U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 AM
912 912 started this thread

1,531 posts, read 2,614,918 times

Advertisements

Saw this:

2012: The year in retail - Roanoke.com

One shopping center in Roanoke still remains bank-owned. Valley Bank is searching for a buyer for Ivy Market, the Franklin Road development which it bought at auction. Bank CEO and President Ellis Gutshall has said he wants to find a grocery tenant, because that is what the space - which initially housed a Ukrop's supermarket -- is set up for. The bank has marketed to grocers including Kroger, Publix, Earth Fare, Whole Foods and Harris Teeter.

And various rumblings about Publix buying out the Food City chain as a vehicle to enter VA. Does anyone have a Publix Supermarket in there town?

Could get interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 PM

715 posts, read 1,948,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
And various rumblings about Publix buying out the Food City chain as a vehicle to enter VA.
Old rumor, 2008-9ish largely seen as dead. The rumor was that Publix wanted Food City's Tennessee stores but was not interested in the largely rural Virginia and Kentucky towns they serve, southwest of Roanoke.

However, it looks like Publix may have found their Virginia opening. Harris Teeter has hired JP Morgan Chase to consider strategic options (aka: a sale of the company). Publix and Kroger are seen as the most likely suitors. Might be a good time to write Publix to express your support if they make the plunge and enter Virginia in force. This would be a great pickup for Publix and the Harris Teeter customer base would seem to fit very well.
Report: Harris Teeter considers sale of chain | Consumer News | NewsObserver.com

Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 AM

715 posts, read 1,948,533 times
Kroger is buying Harris Teeter. Kind of a disappointment because at least in Virginia Kroger is already an option to most.
Kroger buys Harris Teeter grocery chain for $2.4B

Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 AM

3,886 posts, read 5,336,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
Kroger is buying Harris Teeter. Kind of a disappointment because at least in Virginia Kroger is already an option to most.
Kroger buys Harris Teeter grocery chain for $2.4B

Yeah, I was really hoping Publix would buy them to get into the Northern Virginia market. Oh well.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,545 times
I pray they DO ! in fact I wish it soooo much I'll just add it to my list of daily prayers !

Food Lion is the equivalent of Fla's Winn-Dixie; your quintessential white trash grocery store. Walmart is the quintessential trash-of- all - races grocery store. Kroger is the quintessential ghetto trash grocery store. ( just look at where they're located !!! ) That leaves only Harris Teeter and Farm Fresh ; which is pricier than Publix and doesn't have Publix's standard BOGO feature. So I'd say the market is there....
Farm Fresh is high, quality, clean and offers delicious salad bar but their deli & fresh subs do not come close to Publix. Also their stores don't have the "at home" feel that Publix does....
Harris Teeter is beautiful, clean and well-stocked w/ international offerings but too pricey on most days. you have to browse and make a concerned effort to find sales.....
Maybe I am spoiled; but I think its room for improvement - ie Publix - in every state ; incl Va......

Also Trader' Joe's has a narrow product line and isn't "one-stop" shopping. I love the way Publix hires only naturally happy, courteous people. Publix is owned BY their employees, so they take a personal pride in what they do. I think that makes all the difference is the world !!

Old 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,545 times
Quote:
[URL="http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/07/09/kroger-harris-teeter-deal/2501231/"]Kroger buys Harris Teeter grocery chain for $2.4B[/URL]

SAY GOOD BYE TO HARRIS TEETER AS WE KNOW IT !!!!!

Old 07-19-2014, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,455 times
I work for a Publix in Florida and my dream is to live in virginia and transfer to a store there I would move in a heart beat. It's so beautiful there, and Publix is a wonderful place to work and shop, Publix would also provide many jobs, we never frown upon hiring. it's a clean and well organized company, that loves providing promere customer service. So I hope the chain continues into virgina, it would make me soo happy.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 AM

124 posts, read 139,934 times
Hate to bump this thread...as a former resident of Va who lives in SC where we have Publix.....its an eye opener for you! The service is great! Their price point is about the same as Kroger/Food Lion but what makes up for it is the fact that they have ctazy good sales ALL THE TIME. It seems that they rotate their sales items quite a bit and if you missed the sale on say....Dishwasher liquid....just wait a few weeks, it'll come back and its like that gor just about everything in the store! They dont do loyalty programs cuz you dont need it there! They also walk out to the car and load groceries in the car for you and PLEASE DONT TIP them! Customer service is freaking awesome and YES get a sub from the deli......better than a Firehouse, Subway, Jersey Mikes, Jimmy John's any day of the week!

I live right across the street from a Publix and Im a frequent shopper. If you time it right with the sales, you come out better than going to WalMart depending on what your grocery needs are!

Old 07-25-2014, 06:12 PM

11,363 posts, read 20,159,003 times
I haven't seen huge changes at Harris Teeter (other than what they wear) - still shop the sales there as well as other grocery stores.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:24 PM

19,960 posts, read 18,797,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
It would be nice if Publix did come to Virginia. I miss it from Florida.
Quote:
Please feel free to provide counterpoints if you don't agree and we can debate. If you think they could operate or expand in a different way than any other store, please enlighten me.

Publix is the 4th largest supermarket chain in the nation, yet only present in 6 states, primarily Florida, so historically they don't expand over large distances rapidly. Charlotte to VA is a large distance. Virginia is also very competetive market for both high-end and low-end grocers.
It will be nice to see Publix come to Virginia. It will be several years before it enters Virginia, if it is in its plans.

The Charlotte Division currently has 49 stores spanning all of North Carolina, all of South Carolina except Beaufort and Jasper counties, and Augusta-Richmond County, Georgia.

Publix would need to open 200 additional stores in North Carolina and South Carolina and open a distribution center in Charlotte, North Carolina to have a solidified division.

Each Publix division has about 250 stores and one or two distribution centers, dependent on the geographic, specialty and volume needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I don't know much about Publix but in the Va Beach area Food Lion dominates and probably in most south Hampton Roads cities. Most are clean and have been renovated recently. Farm Fresh is a local slightly upscale favorite with Harris Teeter behind that. Then there is Fresh Market, Trader Joes and a new Whole Foods. I think our market is pretty saturated myself.
It is very rare to see Food Lion dominate. Most of their stores lack necessities (i.e. pharmacies) and operate five to seven years before closing.

Food Lion's struggles will continue with Publix, Kroger/Harris Teeter and Walmart Neighborhood Market in North Carolina and Virginia markets respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or