
I like to imagine there's a copy of the Bill of Rights hanging on a wall in the state Capitol with a big red stamp across it that reads "Void Where Prohibited by Law".

Old 10-30-2012, 09:25 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I like to imagine there's a copy of the Bill of Rights hanging on a wall in the state Capitol with a big red stamp across it that reads "Void Where Prohibited by Law".
"Void Where Prohibited by Law and Depending on How Much Money We Need"

fixed it for ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia